Re: [libreoffice-users] Frustrated with stupid behavior while trying to do a project.

Re: [libreoffice-users] Frustrated with stupid behavior while trying to do a project.

Wade Smart-2
Highlight the cell, the blank area in the cell. You may not see anything,
or they may not be anything in the cell but some how protection is turned
on.
--
Registered Linux User: #480675
Registered Linux Machine: #408606

On Mon, Jun 4, 2018 at 6:59 PM, Peggy <[hidden email]> wrote:

> This is the only cell I've found so far with the problem. There is no text
> in it to select. The document itself is not read only.
>
> On Mon, Jun 4, 2018 at 7:42 PM, Wade Smart <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> From the help menu:
>>
>> You can enable a selection cursor in a read-only text document or in the
>> Help.
>> Choose Edit - Select Text or open the context menu of a read-only document
>> and choose Select Text. The selection cursor does not blink.
>>
>> --
>> Registered Linux User: #480675
>> Registered Linux Machine: #408606
>> Linux since June 2005
>>

>> On Mon, Jun 4, 2018 at 6:27 PM, Peggy <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> > I am using a table to list all of our scattered names, phone numbers,
>> > etc
>> > to keep them together in alphabetical order. It means I guess where the
>> > names go and cut and paste to put entries in the correct places. All has
>> > been fine, until now.
>> >
>> > Now suddenly, I can't cut and paste one of the cells. It cuts, but won't
>> > paste where I want it to go.. I tried to just write the information into
>> > the cell and get this message: "Read only content; Write protected
>> > content
>> > cannot be changed. No modifications will not be accepted"
>> >
>> > It's my document for heaven's sake. I didn't write protect it. I've
>> > tried
>> > to find a place under the table menu where something got changed and
>> > can't.
>> > If I have to I'll try save it under another name and then see if the
>> > problem sticks, but I shouldn't have to.
>> >
>> > Can anyone tell me how this glitch happened and if there's anything I
>> > can
>> > do to change it?
>> >
>> > I've been working all day and hoped to finish tonight. What's wrong with
>> > this program! I would be so grateful for an answer!
>> >
>> > Peggy

Re: [libreoffice-users] Frustrated with stupid behavior while trying to do a project.

Craig Russell-2
Highlight the cell that you cannot type anything into. Choose "Format Cells..." from the Format menu. Choose "Cell Protection" from the Format Cells popup.

Is the cell protected?

> On Jun 4, 2018, at 5:08 PM, Wade Smart <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Highlight the cell, the blank area in the cell. You may not see anything,
> or they may not be anything in the cell but some how protection is turned
> on.
> --
> Registered Linux User: #480675
> Registered Linux Machine: #408606
> Linux since June 2005
>

> On Mon, Jun 4, 2018 at 6:59 PM, Peggy <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> This is the only cell I've found so far with the problem. There is no text
>> in it to select. The document itself is not read only.
>>
>> On Mon, Jun 4, 2018 at 7:42 PM, Wade Smart <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> From the help menu:
>>>
>>> You can enable a selection cursor in a read-only text document or in the
>>> Help.
>>> Choose Edit - Select Text or open the context menu of a read-only document
>>> and choose Select Text. The selection cursor does not blink.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Registered Linux User: #480675
>>> Registered Linux Machine: #408606
>>> Linux since June 2005

Craig L Russell

Re: [libreoffice-users] Frustrated with stupid behavior while trying to do a project.

W. Robert J. Funnell, Prof.
Peggy, I'm glad it's working now. - Robert

On Mon, 4 Jun 2018, Peggy wrote:

> Robert, if I chose the table menu, I find the "protect cells" feature. I
> used it and could type in the cell. But when I tried to cut and paste from
> my other cell, it wouldn't paste, and when I tried to type in it again,
> there was the same problem. So I think I clicked the protect cells feature
> for both the one I cut the text from, and the one I was trying to paste to
> and this time it worked. I sure can't figure out what happened, but am
> grateful it's working now. Hopefully this doesn't happen often because I
> need to finish this tonight.
> Thanks again for your help!
> Peggy
>
> On Mon, Jun 4, 2018 at 8:12 PM, Peggy <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Thanks for the reply, Robert. I did right click the cell, but every thing
>> is grayed out except "select" which selects the column, row or table;
>> "Number Format" and "Table properties" And I can't find anything in those
>> that lets me select "unprotected cells."
>>
>> On Mon, Jun 4, 2018 at 7:57 PM, Robert Funnell <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Peggy -
>>>
>>> I don't really understand Wade Smart's response, but have you tried
>>> right-clicking in the affect cell and selecting 'Unprotect Cells'?
>>>
>>> - Robert
>>>
>>> On Mon, 4 Jun 2018, Wade Smart wrote:
>>>
>>> From the help menu:

Re: [libreoffice-users] Frustrated with stupid behavior while trying to do a project.

David Robley
> I am using a table to list all of our scattered names, phone numbers,
> etc to keep them together in alphabetical order. It means I guess
> where the
> names go and cut and paste to put entries in the correct places. All has
> been fine, until now.
You need to know that Writer has the ability to sort paragraphs or table
rows; press F1 for Help and search for "sort" for more information. his
feature may save you a lot of time and possible errors.

Cheers
--
David Robley

Useless Invention: Muffler Bearings.