Re: [macsupport] macOS X 10.15 Catalina - Notarization

Re: [macsupport] macOS X 10.15 Catalina - Notarization

Peter Kovacs-3
Do you have XCode 10?

Maybe we could bring 4.1.7 through the notification. And if we hurry
maybe we can bring 4.1.8. also through. Not sure throught.

I am already looking into alternatives.

All the Best

Peter

On 06.10.19 18:16, Dave Fisher wrote:

> Forwarding to the dev list for proper discussion.
>
> Regards,
> Dave
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
>> On Oct 6, 2019, at 9:08 AM, Julian Thomas <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Is OO going to follow these procedures?  Inquiring Mac users need to know!
>>
>>> Begin forwarded message:
>>>
>>> From: "Daniel Settles [hidden email] [macsupportcentral]" <[hidden email]>
>>> Subject: [macsupport] macOS X 10.15 Catalina - Notarization
>>> Date: October 6, 2019 at 11:04:20 EDT
>>> To: MacSupportCentral 1 main <[hidden email]>
>>>
>>> Howdy.
>>>
>>> Notarization is a security topic that is confusing to many.
>>>
>>> This is a very brief article from Apple's developer web site on a
>>> relaxation of Notarization until January 2010.
>>>
>>> This is intended as only a basic introduction to this topic.
>>>
>>> "Notarizing Your Mac Software for macOS Catalina
>>>
>>> September 3, 2019
>>>
>>> As a reminder, Mac software distributed outside the Mac App Store must
>>> be notarized by Apple in order to run on macOS Catalina. To make this
>>> transition easier and to protect users on macOS Catalina who continue
>>> to use older versions of software, we’ve adjusted the notarization
>>> prerequisites until January 2020.
>>> You can now notarize Mac software that:
>>>
>>>    •    Doesn’t have the Hardened Runtime capability enabled.
>>>    •    Has components not signed with your Developer ID.
>>>    •    Doesn’t include a secure timestamp with your code-signing signature.
>>>    •    Was built with an older SDK.
>>>    •    Includes the com.apple.security.get-task-allow entitlement with the
>>> value set to any variation of true.
>>>
>>> Make sure to submit all versions of your software. While Xcode 10 or
>>> later is still required to submit, you don’t need to rebuild or
>>> re-sign your software before submission."
>>>
>>> Denver Dan
>>>

>>> [|][|][|][|][|][|][|][|][|][|][|][|][|][|][|][|][|][|][|][|][|][|][|][|][|][|][|]
>>>
>>> iSent from iDan's GyazMail on my MacPro
>>>

>>> ------------------------------------
>>> Posted by: Daniel Settles <[hidden email]>
>>>
>>> <*> Your email settings:
>>>   Individual Email | Traditional
>>>
>>> <*> To change settings online go to:
>>>   (Yahoo! ID required)
>>>
>>> <*> To change settings via email:
>>>   [hidden email]
>>>   [hidden email]
>>>
>>> <*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
>>>   [hidden email]
>>>
>>> <*> Your use of Yahoo Groups is subject to:
>>>   https://info.yahoo.com/legal/us/yahoo/utos/terms/
>>>
>> —
>> jt - [hidden email]
>>
>> Form follows function. - Louis Sullivan

Re: [macsupport] macOS X 10.15 Catalina - Notarization

Dave Fisher-2
Hi -

(Dropping users@)

Judging by quick reading that Xcode 10 or better is required for Apple’s new scheme and the fact that we are currently using Xcode 7 (IIRC) in order to function on MacOSX 10.7 - Lion, I think we may have to consider offering two Mac builds. At this point Lion is very old and is not supported by any modern browsers, many websites no longer work. I’ve upgraded to the highest versions for my current oldest Mac, an early 2008 iMac. That version is El Capitan - 10.11.6.

I am now installing the latest Xcode 11 which was released in the last two weeks which comes with Catalina. I will see how 4.2/4.1.7 work.

Regards,
Dave

> On Oct 6, 2019, at 11:02 AM, Peter Kovacs <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Do you have XCode 10?
>
> Maybe we could bring 4.1.7 through the notification. And if we hurry
> maybe we can bring 4.1.8. also through. Not sure throught.
>
> I am already looking into alternatives.
>
> All the Best
>
> Peter
>
> On 06.10.19 18:16, Dave Fisher wrote:
>> Forwarding to the dev list for proper discussion.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Dave
>>
>> Sent from my iPhone
>>
>>> On Oct 6, 2019, at 9:08 AM, Julian Thomas <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Is OO going to follow these procedures?  Inquiring Mac users need to know!

>>> —
>>> jt - [hidden email]
>>>
>>> Form follows function. - Louis Sullivan

Re: [macsupport] macOS X 10.15 Catalina - Notarization

Jim Jagielski
With 4.1.x we use Xcode 7 and w/ 4.2.x and later we do use Xcode 10, BUT we use Xcode 10 with the 10.11SDK installed. The requirement for the 10.11SDK (and no later) is due to Quicktime which is no longer provided in later SDKs, so for full compliance, we'd need to remove that dependency and use the latest Apple recommended framework.

This is not my area of expertise and so I'm not sure how long that would take or how hard/easy that is.

> On Oct 6, 2019, at 2:43 PM, Dave Fisher <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi -
>
> (Dropping users@)
>
> Judging by quick reading that Xcode 10 or better is required for Apple’s new scheme and the fact that we are currently using Xcode 7 (IIRC) in order to function on MacOSX 10.7 - Lion, I think we may have to consider offering two Mac builds. At this point Lion is very old and is not supported by any modern browsers, many websites no longer work. I’ve upgraded to the highest versions for my current oldest Mac, an early 2008 iMac. That version is El Capitan - 10.11.6.
>
> I am now installing the latest Xcode 11 which was released in the last two weeks which comes with Catalina. I will see how 4.2/4.1.7 work.
>
> Regards,
> Dave
>
>> On Oct 6, 2019, at 11:02 AM, Peter Kovacs <[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>>
>> Do you have XCode 10?
>>
>> Maybe we could bring 4.1.7 through the notification. And if we hurry
>> maybe we can bring 4.1.8. also through. Not sure throught.
>>
>> I am already looking into alternatives.
>>
>> All the Best
>>
>> Peter
>>
>> On 06.10.19 18:16, Dave Fisher wrote:
>>> Forwarding to the dev list for proper discussion.
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>> Dave
>>>
>>> Sent from my iPhone

>> For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>

Re: [macsupport] macOS X 10.15 Catalina - Notarization

Peter Kovacs-3
Did you have any findings?

I have not much time. But if you or jim have time to look into the
notarization, I would steal some time in order to guide you through the
process to gain an Apple dev account that allows you to sign you will
need for an official notarization.

sry I do not have more time at the moment. :(

On 06.10.19 20:43, Dave Fisher wrote:

> Hi -
>
> (Dropping users@)
>
> Judging by quick reading that Xcode 10 or better is required for Apple’s new scheme and the fact that we are currently using Xcode 7 (IIRC) in order to function on MacOSX 10.7 - Lion, I think we may have to consider offering two Mac builds. At this point Lion is very old and is not supported by any modern browsers, many websites no longer work. I’ve upgraded to the highest versions for my current oldest Mac, an early 2008 iMac. That version is El Capitan - 10.11.6.
>
> I am now installing the latest Xcode 11 which was released in the last two weeks which comes with Catalina. I will see how 4.2/4.1.7 work.
>
> Regards,
> Dave
>
>> On Oct 6, 2019, at 11:02 AM, Peter Kovacs <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Do you have XCode 10?
>>
>> Maybe we could bring 4.1.7 through the notification. And if we hurry
>> maybe we can bring 4.1.8. also through. Not sure throught.
>>
>> I am already looking into alternatives.
>>
>> All the Best
>>
>> Peter
>>
>> On 06.10.19 18:16, Dave Fisher wrote:
>>> Forwarding to the dev list for proper discussion.
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>> Dave
>>>
>>> Sent from my iPhone

Re: [macsupport] macOS X 10.15 Catalina - Notarization

Dave Fisher-2
Hi -

> On Oct 16, 2019, at 3:14 PM, Peter Kovacs <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Did you have any findings?

Not yet.

> I have not much time. But if you or jim have time to look into the
> notarization, I would steal some time in order to guide you through the
> process to gain an Apple dev account that allows you to sign you will
> need for an official notarization.

I can reactivate my account and I know that Mark Thomas is the person to go to for the Apache organization.

> sry I do not have more time at the moment. :(

Got it.

Regards,
Dave

> On 06.10.19 20:43, Dave Fisher wrote:
>> Hi -
>>
>> (Dropping users@)
>>
>> Judging by quick reading that Xcode 10 or better is required for Apple’s new scheme and the fact that we are currently using Xcode 7 (IIRC) in order to function on MacOSX 10.7 - Lion, I think we may have to consider offering two Mac builds. At this point Lion is very old and is not supported by any modern browsers, many websites no longer work. I’ve upgraded to the highest versions for my current oldest Mac, an early 2008 iMac. That version is El Capitan - 10.11.6.
>>
>> I am now installing the latest Xcode 11 which was released in the last two weeks which comes with Catalina. I will see how 4.2/4.1.7 work.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Dave
>>
>>> On Oct 6, 2019, at 11:02 AM, Peter Kovacs <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Do you have XCode 10?
>>>
>>> Maybe we could bring 4.1.7 through the notification. And if we hurry
>>> maybe we can bring 4.1.8. also through. Not sure throught.
>>>
>>> I am already looking into alternatives.
>>>
>>> All the Best
>>>
>>> Peter

Re: [macsupport] macOS X 10.15 Catalina - Notarization

Jim Jagielski
In the meantime, I think it makes sense for me to get my OSX build machine setup to allow for notarization. I do have an Apple developer's account already, but should we also create one with our apache.org account? Or can we do all this w/ our personal dev account?

Re: [macsupport] macOS X 10.15 Catalina - Notarization

Jim Jagielski
Just a FYI that upgrading the build server from macOS 10.13 (High Sierra) to 10.14 (Mojave) breaks the ability to build AOO completely, even if we keep Xcode10.

Since the build VM must stay at 10.13, this means we cannot use Xcode11 at all.

Re: [macsupport] macOS X 10.15 Catalina - Notarization

Jim Jagielski
Working on a work-around... watch this space.

> On Oct 18, 2019, at 10:23 AM, Jim Jagielski <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Just a FYI that upgrading the build server from macOS 10.13 (High Sierra) to 10.14 (Mojave) breaks the ability to build AOO completely, even if we keep Xcode10.
>
> Since the build VM must stay at 10.13, this means we cannot use Xcode11 at all.

Re: [macsupport] macOS X 10.15 Catalina - Notarization

Jim Jagielski
https://discourse.brew.sh/t/clang-can-no-longer-find-usr-include-header-files-fatal-error-stdlib-h-file-not-found/4523/4 <https://discourse.brew.sh/t/clang-can-no-longer-find-usr-include-header-files-fatal-error-stdlib-h-file-not-found/4523/4>

helped out...

Apple is *really* screwing things over for developers... This whole Xcode11 business is crazy.

> On Oct 19, 2019, at 10:00 AM, Jim Jagielski <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Working on a work-around... watch this space.
>
>> On Oct 18, 2019, at 10:23 AM, Jim Jagielski <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Just a FYI that upgrading the build server from macOS 10.13 (High Sierra) to 10.14 (Mojave) breaks the ability to build AOO completely, even if we keep Xcode10.
>>
>> Since the build VM must stay at 10.13, this means we cannot use Xcode11 at all.

Re: [macsupport] macOS X 10.15 Catalina - Notarization

Jim Jagielski
After installing

    /Library/Developer/CommandLineTools/Packages/macOS_SDK_headers_for_macOS_10.14.pkg

on my Mojave/Xcode11.1 system, I am now progressing w/ a 4.1.8-dev build exactly as done previously on High Sierra/Xcode10.3 (and 10.7 as min macOS)...

So far no issues.

The biggest point in all this is that Apple is starting to diverge the SDK and the command-line build environs... Previously, one could build via the SDK (letting configure determine clang*) or via CC=clang and things would progress the same. Now there are slight differences between something built via the command line and something that uses the SDK.

*: Basically, Apple builds differently if CC is /usr/bin/clang or /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Toolchains/XcodeDefault.xctoolchain/usr/bin/clang. The former is the "command line" interface (and is more user friendly, searching for includes and libs "as expected" and the latter is the SDK interface, which requires more explicit configuration.