Re: [moderated] Open office taken over my docs although deinstalled

Re: [moderated] Open office taken over my docs although deinstalled

CPHennessy
On Sat November 5 2005 22:35, + Stan Fineman wrote:

> Dear OpenOffice,
>
> I recently took a look at OpenOffice and then decided to uninstall. Despite
> this, it has taken over my Word documents and prevented me from converting
> documents to pdfs. I received pdf converter with my purchase of OmniPage
> and it seems it no longer recognizes "Word" files, which are in fact now in
> My Computer as OO files. In any case I wish to remove whatever is on my
> system that takes docs over as OO docs.
>
> Word files created before I downloaded OO are taken over as OO docs and new
> ones are taken over.
>
> Please advise asap how to remove whatever remains on my system (XP pro, and
> Office software).

Hi Stan,

As you are not subscribed you may not have seen that:
On Sun November 6 2005 00:22, [hidden email] wrote:

> It sounds like your file associations have been changed, such that .doc and
> .xls (etc.) files are associated with OpenOffice.org. There was a question
> during installation that asked you whether you wanted to do that, which you
> may have inadvertently indicated you wanted.
>
> You didn't say what operating system you're on, but if it's Windows  (which
> is the only one I'm familiar with), you should be able to get them back  to
> the way they were before by doing the following:
>
> Find a Word file (a .doc file).
> Right click on it
> Choose "Open with", then "Choose program"
> Select Microsoft Word, and check the box that says "Always use the selected
> program to open this type of file"
> Click "OK"
>
> (If you have Excel or Powerpoint files, you'd need to do the same thing
> with a file of each of those types also.)
>
> Dick, Webster, NY

Please reply to [hidden email] only.

--
CPH : openoffice.org contributor

                                http://user-faq.openoffice.org/#FAQ

Re: [moderated] Open office taken over my docs although deinstalled

Chuck Neuenschwander
Stan
I don't get it.
If you uninstalled OO,
how could it now be "taking over" your documents?
Uninstall again and make sure the task gets done.
-chuck

> In a message dated 11/5/2005 6:49:28 PM Eastern Standard Time,
> [hidden email] writes:
>
> Dear  OpenOffice,
>
> I recently took a look at OpenOffice and then decided to  uninstall. Despite
> this, it has taken over my Word documents and prevented me  from converting
> documents to pdfs. I received pdf converter with my purchase  of OmniPage and
> it
> seems it no longer recognizes "Word" files, which are in  fact now in My
> Computer as OO files. In any case I wish to remove whatever is  on my system
> that
> takes docs over as OO docs.
>
> Word files created before  I downloaded OO are taken over as OO docs and new
> ones are taken  over.
>
> Please advise asap how to remove whatever remains on my system  (XP pro, and
> Office software).
>
> Thank you.
> Stan  Fineman

I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but
I am not sure if you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

Re: [moderated] Open office taken over my docs although deinstalled

Anthony Chilco
Hi Stan,
Nothing has been taken over on your computer. When you installed open
office you checked all the boxes on a dialogue that asked if you wanted
open office to be the default program for loading Microsoft office
files. For some reason, the uninstall process did not restore these
settings. Check to make sure that Open Office is really removed by
running 'Add / remove programs' in control panel. If it is gone, you'll
find instructions on restoring the default program settings somewhere on
the openoffice.org site. I've spent ten minutes looking for it, so I
don't know if you'll be able to find it. Maybe someone else on the list
can send you the link.
tc

Chuck Neuenschwander wrote:

>Stan
>I don't get it.
>If you uninstalled OO,
>how could it now be "taking over" your documents?
>Uninstall again and make sure the task gets done.
>-chuck
>

>>In a message dated 11/5/2005 6:49:28 PM Eastern Standard Time,
>>[hidden email] writes:
>>
>>Dear  OpenOffice,
>>
>>I recently took a look at OpenOffice and then decided to  uninstall. Despite
>>this, it has taken over my Word documents and prevented me  from converting
>>documents to pdfs. I received pdf converter with my purchase  of OmniPage and
>>it
>>seems it no longer recognizes "Word" files, which are in  fact now in My
>>Computer as OO files. In any case I wish to remove whatever is  on my system
>>that
>>takes docs over as OO docs.
>>
>>Word files created before  I downloaded OO are taken over as OO docs and new
>>ones are taken  over.
>>
>>Please advise asap how to remove whatever remains on my system  (XP pro, and
>>Office software).
>>
>>Thank you.
>>Stan  Fineman

>I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but
>I am not sure if you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

Re: [moderated] Open office taken over my docs although deinstalled

Dan Lewis-6
On Tuesday 08 November 2005 10:43 am, Anthony Chilco wrote:

> Hi Stan,
> Nothing has been taken over on your computer. When you installed open
> office you checked all the boxes on a dialogue that asked if you wanted
> open office to be the default program for loading Microsoft office
> files. For some reason, the uninstall process did not restore these
> settings. Check to make sure that Open Office is really removed by
> running 'Add / remove programs' in control panel. If it is gone, you'll
> find instructions on restoring the default program settings somewhere on
> the openoffice.org site. I've spent ten minutes looking for it, so I
> don't know if you'll be able to find it. Maybe someone else on the list
> can send you the link.
> tc
>
> Chuck Neuenschwander wrote:
> >Stan
> >I don't get it.
> >If you uninstalled OO,
> >how could it now be "taking over" your documents?
> >Uninstall again and make sure the task gets done.
> >-chuck
> >
> >>In a message dated 11/5/2005 6:49:28 PM Eastern Standard Time,
> >>[hidden email] writes:
> >>
> >>Dear  OpenOffice,
> >>
> >>I recently took a look at OpenOffice and then decided to  uninstall.
> >> Despite this, it has taken over my Word documents and prevented me  from
> >> converting documents to pdfs. I received pdf converter with my purchase
> >> of OmniPage and it
> >>seems it no longer recognizes "Word" files, which are in  fact now in My
> >>Computer as OO files. In any case I wish to remove whatever is  on my
> >> system that
> >>takes docs over as OO docs.
> >>
> >>Word files created before  I downloaded OO are taken over as OO docs and
> >> new ones are taken  over.
> >>
> >>Please advise asap how to remove whatever remains on my system  (XP pro,
> >> and Office software).
> >>
> >>Thank you.
> >>Stan  Fineman
> >
> >=========================================================
> >I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but
> >I am not sure if you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

Re: [moderated] Open office taken over my docs although deinstalled

Anthony Chilco
Hi Dan,
Thanks. I was on that page but couldn't see it. Brain fart, I guess. Or
RTS syndrome.
tc

Dan Lewis wrote:

>On Tuesday 08 November 2005 10:43 am, Anthony Chilco wrote:

<SNIP>

>>find instructions on restoring the default program settings somewhere on
>>the openoffice.org site. I've spent ten minutes looking for it, so I
>>don't know if you'll be able to find it. Maybe someone else on the list
>>can send you the link.
>>tc

<SNIP>

>http://documentation.openoffice.org/faqs/various_topics/016.html
>is the link to the FAQ describing how to change your file associations for
>your *.doc files back to MS Word.

windows server 2003 and open office port

Carolina Hernandez
Hi!
I've got an aplication using Open Office's converting service to pdf. For
some strange reason, if aplication is installed on  windows server 2003,
cannot comunicate with open office. I guess it's because security
easons  -maybe the OS is blocking the open office port, 8100-
That's anybody  knows what can i do?
Carolina Hernandez B
Analista de Sistemas
Websys S.A.

Re: [moderated] Open office taken over my docs although deinstalled

Gregory Forster
There is a FAQ that describes what to do. I printed it
out and tried it out.  It works  good.  I also have XP
Pro SP/2, so I'll try to give you a hand.

Open My Computer.
Click Tools/Folder Options/File Type
Scroll down to .doc
Highlight it
Click change
Then pick the one you want. Do the same for .xls and
.ppt

Greg

--- Dan Lewis <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Tuesday 08 November 2005 10:43 am, Anthony Chilco
> wrote:
> > Hi Stan,
> > Nothing has been taken over on your computer. When
> you installed open
> > office you checked all the boxes on a dialogue
> that asked if you wanted
> > open office to be the default program for loading
> Microsoft office
> > files. For some reason, the uninstall process did
> not restore these
> > settings. Check to make sure that Open Office is
> really removed by
> > running 'Add / remove programs' in control panel.
> If it is gone, you'll
> > find instructions on restoring the default program
> settings somewhere on
> > the openoffice.org site. I've spent ten minutes
> looking for it, so I
> > don't know if you'll be able to find it. Maybe
> someone else on the list
> > can send you the link.
> > tc
> >
> > Chuck Neuenschwander wrote:
> > >Stan
> > >I don't get it.
> > >If you uninstalled OO,
> > >how could it now be "taking over" your documents?
> > >Uninstall again and make sure the task gets done.
> > >-chuck

> Standard Time,

> decided to  uninstall.
> documents and prevented me  from
> converter with my purchase
> which are in  fact now in My
> remove whatever is  on my

> taken over as OO docs and

> remains on my system  (XP pro,

> > >I know you believe you understand what you think
> I said, but
> > >I am not sure if you realize that what you heard
> is not what I meant.

http://documentation.openoffice.org/faqs/various_topics/016.html
> is the link to the FAQ describing how to change your
> file associations for
> your *.doc files back to MS Word.

> For additional commands, e-mail:

Re: [moderated] Open office taken over my docs although deinstalled

Gregory Forster
I also forgot to mention that after you run Add/Remove
software to remove Open Office, you may also have to
manually go to C:\Documents and
Settings\yourname\Application Data
Then remove the OpenOffice subdirectory.