Re: [porting-dev] Update, using m136: Apple Pages (iWork) cannot open files saved in DOC format

Re: [porting-dev] Update, using m136: Apple Pages (iWork) cannot open files saved in DOC format

ptrl0
eric.bachard a ?crit :
>> I have a "test.odt" file which can reproduce the issue.
>

> Please send me this file directly.   Have you the opportunity to test
> under Linux or whatever OS ?

Interesting test :

1- A test.ODT file created in OOo Mac (m137)
2- Opening the ODT in OOo Linux (2.0.0-3.2.1 RPM, Fedora Linux)
3- "save as DOC" in OOo Linux / "save as RTF" in OO Linux
4- iWork-Pages cannot open this DOC / this RTF has format paragraph
problems (first line indent)

=> these bugs are not in OOo Mac but in OOo Mac and OOo Linux

Re: [porting-dev] Update, using m136: Apple Pages (iWork) cannot open files saved in DOC format

Paul Johnson-10
ptrl0 wrote:

> => these bugs are not in OOo Mac but in OOo Mac and OOo Linux

Or the bugs are in iWork-Pages???

Paul

Re: [porting-dev] Update, using m136: Apple Pages (iWork) cannot open files saved in DOC format

Eric Hoch
Am Mon, 07 Nov 2005 09:59:50 +0100, schrieb ptrl0:

> eric.bachard a écrit :
>>> I have a "test.odt" file which can reproduce the issue.
>>

>> Please send me this file directly.   Have you the opportunity to
>> test under Linux or whatever OS ?
>
> Interesting test :
>
> 1- A test.ODT file created in OOo Mac (m137)
> 2- Opening the ODT in OOo Linux (2.0.0-3.2.1 RPM, Fedora Linux)
> 3- "save as DOC" in OOo Linux / "save as RTF" in OO Linux
> 4- iWork-Pages cannot open this DOC / this RTF has format
> paragraph problems (first line indent)
>
> => these bugs are not in OOo Mac but in OOo Mac and OOo Linux

or in Pages? I know Apple Software never had and never will have
any bugs but nobody is really perfect and we should consider that a
part of the problem could be the importfilter for doc and/or rtf
that pages brings along.

I don't know if Pages has the MS origin code that MS uses for his
Word for Mac doc format or if apple uses a debugged own written
import export filter for doc.

What I know is that I have a .doc Document written with Word XP for
Windows and saved as doc that Pages cannot open too. Out of
curiosity I opend this document with Word 2004 and saved it as .doc
and now Pages was able to open the Document. So it could be that
pages has little problems with windows .doc format. Remember Word
for Windows .doc isn't always Word for Mac .doc.

Regards,
Eric Hoch