Re: two problems

Richard Detwiler

Steve:

Issue 1: I tried what you said but was not able to duplicate your problem.  I
went into a long e-mail, copied everything, opened a blank OOo Writer
document, simply hit paste, and it came in OK (9 pages worth, in the example I
tried). So it's not clear what might be different about your situation. I do  have
a suggestion, though. Intead of just hitting "paste", try doing "paste
special" (Edit > Paste Special), and then select "Unformatted text". See if  that
works.

Issue 2: Ctrl + Enter is what you want. But you need to do this in the cell
itself (either while you're entering the text, or by double clicking on the
cell  to go into edit mode later). Doing this in the input line won't work. Here
is  the relevant excerpt from Calc Help:

" Writing Multi-line Text
Pressing the Ctrl+Enter keys inserts a manual line  break. This shortcut only
works directly in the cell, not in the input  line."
Dick, Webster, NY

In a message dated 11/7/2005 12:53:48 AM Eastern Standard Time,
[hidden email] writes:

Hi,
I  have two issues.

The first is one that has my daugher in  rebellion
demanding Microsoft Office.  I don't want to comply so
I  hope you can clear this one up for me.  Suppose I
cut and paste a long  text document from, say, an
e-mail text editor into Open Office  Writer.  What
happens is that I get three pages.  The first page  is
blank.  The second page contains as much of the text
as will fit  on one page, the rest of the text seeming
to be lost.  The third page  is also blank.  What is
going on???

My second item is a  shortcut that I am used to in
Excel for which I cannot find an equivalent  in Open
Office Calc.  If I am typing text into a cell and I
want to  force a new line, in Excel I can hit Alt Enter
and I get my new line at  that point.  I can't figure
out any way to force a new line in Open  Office Calc.
Auto text wrap is not the same thing.  Am I  missing
something?

Thanks for any help you may have to give  me.

Steve Marx

Re: two problems

Dan Lewis-6
In-line comments from another member of this mailing list:

On Sunday 06 November 2005 11:45 pm, Steven Marx wrote:

> Hi,
> I have two issues.
>
> The first is one that has my daugher in rebellion
> demanding Microsoft Office.  I don't want to comply so
> I hope you can clear this one up for me.  Suppose I
> cut and paste a long text document from, say, an
> e-mail text editor into Open Office Writer.  What
> happens is that I get three pages.  The first page is
> blank.  The second page contains as much of the text
> as will fit on one page, the rest of the text seeming
> to be lost.  The third page is also blank.  What is
> going on???

This sounds like it may be to do with the content type of
the information being pasted. I would suggest trying to do
an Edit -> Paste Special and choose an appropriate filter
to see if that helps.

> My second item is a shortcut that I am used to in
> Excel for which I cannot find an equivalent in Open
> Office Calc.  If I am typing text into a cell and I
> want to force a new line, in Excel I can hit Alt Enter
> and I get my new line at that point.  I can't figure
> out any way to force a new line in Open Office Calc.
> Auto text wrap is not the same thing.  Am I missing
> something?
>
> Thanks for any help you may have to give me.

 Steve Marx
No, just a slight change - in OpenOffice.org it is done
with Shift-Enter rather than the Alt key.

Regards
Jonathon

Re: two problems

Justin-21
On Monday 07 November 2005 15:56, Jonathon Coombes wrote:

> On Sun, 2005-11-06 at 21:45 -0800, Steven Marx wrote:
>
> > My second item is a shortcut that I am used to in
> > Excel for which I cannot find an equivalent in Open
> > Office Calc.  If I am typing text into a cell and I
> > want to force a new line, in Excel I can hit Alt Enter
> > and I get my new line at that point.  I can't figure
> > out any way to force a new line in Open Office Calc.
> > Auto text wrap is not the same thing.  Am I missing
> > something?
>
> No, just a slight change - in OpenOffice.org it is done
> with Shift-Enter rather than the Alt key.
>
> Regards
> Jonathon

When I read that I thought that it would be handy, but when I try shift enter
to move down to a new line it is like hitting enter except that it highlights
the cell above rather than the one below.

some quick trial and error found ctrl-enter works, starting a new line within
the cell

regards

Justin