Quantcast

Recovery of saved Spreadsheet

DougieBates
Dear Sir/Madam,

I have Apache openoffice 4.1.3 installed on my laptop computer running
Windows 10.

When I tried to open a 3 page spreadsheet today that I had  previously
saved I was invited to enter my name & initials  which I did when I pressed ok,
a new menu came up titled 'Text Import' with my  original title in brackets,
when I press ok a new blank spreadsheet page comes  up.

How do I recover my original document please.

All my other documents saved in Open Office still open correctly.

Regards,

Mr D G BATES

Re: Recovery of saved Spreadsheet

Rory O'Farrell
On Sun, 23 Apr 2017 02:30:48 -0400
[hidden email] wrote:

> Dear Sir/Madam,
>
> I have Apache openoffice 4.1.3 installed on my laptop computer running
> Windows 10.
>
> When I tried to open a 3 page spreadsheet today that I had  previously
> saved I was invited to enter my name & initials  which I did when I pressed ok,
> a new menu came up titled 'Text Import' with my  original title in brackets,
> when I press ok a new blank spreadsheet page comes  up.
>
> How do I recover my original document please.
>
> All my other documents saved in Open Office still open correctly.
>
> Regards,
>
> Mr D G BATES

Your file is badly damaged, probably beyond useful repair.

As soon as possible do the following:

Download Recuva or PhotoRec (only one needed) and let it do an indepth recovery of deleted files on your computer. You may get a file containing some or all of your data (or not). Do this as a first priority; other use of the computer may overwrite any existing but deleted files and prevent their recovery. There is no guarantee that you will recover anything useful.

Do the above soonest! Do not wait for anything else - there is little prospect of recovering anything from your file, so do this NOW!

To prevent this happening again, be leisurely in your closing down (powering off or hibernating) of the computer after properly closing your OO file and OO.

Use the formal computer closedown procedure and wait for a few seconds (10 or thereabouts) before powering off to be certain all disk activity has ceased - damage to the spellchecker often occurs if the computer is powered down before the hardware/software write buffers have flushed. It is only a matter of a few seconds - these few extra seconds will be less than the time needed to correct the problem, or, more likely, to rebuild a damaged file which can also occur through such over-hasty shutdown.
--
Rory O'Farrell <[hidden email]>