Red spelling lines

Bill Coleman

Hi ... I had been using Open Office (4.1.6) this morning normally and it would indicate to me when I made a spelling mistake.  Also if I hadn’t corrected my mistakes as I was typing I could use the check spelling option at the end and it would highlight each mistake for me to correct.  I came back to the same document a couple or so hours later and not only this document but all my documents are now underlined in squiggle red lines indicating every word is a spelling mistake.  It also now happens when I type a new document (see attached).  Has something gone wrong with the program and is there something I can do about it?  If not how can it be fixed so I can use it the way I had been?

For the record I am using Windows 10 on a Lenovo ideapad 330S.  Please can you help.

Thank you, Bill

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Re: Red spelling lines

Rory O'Farrell
On Wed, 5 Jun 2019 12:34:24 +0000
Bill Coleman <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi ... I had been using Open Office (4.1.6) this morning normally and it would indicate to me when I made a spelling mistake.  Also if I hadn’t corrected my mistakes as I was typing I could use the check spelling option at the end and it would highlight each mistake for me to correct.  I came back to the same document a couple or so hours later and not only this document but all my documents are now underlined in squiggle red lines indicating every word is a spelling mistake.  It also now happens when I type a new document (see attached).  Has something gone wrong with the program and is there something I can do about it?  If not how can it be fixed so I can use it the way I had been?
>
> For the record I am using Windows 10 on a Lenovo ideapad 330S.  Please can you help.
>
> Thank you, Bill

Try renaming your OO user profile.

If you are using Windows close OpenOffice and the Quickstarter. Open File
Explorer. Copy and paste %appdata%\OpenOffice\4 in the File Explorer (sometimes called Windows Explorer)
Address Bar and press Enter. Rename the "user" folder - "user.old" is a good choice. Start OpenOffice.

This cures most spellcheck problems.

This loss of spellchecking happens usually because the computer has been powered off too hastily or the laptop lid closed before the internal buffers of the hard drive have flushed to the disks.

--
Rory O'Farrell <[hidden email]>

RE: Red spelling lines

Bill Coleman
Hi Rory ... thanks ... I will try to follow your suggestion ... might seem like a silly question but how do I change my OO user profile ... thanks, Bill

________________________________

Rory O'Farrell <[hidden email]>

Re: Red spelling lines

Andrea Vt
Looking deep in my magic glass ball I see ..... :-)

It's written just below the line "Try renaming your OO user profile."

Am 05.06.2019 um 15:07 schrieb Bill Coleman:

> Hi Rory ... thanks ... I will try to follow your suggestion ... might seem like a silly question but how do I change my OO user profile ... thanks, Bill

> ________________________________

Re: Red spelling lines

Rory O'Farrell
On Wed, 5 Jun 2019 13:07:10 +0000
Bill Coleman <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Rory ... thanks ... I will try to follow your suggestion ... might seem like a silly question but how do I change my OO user profile ... thanks, Bill

Follow the instructions below.

--
Rory O'Farrell <[hidden email]>

RE: Red spelling lines

Bill Coleman
Sorry and yes seems to have worked although its given me 2 folders there now ... thank you again, Bill

________________________________
Looking deep in my magic glass ball I see ..... :-)

It's written just below the line "Try renaming your OO user profile."

Am 05.06.2019 um 15:07 schrieb Bill Coleman:

> Hi Rory ... thanks ... I will try to follow your suggestion ... might seem like a silly question but how do I change my OO user profile ... thanks, Bill

Re: Red spelling lines

Rory O'Farrell
On Wed, 5 Jun 2019 14:02:08 +0000
Bill Coleman <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Sorry and yes seems to have worked although its given me 2 folders there now ... thank you again, Bill

The reason for the Rename is that custom data, such as User dictionaries can now be brought forward from the old folder.  If there is no custom information the old folder can safely be deleted.

--
Rory O'Farrell <[hidden email]>