Redirect: Re: [users] The patents threat to open source....

Redirect: Re: [users] The patents threat to open source....

John Meyer-8
Thomas W. Cranston wrote:
> That's a great idea. I still think we should nail everything down with
> patent applications at the same time - a 2 fisted approach. That way
> if the challenges fail, there is something to fall back on.
>
> Tom

There's also something to the notion that such an action could give some
legitimacy to patents.  I see where you are going in trying to do
something to the extreme to prove its absurdity, but you need to look at
all possible outcomes.  We could very well end up with situations where
Microsoft won and the small timers lost (I'm pretty sure Microsoft could
afford more lawyers than us).  And even if the small timers won, you
have a distributed network.  Supposing one gets into it with the notion
of teaching Microsoft a lesson, but as they go along somebody points out
that he could make some big money this way.  One large patent troll is
not that much worse than a thousand little trolls.