Refresh Pootle for Translation 4.2

Mechtilde Stehmann-2
Hello,

after doing a successful building of Apache OpenOffice I want to help
working on a better translation (process)

My first problem is to extract an actual SDF Template

I followed the intructions in the wiki and the slides from FOSDEM 2018.
No success.

localize -e -l en-US -f en-US.sdf

I execute it in <main> and get the message bash: localize: command not found

Are there some requirements to install?

Kind regards

--
Mechtilde Stehmann
## Apache OpenOffice

Re: Refresh Pootle for Translation 4.2

Matthias Seidel
Hi Mechtilde,

Am 11.11.18 um 09:37 schrieb Mechtilde:

> Hello,
>
> after doing a successful building of Apache OpenOffice I want to help
> working on a better translation (process)
>
> My first problem is to extract an actual SDF Template
>
> I followed the intructions in the wiki and the slides from FOSDEM 2018.
> No success.
>
> localize -e -l en-US -f en-US.sdf
>
> I execute it in <main> and get the message bash: localize: command not found
That was exactly the point where I ended up, when I tried it. ;-)

Regards,

   Matthias

> Are there some requirements to install?
>
> Kind regards

smime.p7s (5K) Download Attachment

Re: Refresh Pootle for Translation 4.2

Dick Groskamp
Mechtilde / Matthias,

I'm no techie at all but i saw 'localize' in main/solenv/bin after
reading this

https://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Localization_for_developers

"Once in a while (for every milestone) run solenv/bin/localize (which
forwards the call to solver/340/<platform>/bin/localize_sl<.exe> which
forwards it to solver/340/<platform>/bin/localize<.exe>)"

I have no build but after executing localize there it complained of
having no environment and using 'setsolar'

Then I was completely lost ;-)

--
DiGro
___________________________

Deze mogelijkheid is beschikbaar voor [[Image(source:trunk/images/layer/gpx_small.png)]] [wikitr:/Help/Dialog/LayerList#Layertypes GPX-lagen] en [[Image(source:trunk/images/layer/marker_small.png)]] [wikitr:/Help/Dialog/LayerList#Layertypes Markeringslagen] en converteert gegevens van GPX naar gegevens voor OSM.

Re: Refresh Pootle for Translation 4.2

Mechtilde Stehmann-2
Hello Dirk,
Am 12.11.18 um 14:07 schrieb Dick Groskamp:
> Mechtilde / Matthias,
>
> I'm no techie at all but i saw 'localize' in main/solenv/bin after
> reading this
>
> https://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Localization_for_developers

yes I know tat wiki entry, but it doesn't work

> "Once in a while (for every milestone) run solenv/bin/localize (which
> forwards the call to solver/340/<platform>/bin/localize_sl<.exe> which
> forwards it to solver/340/<platform>/bin/localize<.exe>)"
>
> I have no build but after executing localize there it complained of
> having no environment and using 'setsolar'

THat is the problem

I try
localize -e -l en-US -f en-US.sdf and localize -e -l en-US -f ~/en-US.sdf
I get: "bash: localize: command not found"

I also try:
solenv/bin/localize -e -l en-US -f en-US.sdf and solenv/bin/localize -e
-l en-US -f ~/en-US.sdf

I get: "No environment found, please use setsolar"

But there is no "setsolar". So I didn't what i can do?

> Then I was completely lost ;-)

Kind regards
--
Mechtilde Stehmann
## Apache OpenOffice
## Debian Developer
## Loook, calender-exchange-provider, libreoffice-canzeley-client
## PGP encryption welcome

Re: Refresh Pootle for Translation 4.2

Mechtilde Stehmann-2
Hello

Am 11.11.18 um 09:37 schrieb Mechtilde:

> Hello,
>
> after doing a successful building of Apache OpenOffice I want to help
> working on a better translation (process)
>
> My first problem is to extract an actual SDF Template
>
> I followed the intructions in the wiki and the slides from FOSDEM 2018.
> No success.
>
> localize -e -l en-US -f en-US.sdf
>
> I execute it in <main> and get the message bash: localize: command not found
>
> Are there some requirements to install?
I did some further search for "setsolar" and found that it must be a
function of Visual Studio.

Does someone use Visual Studio for building and can provide an actual
*.sdf file.

Kind regards

--
Mechtilde Stehmann
## Apache OpenOffice
## Debian Developer
## Loook, calender-exchange-provider, libreoffice-canzeley-client
## PGP encryption welcome

Re: Refresh Pootle for Translation 4.2

Dick Groskamp
Mechtilde,

I'v also been searching for setsolar and I suspect it has to do with a
variable in the configure (whatever that may be :-)  )

In /main should be a file named "set_soenv" I suspect it means "set
solar environment"
It is mentioned in the Building guide in the paragraph Building:

https://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Documentation/Building_Guide_AOO
""

Start by including the environment variables prepared by configure into
your current environment with

   source <shell-script-name>

where <shell-script-name> depends on your platform:

platform id <shell-script-name>
wntmsci12 winenv.set.sh
unxlngi6 LinuxX86Env.Set.sh
unxlngx6 LinuxX86-64Env.Set.sh
unxmacci MacOSXX64Env.Set.sh

Look into main/set_soenv for more platforms. (search for lines |$OUTPATH
= "<platform>";| and the nearby line |$outfile =
"<shell-script-name>";|. Add the suffix |.sh| for the bash variant.""

Found an old reference to set_soenv in :

Old Building_Guide/Building_on_Windows
<https://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Documentation/Building_Guide/Building_on_Windows>

""If you experiment with the newest sources, mind that it can happen
sometimes that |configure.in| was updated, but it was forgotten to
update configure too. The configure script itself is created from
|configure.in| using the |autoreconf| command. The perl script
|set_soenv| is created when you run configure from |set_soenv.in|.""

Hope this helps somehow

--
DiGro
___________________________
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.5 (Dutch) and scanned with Ziggo Safe Online (F-Secure)

Re: Refresh Pootle for Translation 4.2

Mechtilde Stehmann-2
Hello Dick,

the solution is more easier.

you have to prepare a build without doing "build --all".

Esp. you have to do configure and bootstrap - then it works.

Kind regards

Am 13.11.18 um 13:48 schrieb Mechtilde:
> Hello Dick,
>
> the solution is more easier.
>
> you have to prepare a build without doing "build --all".
>
> Esp. you have to do configure and bootstrap - then it works.

Maybe configure and bootstrap isn't even needed, but it doesn't hurt. ;-)

Glad, that it works for you now...

Regards,

   Matthias

Op 13-11-2018 om 13:48 schreef Mechtilde:

> Hello Dick,
>
> the solution is more easier.
>
> you have to prepare a build without doing "build --all".
>
> Esp. you have to do configure and bootstrap - then it works.
>
> Kind regards
>
> Am 13.11.18 um 13:34 schrieb Dick Groskamp:
>> Mechtilde,
>>
>> [cut]
>>
>> Kind regards

Good for you !

Good luck on the further path to new sdf's

--
DiGro

Re: Refresh Pootle for Translation 4.2

Andrea Pescetti-2
Mechtilde wrote:
> as already wrote, I try to work on translation update.
> Now I could get an actual *.sdf file from source code.

Thanks, Mechtilde! Could you please start from my notes at
https://s.apache.org/Dukc and copy them to a wiki page (or, if you don't
like wiki, to a text file to be then copied to a wiki page) so that you
can take advantage of what I already wrote and fix it?

> After preparing a build directory there I could start localize successful.

OK, so for example my item 1 from the link above
    ---
1. A full checkout of trunk; I believe some of the tools are built
during the build process, but I'm using a fully built tree anyway.
    ---
should be improved to say that you don't actually need a full build (but
you still need to initialize the build process).

> I could also create *.pot file with oo2po from *.sdf file. There I get
> many *.pot files in different directories.

I assume you will be looking at German with more attention, right? I
recommend to just start with one language, since having all SDF files is
useless anyway (Pootle has only a selection of languages).

Once we get a few languages working, generalizing won't be hard.

> Now I downloaded a *.zip file from Pootle with the previous German
> translation. Must I do it for every language manually? How can I do it
> effectivly?

I would suggest this: do the same steps as I did for French and
Portuguese in the discussion above. Let's check if we get to the same
conclusions, i.e., that Pootle is in a bad state that does not
correspond to any release.

> Then I can look for the next steps.

Please note that, as I wrote, we need to go the opposite direction: from
Pootle to SDF. But we need to re-learn both flows, so it's really good
if you repeat all the process from my earlier notes.

So your next major steps would be:
- Exporting German from Pootle (not to Pootle) and build 4.1.6 (not
4.2.0) based on it
- Understanding the "malformed string" error messages when doing the
above and their impact on the resulting build; this is where I stopped
on 31 Dec last year, and I think nobody has done further work ever since.

Regards,
   Andrea.

Re: Refresh Pootle for Translation 4.2

Dick Groskamp
As far as my memory serves me, no additions to Pootle were made after
3.3 or 3.4.
Pootle came to a halt in probably the year or the year after it went to
Apache.

Therefore there will be differences.

Having the old translations in Pootle would require an upgrading of the
templates in Pootle, used for the translations, with preservation of the
translated strings.
I've done no work on the translations for AOO since Pootle came to a
halt (except for some small changes)

In the past, someone with admin rights for Pootle, put the genereated
pot-files on Pootle, updated all languages and then we could go translating.

As far as I can see in the documentation for Pootle, that has not changed.
It therefore should be possible to upgrade from the newly generated SDF,
through generated POT-files with preservation of the old strings.

Don't know if there is anyone available from the "old days" with
knowledge of Pootle.

I mainly worked with translated PO-files ( checking with GSIcheck and
repairing errors and then putting the corrected PO-files back)
Don't know how Pootle is set up.

Op 13-11-2018 om 19:51 schreef Andrea Pescetti:

> Mechtilde wrote:
>> as already wrote, I try to work on translation update.
>> Now I could get an actual *.sdf file from source code.
>
> Thanks, Mechtilde! Could you please start from my notes at
> https://s.apache.org/Dukc and copy them to a wiki page (or, if you
> don't like wiki, to a text file to be then copied to a wiki page) so
> that you can take advantage of what I already wrote and fix it?
>
>> After preparing a build directory there I could start localize
>> successful.
>
> OK, so for example my item 1 from the link above
>    ---
> 1. A full checkout of trunk; I believe some of the tools are built
> during the build process, but I'm using a fully built tree anyway.
>    ---
> should be improved to say that you don't actually need a full build
> (but you still need to initialize the build process).
>
>> I could also create *.pot file with oo2po from *.sdf file. There I get
>> many *.pot files in different directories.
>
> I assume you will be looking at German with more attention, right? I
> recommend to just start with one language, since having all SDF files
> is useless anyway (Pootle has only a selection of languages).
>
> Once we get a few languages working, generalizing won't be hard.
>
>> Now I downloaded a *.zip file from Pootle with the previous German
>> translation. Must I do it for every language manually? How can I do it
>> effectivly?
>
> I would suggest this: do the same steps as I did for French and
> Portuguese in the discussion above. Let's check if we get to the same
> conclusions, i.e., that Pootle is in a bad state that does not
> correspond to any release.
>
>> Then I can look for the next steps.
>
> Please note that, as I wrote, we need to go the opposite direction:
> from Pootle to SDF. But we need to re-learn both flows, so it's really
> good if you repeat all the process from my earlier notes.
>
> So your next major steps would be:
> - Exporting German from Pootle (not to Pootle) and build 4.1.6 (not
> 4.2.0) based on it
> - Understanding the "malformed string" error messages when doing the
> above and their impact on the resulting build; this is where I stopped
> on 31 Dec last year, and I think nobody has done further work ever since.
>
> Regards,
>   Andrea.

DiGro

Re: Refresh Pootle for Translation 4.2

Keith N. McKenna
Andrea;

I have grabbed the mails from your link and copied them into a text
file. I can start after next week, I have company next week for the
Thanksgiving Holiday here in the U.S.A., to start to put them in shape
for the wiki.

Regards
Keith

On 11/13/2018 1:51 PM, Andrea Pescetti wrote:

> Mechtilde wrote:
>> as already wrote, I try to work on translation update.
>> Now I could get an actual *.sdf file from source code.
>
> Thanks, Mechtilde! Could you please start from my notes at
> https://s.apache.org/Dukc and copy them to a wiki page (or, if you
> don't like wiki, to a text file to be then copied to a wiki page) so
> that you can take advantage of what I already wrote and fix it?
>
>> After preparing a build directory there I could start localize
>> successful.
>
> OK, so for example my item 1 from the link above
>    ---
> 1. A full checkout of trunk; I believe some of the tools are built
> during the build process, but I'm using a fully built tree anyway.
>    ---
> should be improved to say that you don't actually need a full build
> (but you still need to initialize the build process).
>
>> I could also create *.pot file with oo2po from *.sdf file. There I get
>> many *.pot files in different directories.
>
> I assume you will be looking at German with more attention, right? I
> recommend to just start with one language, since having all SDF files
> is useless anyway (Pootle has only a selection of languages).
>
> Once we get a few languages working, generalizing won't be hard.
>
>> Now I downloaded a *.zip file from Pootle with the previous German
>> translation. Must I do it for every language manually? How can I do it
>> effectivly?
>
> I would suggest this: do the same steps as I did for French and
> Portuguese in the discussion above. Let's check if we get to the same
> conclusions, i.e., that Pootle is in a bad state that does not
> correspond to any release.
>
>> Then I can look for the next steps.
>
> Please note that, as I wrote, we need to go the opposite direction:
> from Pootle to SDF. But we need to re-learn both flows, so it's really
> good if you repeat all the process from my earlier notes.
>
> So your next major steps would be:
> - Exporting German from Pootle (not to Pootle) and build 4.1.6 (not
> 4.2.0) based on it
> - Understanding the "malformed string" error messages when doing the
> above and their impact on the resulting build; this is where I stopped
> on 31 Dec last year, and I think nobody has done further work ever since.
>
> Regards,
>   Andrea.

Re: Refresh Pootle for Translation 4.2

Dick Groskamp
Andrea,

I would be happy to give it a try.

I don't seem to be able to make my own build.

For the check with GSIcheck I need the en-US.sdf that 4.1.5 is build
with (or to be precise: that is generated from the build of 4.1.5).

Could someone please provide me with one, or better yet, could it be
uploaded somewhere so anyone can get it ?

--
DiGro

Am 16.11.18 um 17:52 schrieb Dick Groskamp:

> Andrea,
>
> I would be happy to give it a try.
>
> I don't seem to be able to make my own build.
>
> For the check with GSIcheck I need the en-US.sdf that 4.1.5 is build
> with (or to be precise: that is generated from the build of 4.1.5).
>
> Could someone please provide me with one, or better yet, could it be
> uploaded somewhere so anyone can get it ?
why do you want the *.sdf  of version 4.1.5 at the timme 4.1.6 will be
released?

I will prepare it for 4.2.x so wie can start then with a new update round.

If the file is technical ok I will provide it.

Kind regards

Op 17-11-2018 om 12:55 schreef Mechtilde:

> Hello Dick,
>

> Am 16.11.18 um 17:52 schrieb Dick Groskamp:
>> Andrea,
>>
>> I would be happy to give it a try.
>>
>> I don't seem to be able to make my own build.
>>
>> For the check with GSIcheck I need the en-US.sdf that 4.1.5 is build
>> with (or to be precise: that is generated from the build of 4.1.5).
>>
>> Could someone please provide me with one, or better yet, could it be
>> uploaded somewhere so anyone can get it ?
> why do you want the *.sdf of version 4.1.5 at the timme 4.1.6 will be
> released?
>
> I will prepare it for 4.2.x so wie can start then with a new update round.
>

> If the file is technical ok I will provide it.
>
> Kind regards

Because I have some big fingers :-)

It should have said 4.1.6 of course.

I have to check the Dutch strings against the en-US.sdf but I'm not
capable to make my own build.

Then I should have the en-US.sdf because it can be localized from the
build 4.1.6.

Now I''m dependent on someone willing to share, then I'll try to run
GSIcheck on the Dutch strings from Pootle

as Andrea requested and see if there are problems which should be
corrected before releasing 4.1.6

--
DiGro

Dick Groskamp wrote:
> I have to check the Dutch strings against the en-US.sdf but I'm not
> capable to make my own build.
> Then I should have the en-US.sdf because it can be localized from the
> build 4.1.6.

Sure. It was not part of my 4.1.6 build tree, but I've generated it
(according to my old notes, link already sent multiple times) with
    ---
main$ localize -e -l en-US -f /tmp/en-US.sdf
### Localize
WARNING: .../main/../extras/l10n/source/en-US/localize.sdf not found ....
### Fetching source language strings
.../main/solver/416/unxlngx6.pro/bin/localize_slFound special path!
Localizing repository ...
4044 files found!
    ---

I hope the warnings above are not critical.

Here is the SDF file. My notes say you should expect a 99.8% match:

https://we.tl/t-I6hFrck9Rr

> as Andrea requested and see if there are problems which should be
> corrected before releasing 4.1.6

More than 4.1.6 (where we wouldn't include translation fixes anyway),
this is to test the other part of the workflow: Mechtilde is working in
the other direction at the moment, but we must of course also preserve
work by the translators and be able to merge volunteer's work that now
exists only in Pootle.

Regards,
   Andrea.

Op 18-11-2018 om 16:25 schreef Andrea Pescetti:

> Dick Groskamp wrote:
>> I have to check the Dutch strings against the en-US.sdf but I'm not
>> capable to make my own build.
>> Then I should have the en-US.sdf because it can be localized from the
>> build 4.1.6.
>
> Sure. It was not part of my 4.1.6 build tree, but I've generated it
> (according to my old notes, link already sent multiple times) with
>    ---
> main$ localize -e -l en-US -f /tmp/en-US.sdf
> ### Localize
> WARNING: .../main/../extras/l10n/source/en-US/localize.sdf not found ....
> ### Fetching source language strings
> .../main/solver/416/unxlngx6.pro/bin/localize_slFound special path!
> Localizing repository ...
> 4044 files found!
>    ---
>
> I hope the warnings above are not critical.
>
> Here is the SDF file. My notes say you should expect a 99.8% match:
>
> https://we.tl/t-I6hFrck9Rr
>
>> as Andrea requested and see if there are problems which should be
>> corrected before releasing 4.1.6
>
> More than 4.1.6 (where we wouldn't include translation fixes anyway),
> this is to test the other part of the workflow: Mechtilde is working
> in the other direction at the moment, but we must of course also
> preserve work by the translators and be able to merge volunteer's work
> that now exists only in Pootle.
>
> Regards,
>   Andrea.

Thanks a lot.

I'll start working on it

--
DiGro

Re: Refresh Pootle for Translation 4.2

Mechtilde Stehmann-2
Hello Dick,

all strings from pootle are integrated into SVN. I also prepared a build
for Linux/RPM

You can find it under https://home.apache.org/~mechtilde/NewBuild

I also provide the *.po files for NL at
https://home.apache.org/~mechtilde/POFiles.

you can send them back to me or provide them to download.

Then I will integrate theminto SVN.

Kind regards

Mechtilde

Am 18.11.18 um 15:44 schrieb Dick Groskamp:

> Op 17-11-2018 om 12:55 schreef Mechtilde:
>
>> Hello Dick,
>>

>> Am 16.11.18 um 17:52 schrieb Dick Groskamp:
>>> Andrea,
>>>
>>> I would be happy to give it a try.
>>>
>>> I don't seem to be able to make my own build.
>>>
>>> For the check with GSIcheck I need the en-US.sdf that 4.1.5 is build
>>> with (or to be precise: that is generated from the build of 4.1.5).
>>>
>>> Could someone please provide me with one, or better yet, could it be
>>> uploaded somewhere so anyone can get it ?
>> why do you want the *.sdf of version 4.1.5 at the timme 4.1.6 will be
>> released?
>>
>> I will prepare it for 4.2.x so wie can start then with a new update
>> round.
>>

>> If the file is technical ok I will provide it.
>>
>> Kind regards
>>
> Because I have some big fingers :-)
>
> It should have said 4.1.6 of course.
>
> I have to check the Dutch strings against the en-US.sdf but I'm not
> capable to make my own build.
>
> Then I should have the en-US.sdf because it can be localized from the
> build 4.1.6.
>
> Now I''m dependent on someone willing to share, then I'll try to run
> GSIcheck on the Dutch strings from Pootle
>
> as Andrea requested and see if there are problems which should be
> corrected before releasing 4.1.6

--
Mechtilde Stehmann
## Apache OpenOffice
## Debian Developer
## Loook, calender-exchange-provider, libreoffice-canzeley-client
## PGP encryption welcome

Re: Refresh Pootle for Translation 4.2

Tigran Zargaryan
Hello  Mechtilde, just informing that Armenian translation is in process,
it is going well, and have a minor question.
From the main translation page I see that for Armenian localisation is
mentioned

<https://translate.apache.org/accounts/matthias.seidel/>)

This should be changed, such as Tigran Zargaryan (e.g. me) is the
responsible person.
thanks,
Tigran

Am 13. Dezember 2018 07:04:07 MEZ schrieb Tigran Zargaryan <[hidden email]>:

>Hello  Mechtilde, just informing that Armenian translation is in
>process,
>it is going well, and have a minor question.
>From the main translation page I see that for Armenian localisation is
>mentioned

><https://translate.apache.org/accounts/matthias.seidel/>)
>
>This should be changed, such as Tigran Zargaryan (e.g. me) is the
>responsible person.

That isn't the name of the responsible person but it is the name of the person who works on it lastly.

>thanks,
>Tigran

Regards
Mechtilde