Removing Duplicate entries?

daniel
Hi Friends,

Is there a way to remove duplicates from a mail list using a TextEdit with OpenOffice on a Mac Computer?

Thank you for your time!

daniel

Re: Removing Duplicate entries?

Alan Boba-2
I do not know what you mean by "using a TextEdit". However I can offer the
following suggestions (all presume each mail list address is on a single
line) ...

1. sort the address list and then remove the duplicate entries by
inspecting the list
2. for a long list, import the entries to a table then run a query for
unique entries, save the query result as the new list

Alan Boba
CISSP, CCENT, ITIL v3 Foundations 2011

Re: Removing Duplicate entries?

jd1008
if you are on a unix machine or a linux machine,
and your list is a text file (lets say mylist.txt);
then you can eliminate duplicates in this way:

sort -f mylist.txt | uniq > mylist2.txt

the -f option ignores the case of the characters (ie. upper or lower).

On 6/20/19, daniel <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi Friends,
>
> Is there a way to remove duplicates from a mail list using a TextEdit with
> OpenOffice on a Mac Computer?
>
> Thank you for your time!
>
> daniel

Re: Removing Duplicate entries?

Brian Barker-2
At 17:29 20/06/2019 -0400, Daniel Noname wrote:
>Is there a way to remove duplicates from a mail list using a TextEdit ...

A what?

>... with OpenOffice on a Mac Computer?

Yes.

o Open a new spreadsheet (Calc) document.
o Paste your list into a column.
o Select the range containing the list (or just the entire column).
o Go to Data | Filter > | Standard Filter... .
o For the first "Field name", select "- none -" from the drop-down menu.
o Click More Options.
o Ensure that "Range contains column labels" is not ticked (unless
you have included a column label).
o Tick "No duplication".
o Click OK. Duplicate entries are now hidden.
o Select the (reduced) range.
o Copy the range (Edit | Copy or Ctrl+C). Crucially, entries hidden
using a filter are omitted from the copy action.
o Paste the edited list back into your source.

Remember that small and perhaps insignificant differences between
entries - different cases, spacing, punctuation - will prevent
otherwise similar entries being identified as duplicates.

I trust this helps.

Brian Barker