Quantcast

Removing line breaks in Open Office writer, etc.

Removing line breaks in Open Office writer, etc.

Jeffrey Needle
I've found a marvelous answer to the problem of removing line breaks in
Open Office text, etc.

http://www.textfixer.com/tools/remove-line-breaks.php

Copy your text to the box provided, press the "Remove Line Breaks"
button, and the fixed text appears in the box below.  Works like a
charm, and far easier than anything I've found before.

I hope this is of some help to you.

Re: Removing line breaks in Open Office writer, etc.

twayne at twaynesdomain
In news:1289695759.2200.11.camel@jeff-desktop,
Jeffrey Needle <[hidden email]> typed:
> I've found a marvelous answer to the problem of removing
> line breaks in Open Office text, etc.

> I hope this is of some help to you.

No help to me: I use OOo's native Replace command for that. See
Tabs, newlines, paragraphs \t \n $
and the following lines for how to.

Re: Removing line breaks in Open Office writer, etc.

Johnny Rosenberg
Den 2010-11-14 18:21:43 skrev Twayne <[hidden email]>:

> In news:1289695759.2200.11.camel@jeff-desktop,
> Jeffrey Needle <[hidden email]> typed:
>> I've found a marvelous answer to the problem of removing
>> line breaks in Open Office text, etc.

>> I hope this is of some help to you.
>
> No help to me: I use OOo's native Replace command for that. See
> Tabs, newlines, paragraphs \t \n $
> and the following lines for how to.

Yes, but I think there was some serious problem with that, if I recall
correctly. The problem was that \n in the search field is Shift+↵ and in
the replace field it is ↵, but there is no way to replace the other way
around, at least not easily.

--
Kind regards

Johnny Rosenberg

Re: Re: Removing line breaks in Open Office writer, etc.

twayne at twaynesdomain
In news:op.vl58celmxqd8ry@pb-laptop,
Johnny Rosenberg <[hidden email]> typed:

> Den 2010-11-14 18:21:43 skrev Twayne
> <[hidden email]>:
>> In news:1289695759.2200.11.camel@jeff-desktop,
>> Jeffrey Needle <[hidden email]> typed:
>>> I've found a marvelous answer to the problem of removing
>>> line breaks in Open Office text, etc.

>>> I hope this is of some help to you.
>>
>> No help to me: I use OOo's native Replace command for
>> that. See Tabs, newlines, paragraphs \t \n $
>> and the following lines for how to.
>
> Yes, but I think there was some serious problem with that,
> if I recall correctly. The problem was that \n in the
> search field is Shift+b5 and in the replace field it is
> b5, but there is no way to replace the other way around,
> at least not easily.

That rings a bell somehow, but IIRC I fixed it by using the "$" expression.
Take a look in Help for "replacing;tab stops (regular expressions)" and see
if that table doesn't help. I'm using 3.2.1 on an XP Pro SP3 Dell T3400
workstation.
   Yes, I know it doesn't sound like the right place in Help, but that chart
is where I found it, again IIRC. IT'll only operate on the last character in
a line. Don't know why it's under tabs - but that's OO's Help, good or
bad.Nothin surprises me in Help anymore.

HTH,

Twayne`

Re: Re: Removing line breaks in Open Office writer, etc.

James Greenidge
Twayne wrote:

> In news:op.vl58celmxqd8ry@pb-laptop,
> Johnny Rosenberg<[hidden email]>  typed:
>> Yes, but I think there was some serious problem with that,
>> if I recall correctly. The problem was that \n in the
>> search field is Shift+b5 and in the replace field it is
>> b5, but there is no way to replace the other way around,
>> at least not easily.
>>

> That rings a bell somehow, but IIRC I fixed it by using the "$" expression.
> Take a look in Help for "replacing;tab stops (regular expressions)" and see
> if that table doesn't help. I'm using 3.2.1 on an XP Pro SP3 Dell T3400
> workstation.
>     Yes, I know it doesn't sound like the right place in Help, but that chart
> is where I found it, again IIRC. IT'll only operate on the last character in
> a line. Don't know why it's under tabs - but that's OO's Help, good or
> bad.Nothin surprises me in Help anymore.
>
> HTH,
>
> Twayne

For a newbie to have to jump hoops to do all that is quite daunting and
can't help OOo's user friendliness any, especially when "lesser" word
processors make it easy. I hope there's a short cut to features like
this in the works.

Jim in NYC

Re: Removing line breaks in Open Office writer, etc.

David B Teague-3
On 11/14/2010 12:32 PM, Johnny Rosenberg wrote:

> Den 2010-11-14 18:21:43 skrev Twayne
> <[hidden email]>:
>
>> In news:1289695759.2200.11.camel@jeff-desktop,
>> Jeffrey Needle <[hidden email]> typed:
>>> I've found a marvelous answer to the problem of removing
>>> line breaks in Open Office text, etc.

>>> I hope this is of some help to you.
>>
>> No help to me: I use OOo's native Replace command for
>> that. See
>> Tabs, newlines, paragraphs \t \n $
>> and the following lines for how to.
>
> Yes, but I think there was some serious problem with that,
> if I recall correctly. The problem was that \n in the
> search field is Shift+↵ and in the replace field it is ↵,
> but there is no way to replace the other way around, at
> least not easily.

If anyone gets a way around that, I want to see it. This is
a recurring problem if you copy stuff from the clipboard
into Writer.
David

Re: Removing line breaks in Open Office writer, etc.

Brian Barker
At 20:26 14/11/2010 -0500, David B Teague wrote:

>On 11/14/2010 12:32 PM, Johnny Rosenberg wrote:
>>Yes, but I think there was some serious problem
>>with that, if I recall correctly. The problem
>>was that \n in the search field is Shift+↵
>>and in the replace field it is ↵, but there
>>is no way to replace the other way around, at least not easily.
>
>If anyone gets a way around that, I want to see
>it. This is a recurring problem if you copy
>stuff from the clipboard into Writer.

If you go to Tools | AutoCorrect Options... |
Options and scroll down, you will see "Combine
single line paragraphs if length greater than
50%".  (If you select this and click Edit..., you
can vary that figure of 50%.)  You can use this
to combine single-line paragraphs.  Just go to Format | AutoCorrect > | Apply.

This will apply all currently selected forms of
auto-correction, and any additional changes may
be unwanted.  If so, try Format | AutoCorrect > |
Apply and Edit Changes instead.  Then click Edit
Changes to reach a panel enabling you to accept or reject individual changes.

You may want to paste any text into a temporary
separate document before carrying out such
editing, to avoid unwanted changes to the rest of
your real document.  The tidied-up text can then
be pasted where you really want it.

I trust this helps.

Brian Barker

Re: Removing line breaks in Open Office writer, etc.

ther

> That rings a bell somehow, but IIRC I fixed it by using the "$" expression.
> Take a look in Help for "replacing;tab stops (regular expressions)" and see

The original question should be solved by using regular expression,
but another part of the help section is 'text documents', 'list of
regular expressions'

At 22:14 16/11/2010 +0000, Nobody "e-letter" Noname wrote:
>The original question should be solved by using regular expression,
>but another part of the help section is 'text documents', 'list of
>regular expressions'

It may be a tad unhelpful to suggest that this problem can be solved
in Writer using regular expressions, but to be so reserved about
exactly how!  Would either of you care to suggest exactly what
regular expressions will solve this problem, please?  Until then,
there are many sceptical faces out here.

You will recall the problem: to take material pasted into Writer
which appears as short lines, each of which is actually a separate
paragraph, and to merge these into a single paragraph.

Brian Barker

Re: Removing line breaks in Open Office writer, etc.

mike scott-2
On 18/11/2010 07:14, Brian Barker wrote:
> You will recall the problem: to take material pasted into Writer which
> appears as short lines, each of which is actually a separate paragraph,
> and to merge these into a single paragraph.

Indeed. I have a related problem - verse pasted from a non-OOo source I
find usually has line ends marked as paragraph breaks. These should
really be changed to the equivalent of shift-return so each verse counts
as a single paragraph for formatting purposes, while 'end of paragraph'
should correspond to end of verse.

At present I go through the hard way with 'delete'. Tedious. The problem
always being that each time this crops up, it's quicker to do it the
hard way rather than hunt for a better method ready for next time.

--
Mike Scott
Harlow, Essex, England

Re: Removing line breaks in Open Office writer, etc.

Hagar de l'Est
See also that topic, there is a link to a nice macro: http://user.services.openoffice.org/en/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=2585

Hagar

On 18/11/2010 19:45, Hagar de l'Est wrote:
> See also that topic, there is a link to a nice macro:
> http://user.services.openoffice.org/en/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=2585

Thanks for the reference. Looks long - I'll take a proper look later.

--
Mike Scott
Harlow, Essex, England

Re: Removing line breaks in Open Office writer, etc.

Richard Detwiler
Mike Scott wrote:

> On 18/11/2010 07:14, Brian Barker wrote:
>> You will recall the problem: to take material pasted into Writer which
>> appears as short lines, each of which is actually a separate paragraph,
>> and to merge these into a single paragraph.
>

> Indeed. I have a related problem - verse pasted from a non-OOo source
> I find usually has line ends marked as paragraph breaks. These should
> really be changed to the equivalent of shift-return so each verse
> counts as a single paragraph for formatting purposes, while 'end of
> paragraph' should correspond to end of verse.
>
> At present I go through the hard way with 'delete'. Tedious. The
> problem always being that each time this crops up, it's quicker to do
> it the hard way rather than hunt for a better method ready for next time.

I've encountered this situation twice in the last couple of days, when
taking text that someone submitted to me for a newsletter, and putting
it into newsletter form.

A search on Help for the term "Removing line breaks" did the trick. Here
is the process (from Help):

-----------------------

Use the AutoCorrect feature to remove line breaks that occur within
sentences. Unwanted line breaks can occur when you copy text from
another source and paste it into a text document.

This AutoCorrect feature only works on text that is formatted with the
"Default" paragraph style.

1.Choose Tools - AutoCorrect Options .
2.On the Options tab, ensure that Combine single line paragraphs if
length greater than 50% is selected. To change the minimum percentage
for the line length, double-click the option in the list, and then enter
a new percentage.
3.Click OK.
4.Select the text containing the line breaks that you want to remove.
5.In the Apply Style box on the Formatting bar, choose Default.
6.Choose Format - AutoCorrect - Apply.