Reporting broken download link

Louis Debrunner

Der Download , der über im nachstehenden Mail angeboten wird,
weist laut Kaspersky Virus-Programm einen Trojaner auf!!!

Nämlich
PDM:Trojan.Win32.Generic

Systemmeldungen nachstehend.

Was raten Sie?
Was ist zu tun?
Kommt dieser Download tatsächlich von OpenOffice?

Besten Dank für Ihre Antwort.

Mit freundlichen Grüssen:
Louis Debrunner

Mit freundlichen Grüssen:

Louis Debrunner

044 948 15 71 Tel p

076 378 35 88 Mobile

Re: Reporting broken download link

Marcus (OOo)
Am 21.10.2017 um 08:28 schrieb Louis Debrunner:

> Der Download , der über im nachstehenden Mail angeboten wird,
> weist laut Kaspersky Virus-Programm einen Trojaner auf!!!
>
> Nämlich
> *PDM:Trojan.Win32.Generic*
>
> Systemmeldungen nachstehend.
>
> Was raten Sie?
> Was ist zu tun?
> Kommt dieser Download tatsächlich von OpenOffice?

thanks for your mail. Please note that attachments are not allowed here
and therefore they are not visible.

First of all - as this is often the first step into a wrong direction -
make sure to download only from the official source:

https://www.openoffice.org/download/

We are taking care to compile and build the software on clean systems to
make sure that OpenOffice is not infected by a virus or other malware.
Therefore it is very likely that the virus alert is a false-positive

When a new software was released - like OpenOffice 4.1.4 is as it is 2
days old - the anti-virus software was maybe not yet updated to
recognize the new software signatures that it don't include any bad parts.

Now you have 2 options:

1. You can wait for one of the next updates of your anti-virus program.

2. Or you can verify yourself the integrity of the downloaded software
by the following steps:

A. Disable the anti-virus software before downloading OpenOffice.
Download only from here.

https://www.openoffice.org/download/

We are using Sourceforge.net as our software host.

B. For download, do not select open, select Save and place in a
memorable location (your Download folder, for example).

C. Use either the PGP or the MD5/SHA verification procedures for
verifying the Download. See here for procedures:

https://www.openoffice.org/download/checksums.html

D. In your anti-virus software, see if there is a setting where it will
only remove or quarantine files after confirmation by you. This will let
you over-rule it in the future, verifying the file yourself instead.

PS:
Please be careful and avoid mentioning your personal contact information
in the Internet. It is readable for everybody and can therefore also
abused by the bad guys.

Marcus

Re: Reporting broken download link

Dave-5
In addition to the information given in the previous reply from Marcus,
you should be aware that the website openoffice<dot>de you are
attempting to download from is not an official Apache owned domain. It
is registered to a person named Arne Koenig in Verden. The file [1]
being offered for download from that site is NOT an exact copy of the
official installation file [2].

[1] Unofficial Installation File
Filename: OpenOffice_4.1.4_Win_x86_install_de.exe
Size: 167 MB (175,205,456 bytes)
SHA256: 4653604ba8edce0627629518f083a5e129fbd2ddb026e935f3abd53235817d5f

[2] Official Installation File
Filename: Apache_OpenOffice_4.1.4_Win_x86_install_de.exe
Size: 166 MB (174,734,171 bytes)
SHA256: 48545078494370d5df9b55b97c310de16154be081a75a5e97f304af068ccd58e

The difference does not automatically indicate that there is an issue
with the unofficial file and clean scan results from 4 major
anti-malware programs suggest that it may be safe, but it would be
advisable to follow the advice from Marcus and only download from:
https://www.openoffice.org/download/

Dave

never be read.

Reporting broken download link

David Szott

I'm on https://www.openoffice.org/download/ (tried IE 11 and Firefox) and downloaded the Windows English (US) 4.1.4 full installation executable, but cannot get to the MD5 page.  I can pull up KEYS and ASC, but both MD5 and SHA256 links pull up a blank page that quickly closes.

Thank you.

David Szott

Problem description

Exchange this text to describe the problem

(What does not work? What do you expect?)

Browser variables

Values

navigator.appCodeName

Mozilla

navigator.appName

Netscape

navigator.appVersion

5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; Trident/7.0; SLCC2; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; .NET CLR 3.5.30729; .NET CLR 3.0.30729; Media Center PC 6.0; .NET4.0C; InfoPath.2; .NET4.0E; rv:11.0) like Gecko

navigator.platform

Win32

navigator.oscpu

undefined

navigator.cpuClass

x86

navigator.product

Gecko

navigator.productSub

undefined

navigator.vendor

navigator.vendorSub

undefined

navigator.language

en-US

navigator.browserLanguage

en-US

navigator.userLanguage

en-US

navigator.systemLanguage

en-US

navigator.userAgent

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; Trident/7.0; SLCC2; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; .NET CLR 3.5.30729; .NET CLR 3.0.30729; Media Center PC 6.0; .NET4.0C; InfoPath.2; .NET4.0E; rv:11.0) like Gecko

Debian / Ubuntu / IceWeasel ?

No / No / No

Stable Release

JavaScript functions/variables

Values

Language ISO code

en-US

Language ISO code (from select box)

en-US

Release matrix platform position (full)

11

Release matrix platform position (lp)

12

Release matrix platform array data

y,134

Release matrix language array data

en-US,English (US),English (US),y,download/index.html

UI platform name

Windows (EXE)

UI platform name (not supported)

Platform (short)

win32

URL platform name (full)

Win_x86_install

URL platform name (lp)

Win_x86_langpack

URL platform name (from select box)

win32

Version (from select box)

4.1.4

File name (full)

Apache_OpenOffice_4.1.4_Win_x86_install_en-US.exe

File name (lp)

Apache_OpenOffice_4.1.4_Win_x86_langpack_en-US.exe

File extension

.exe

File size (full) (MByte)

134

File size (lp) (MByte)

18

Release info

Milestone AOO414m5 | Build ID 9788 | SVN r1811857 | Released 2017-10-19

Download file link (full)

https://sourceforge.net/projects/openofficeorg.mirror/files/4.1.4/binaries/en-US/Apache_OpenOffice_4.1.4_Win_x86_install_en-US.exe/download

Download file link (lp)

https://sourceforge.net/projects/openofficeorg.mirror/files/4.1.4/binaries/en-US/Apache_OpenOffice_4.1.4_Win_x86_langpack_en-US.exe/download

Checksum file link (full) (here for MD5)

https://archive.apache.org/dist/openoffice/4.1.4/binaries/en-US/Apache_OpenOffice_4.1.4_Win_x86_install_en-US.exe.md5

Checksum file link (lp) (here for MD5)

https://archive.apache.org/dist/openoffice/4.1.4/binaries/en-US/Apache_OpenOffice_4.1.4_Win_x86_langpack_en-US.exe.md5

Base URL to Sourceforge.net

https://sourceforge.net/projects/openofficeorg.mirror/files/4.1.4/binaries/

Base URL to Apache Archive

https://archive.apache.org/dist/openoffice/4.1.4

getLinkSelection() (download URL)

undefined

isLanguageSupported() (true/false) ?

true

Show the sub-box (true/false) ?

true

General error (true/false) ?

false

Confidentiality Notice - This communication and any attachments are for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential and privileged information. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure, distribution or copying is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient(s), please contact the sender by replying to this e-mail and destroy/delete all copies of this e-mail message.

Am 25.10.2017 um 19:13 schrieb David Szott:
> I'm on https://www.openoffice.org/download/ (tried IE 11 and Firefox) and downloaded the Windows English (US) 4.1.4 full installation executable, but cannot get to the MD5 page.  I can pull up KEYS and ASC, but both MD5 and SHA256 links pull up a blank page that quickly closes.

thanks for your mail.

After a quick test I cannot see a problem when opening, e.g., this file:

https://archive.apache.org/dist/openoffice/4.1.4/binaries/en-US/Apache_OpenOffice_4.1.4_Win_x86_install_en-US.exe.md5

Do you try to open something different? If so, please tell us the exact URL.

Thanks

Marcus

RE: Reporting broken download link

David Szott
Marcus,

I copied and pasted the link below, which looks identical to the link on the http://www.openoffice.org/download/index.html page when I click on MD5 for Windows English US 4.1.4, and tried it again.  When I go through our proxy server (here at work), it spins for a few minutes and then doesn't find the page.   When I access the link through a non-proxied Charter connection, the link fails right away -- a blank page opens and immediately closes.  But I can get to the KEYS and ASC links, just not the MD5 and SHA256 ones (I normally use MD5 to verify downloads).

David Szott

WARNING: This is an external email that originated outside of our email system.
DO NOT CLICK links or open attachments unless you recognize the sender and know the content is safe!

Am 25.10.2017 um 20:08 schrieb David Szott:
> I copied and pasted the link below, which looks identical to the link on the http://www.openoffice.org/download/index.html page when I click on MD5 for Windows English US 4.1.4, and tried it again.  When I go through our proxy server (here at work), it spins for a few minutes and then doesn't find the page.   When I access the link through a non-proxied Charter connection, the link fails right away -- a blank page opens and immediately closes.  But I can get to the KEYS and ASC links, just not the MD5 and SHA256 ones (I normally use MD5 to verify downloads).

it seems your Internet connection is different when handling such files.
Compared to ASC and KEYS I need to download the MD5 and SHA256 files
instead of seeing them in my browser.

So, can you right click the links and use "Save As" to download and save
them locally? Does it work?

Otherwise I would ask the system admin for help.

I'm pretty sure it would work when you are at home. So, sending the hash
values via mail to your work mailbox can help. Yes, a bit cumbersome ... ;-)

HTH

Marcus

When I right-click on the link and select "save target as", the right-click menu just disappears in my IE 11 (patched up to date).  Happens also for KEYS and ASC.

However, I tried Firefox, and right-click save as does work in Firefox, so I was able to download it.  (I thought I used to be able to just double-click on these MD5 links, but maybe I'm remembering wrong.)

We've been finding more and more IE 11 has trouble with a number of sites, so I won't worry about it.  I can use Firefox for this.

Anyway, thank you for your help.  (The MD5sum did check out against the install file.)

David

WARNING: This is an external email that originated outside of our email system.
DO NOT CLICK links or open attachments unless you recognize the sender and know the content is safe!

Am 25.10.2017 um 20:08 schrieb David Szott:
> I copied and pasted the link below, which looks identical to the link on the http://www.openoffice.org/download/index.html page when I click on MD5 for Windows English US 4.1.4, and tried it again.  When I go through our proxy server (here at work), it spins for a few minutes and then doesn't find the page.   When I access the link through a non-proxied Charter connection, the link fails right away -- a blank page opens and immediately closes.  But I can get to the KEYS and ASC links, just not the MD5 and SHA256 ones (I normally use MD5 to verify downloads).

it seems your Internet connection is different when handling such files.
Compared to ASC and KEYS I need to download the MD5 and SHA256 files instead of seeing them in my browser.

So, can you right click the links and use "Save As" to download and save them locally? Does it work?

Otherwise I would ask the system admin for help.

I'm pretty sure it would work when you are at home. So, sending the hash values via mail to your work mailbox can help. Yes, a bit cumbersome ... ;-)

HTH

Marcus

After I replied, I noticed IE came up with a dialog window to save the file.  But when I clicked on it to save the file, I got:

It tells me it couldn’t download it.

As I mentioned, we have problems sometimes with IE 11, so I won’t worry about this because I can get it in Firefox.  But I thought you’d like to know.

David

*****