Resignation from co-lead

Thorsten Behrens-3
Dear gsl hackers, project leads of OOo -

it is with mixed emotions, that I hereby resign from my role as a gsl
co-lead, in which I served since 2007. My hopes that Oracle would
join TDF have sadly not come to pass.

As I believe in change, I will focus my energies on LibreOffice,
going forward.

At the same time, I would like to personally say thank you to all of
the great people, that I was lucky enough to meet in my nine years
with OOo - I learned a lot from you, and many of you tried hard to
change the project from the inside.

I propose Herbert Duerr as my successor - Herbert works on OOo even
longer than I do, and continues to do miracles to the font and layout
engines.

Best regards,

-- Thorsten

Re: Resignation from co-lead

philipp.lohmann
Thank you for your many years of dedicated work contributing to
OpenOffice.org. The gsl project certainly couldn't have wished for a
better Co-Lead; and certainly the fission of our community is regrettable.

I fully endorse the nomination of Herbert as your successor.

Kind regards, pl

--

<http://www.oracle.com/>
Philipp Lohmann | Software engineer

OracleOpen Office Development

ORACLE Deutschland B.V. & Co. KG

Rijnzathe 6, 3454PV De Meern, Niederlande

<http://www.oracle.com/commitment>

Oracle is committed to developing practices and products that help
protect the environment

Re: Resignation from co-lead

Herbert Duerr-2
Hello Thorsten, hi GSL community,

On Oct 25, 2010, at 11:34 AM, Thorsten Behrens wrote:
> Dear gsl hackers, project leads of OOo -
>
> it is with mixed emotions, that I hereby resign from my role as a gsl
> co-lead, in which I served since 2007. My hopes that Oracle would
> join TDF have sadly not come to pass.
>
> As I believe in change, I will focus my energies on LibreOffice,
> going forward.

I'm also with mixed emotions because of the circumstances of this divorce. The story of the divided communities saddens me a lot and so I'd rather not gain anything from the breakup.

On the other hand I'm not gaining from it because ego-boosting titles mean almost nothing to me and I dislike politics especially in technical contexts. I enjoy solving technical problems and working toward a positive user experience with our product.

> At the same time, I would like to personally say thank you to all of
> the great people, that I was lucky enough to meet in my nine years
> with OOo - I learned a lot from you, and many of you tried hard to
> change the project from the inside.

Ditto.

> I propose Herbert Duerr as my successor - Herbert works on OOo even
> longer than I do, and continues to do miracles to the font and layout
> engines.

I appreciate your endorsement and the compliment. I see my scope as being much broader though. My specialities are i18n, text, graphics, platform integration, algorithms, performance, debugging and backward compatibility. I return the compliment by admiring your marvelous work on the alpha outputdevice, the integration of third party code such as xpdf, agg or vigra and doing some other useful stuff ;-)

Herbert

Re: Resignation from co-lead

Thorsten Behrens-3
Herbert Duerr wrote:
> I appreciate your endorsement and the compliment. I see my scope
> as being much broader though. My specialities are i18n, text,
> graphics, platform integration, algorithms, performance, debugging
> and backward compatibility.

Hi Herbert,

heh, it was not my intention to diminish your work. Sorry if it came
across in that way - you clearly rock in multiple areas. :)

Cheers,

-- Thorsten

Re: Resignation from co-lead

Kazunari Hirano
Thank you! Behrens san

Congratulations! Duerr san

We are looking forward to going forward with "Ideographic Variation
Sequences" support :)

Thanks,
khirano
--
Kazunari Hirano - Marketing Project Coordinator - OpenOffice.org
Japanese Language Project