Saving As Docx

Tony Tsui
Why doesn't OpenOffice support saving document files as .docx?

Re: Saving As Docx

Martin Groenescheij

On 17/02/17 4:11 PM, Tony Tsui wrote:
> Why doesn't OpenOffice support saving document files as .docx?

It export to .doc which can be opened by the latest MS Office version.
Supporting .docx requires a lot of reverse engineering and by the time
you finished coding MS has changed their format.
The problem is with Microsoft that wish to be incompatible with other
formats.

Re: Saving As Docx

toki
On 02/17/2017 05:11 AM, Tony Tsui wrote:
> Why doesn't OpenOffice support saving document files as .docx?

When you say ".docx" which of the following file formats do you mean:
* ECMA-376;
* ISO/IEC 29500 Transitional
* ISO/IEC 29500 Strict;

I thought that there was also an ISO/IEC 29500 Provisional, but right
now, I can't find any details about it.

Or do you mean ".docx" as produced by:
* Word 2003;
* Word 2004;
* Word 2006;
* Word 2008;
* Word 2010;
* Word 2011;
* Word 2013;
* Word 2016;
* MSO 365;

That is 13 different file formats, each with their own mutually
exclusive idiosyncrasies and specifications.

Apache OpenOffice could save to ISO 29500 strict, but the price for that
would be guaranteed incompatibility with Microsoft Office, because MSO
does not support ISO 29500 strict.

jonathon

Re: Saving As Docx

Simon Phipps-3
Hi Tony. Originally it was for ideological reasons (so as not to appear to
endorse Microsoft's format), but I think that is now long passed as a
justification. LibreOffice has implemented this capability and I understand
it was (and remains) a lot of work, so I'd guess that today the main
obstacle is lack of developers capable of major features. If you or anyone
you know are able to implement this I'm sure the developers would welcome
you with open arms.

S.

--
*Simon Phipps*  http://webmink.com

*Office:* +1 (415) 683-7660 *or* +44 (238) 098 7027
*Signal/Mobile*:  +44 774 776 2816

Re: Saving As Docx

Hagar Delest-2
FW to OP.

Hagar

Le 17/02/2017 à 10:03, toki a écrit :

> On 02/17/2017 05:11 AM, Tony Tsui wrote:
>> Why doesn't OpenOffice support saving document files as .docx?
> When you say ".docx" which of the following file formats do you mean:
> * ECMA-376;
> * ISO/IEC 29500 Transitional
> * ISO/IEC 29500 Strict;
>
> I thought that there was also an ISO/IEC 29500 Provisional, but right
> now, I can't find any details about it.
>
> Or do you mean ".docx" as produced by:
> * Word 2003;
> * Word 2004;
> * Word 2006;
> * Word 2008;
> * Word 2010;
> * Word 2011;
> * Word 2013;
> * Word 2016;
> * MSO 365;
>
> That is 13 different file formats, each with their own mutually
> exclusive idiosyncrasies and specifications.
>
> Apache OpenOffice could save to ISO 29500 strict, but the price for that
> would be guaranteed incompatibility with Microsoft Office, because MSO
> does not support ISO 29500 strict.
>
> jonathon

Re: Saving As Docx

Hagar Delest-2
FW to OP.

Hagar

Le 17/02/2017 à 06:43, Martin Groenescheij a écrit :

> On 17/02/17 4:11 PM, Tony Tsui wrote:
>> Why doesn't OpenOffice support saving document files as .docx?
>
> It export to .doc which can be opened by the latest MS Office version.
> Supporting .docx requires a lot of reverse engineering and by the time you finished coding MS has changed their format.
> The problem is with Microsoft that wish to be incompatible with other formats.

Re: Saving As Docx

Isaac Schrader
You have to convert it online to a MS office file.

Openoffice only saves as .odt files

________________________________
Le 17/02/2017 à 06:43, Martin Groenescheij a écrit :

> On 17/02/17 4:11 PM, Tony Tsui wrote:
>> Why doesn't OpenOffice support saving document files as .docx?
>
> It export to .doc which can be opened by the latest MS Office version.
> Supporting .docx requires a lot of reverse engineering and by the time you finished coding MS has changed their format.
> The problem is with Microsoft that wish to be incompatible with other formats.

Re: Saving As Docx

Brian Barker
At 22:14 18/02/2017 +0000, Isaac Schrader wrote:
>Openoffice only saves as .odt files

That's simply untrue, of course. OpenOffice (Writer) can save text
documents in a number of formats - including Microsoft's .doc format.

Brian Barker

Re: Saving As Docx

ninja_glace
CC'ing the OP.

Would also like to add that as long as MS Office continues to support
the original file formats (.doc, .xls, and .ppt), there is no legitimate
need for OpenOffice to save in the newer file formats (.docx, .xlsx, and
.pptx).

It has been stated previously on this thread that developer resources
are already scarce.  Unless Microsoft decides to pull the plug on these
older file formats, OpenOffice will continue to export them.

On 2017-02-18 22:14, Isaac Schrader wrote:

> You have to convert it online to a MS office file.
>
> Openoffice only saves as .odt files
>
> ________________________________

nasrin khaksar
hello.
openoffice now supports import and exportt of files to odt and doc and
some other format like html, txt, rtf etc.
but if you need exporting as docx, i recommend you to install libreoffice.
it even supports as docx format!

libreoffice is one fork of openoffice and most of there features are the same.
but libreoffice has more options in compare to openoffice.
 because libreoffice' license is mozilla public license if i am correct.

http://www.libreoffice.org

> CC'ing the OP.
>
> Would also like to add that as long as MS Office continues to support
> the original file formats (.doc, .xls, and .ppt), there is no legitimate
> need for OpenOffice to save in the newer file formats (.docx, .xlsx, and
> .pptx).
>
> It has been stated previously on this thread that developer resources
> are already scarce.  Unless Microsoft decides to pull the plug on these
> older file formats, OpenOffice will continue to export them.
>
> On 2017-02-18 22:14, Isaac Schrader wrote:
>
>> You have to convert it online to a MS office file.
>>
>> Openoffice only saves as .odt files

holy quran, chapter 21, verse 107.
in the very authentic narration is:
al-islam.org