Saving changes in original

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
6 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Saving changes in original

SaleemaEG
Hi, and thank you so much for open office, it is great!

Would you please tell me how to "save" changes in my original document
without creating a new version?  I am trying to save my changes (I do not
choose "save as")  but I keep getting a new page with the edit I want to
save. Sometimes I simply notice a misspelled word and I correct it,  but
the original remains the same. Is there a way to* save* in the original?

Thank you in advance for any help you can offer.

With Gratitude,
Saleema
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Saving changes in original

Alan Boba-2
Saleema,

To save changes to an existing document, File>Save, is the way to do it.
Note, if there are no changes "Save" will be dimmed and clicking it doesn't
cause any action.

If this is what you are doing already then a little more detail about the
exact steps from opening the file to attempting to save it would be helpful.

Also, is this a problem with every document you attempt to edit and save or
with only one or a small number of documents?


On Fri, Mar 6, 2020 at 4:28 AM SaleemaEG <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi, and thank you so much for open office, it is great!
>
> Would you please tell me how to "save" changes in my original document
> without creating a new version?  I am trying to save my changes (I do not
> choose "save as")  but I keep getting a new page with the edit I want to
> save. Sometimes I simply notice a misspelled word and I correct it,  but
> the original remains the same. Is there a way to* save* in the original?
>
> Thank you in advance for any help you can offer.
>
> With Gratitude,
> Saleema
>


--
Alan Boba
CISSP, CCENT, ITIL v3 Foundations 2011
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Saving changes in original

SaleemaEG
Thanks so much for your quick response Alan.

I tried to remedy the issue last night and found that the "save" option was not checked in settings, only the "save as" option was checked. I then checked the "save" option and that seemed to correct the problem on every new doc I opened. However, my original one will only "save as."  Not a big deal, may be a glitch on my computer, but if you have any ideas about it, I would appreciate your input.

Thanks for the awesome work you and the Open Office team accomplish. Well done!

Best,
Saleema

> On Mar 6, 2020, at 8:26 AM, Alan B <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Saleema,
>
> To save changes to an existing document, File>Save, is the way to do it.
> Note, if there are no changes "Save" will be dimmed and clicking it doesn't
> cause any action.
>
> If this is what you are doing already then a little more detail about the
> exact steps from opening the file to attempting to save it would be helpful.
>
> Also, is this a problem with every document you attempt to edit and save or
> with only one or a small number of documents?
>
>
>> On Fri, Mar 6, 2020 at 4:28 AM SaleemaEG <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hi, and thank you so much for open office, it is great!
>>
>> Would you please tell me how to "save" changes in my original document
>> without creating a new version?  I am trying to save my changes (I do not
>> choose "save as")  but I keep getting a new page with the edit I want to
>> save. Sometimes I simply notice a misspelled word and I correct it,  but
>> the original remains the same. Is there a way to* save* in the original?
>>
>> Thank you in advance for any help you can offer.
>>
>> With Gratitude,
>> Saleema
>
>
> --
> Alan Boba
> CISSP, CCENT, ITIL v3 Foundations 2011
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Saving changes in original

WA.TWORSX via AOL-2
In reply to this post by SaleemaEG

What type of document are you working with? From your description, seems
that it might be a template (.ott).


On 3/6/2020 3:28 AM, SaleemaEG wrote:

> Hi, and thank you so much for open office, it is great!
>
> Would you please tell me how to "save" changes in my original document
> without creating a new version?  I am trying to save my changes (I do not
> choose "save as")  but I keep getting a new page with the edit I want to
> save. Sometimes I simply notice a misspelled word and I correct it,  but
> the original remains the same. Is there a way to* save* in the original?
>
> Thank you in advance for any help you can offer.
>
> With Gratitude,
> Saleema
>

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Saving changes in original

SaleemaEG
It is a text doc.  Could it have happened because when I composed the
original I didn't have "save" checked in settings?  After I checked that
box every test doc saved fine.

On Sat, Mar 7, 2020 at 9:18 AM WA.TWORSX via AOL
<[hidden email]> wrote:

>
> What type of document are you working with? From your description, seems
> that it might be a template (.ott).
>
>
> On 3/6/2020 3:28 AM, SaleemaEG wrote:
> > Hi, and thank you so much for open office, it is great!
> >
> > Would you please tell me how to "save" changes in my original document
> > without creating a new version?  I am trying to save my changes (I do not
> > choose "save as")  but I keep getting a new page with the edit I want to
> > save. Sometimes I simply notice a misspelled word and I correct it,  but
> > the original remains the same. Is there a way to* save* in the original?
> >
> > Thank you in advance for any help you can offer.
> >
> > With Gratitude,
> > Saleema
> >
>
> ---------------------------------------------------------------------
> To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
> For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]
>
>
>
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Saving changes in original

Alan Boba-2
In reply to this post by SaleemaEG
Sorry Saleema, no new ideas.

I am not certain from your description what steps you take to get to the
point Save is not available.
You say '...the "save" option was not checked in settings...'. In which
settings?
When I have Writer open there is no "Settings" menu. There are "File",
"Edit", "View", "Insert", "Format", "Table", "Tools", "Window", and "Help"
menu items. None of the sub menus under any of those menus has a "settings"
option.
More specificity is needed about the steps you are taking to understand
clearly how you get to the point of "Save" not being available.

e.g.
1) open Writer,
2) after Writer is open use the File>Open menu,
3) find and select "my file"
... (and what folder is the file in? Documents, Downloads, someplace
else)...
4) click "Open"
-- or --
1) find file on computer (where, maybe Documents?),
2) double-click file to open
-- or --
...something else? If so, describe the process step-by-step.

And once the file is open similar step-by-step description as above to get
to the point of saving the file.

On Fri, Mar 6, 2020 at 1:19 PM Saleemaeg <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thanks so much for your quick response Alan.
>
> I tried to remedy the issue last night and found that the "save" option
> was not checked in settings, only the "save as" option was checked. I then
> checked the "save" option and that seemed to correct the problem on every
> new doc I opened. However, my original one will only "save as."  Not a big
> deal, may be a glitch on my computer, but if you have any ideas about it, I
> would appreciate your input.
>
> Thanks for the awesome work you and the Open Office team accomplish. Well
> done!
>
> Best,
> Saleema
>
> > On Mar 6, 2020, at 8:26 AM, Alan B <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > Saleema,
> >
> > To save changes to an existing document, File>Save, is the way to do it.
> > Note, if there are no changes "Save" will be dimmed and clicking it
> doesn't
> > cause any action.
> >
> > If this is what you are doing already then a little more detail about the
> > exact steps from opening the file to attempting to save it would be
> helpful.
> >
> > Also, is this a problem with every document you attempt to edit and save
> or
> > with only one or a small number of documents?
> >
> >
> >> On Fri, Mar 6, 2020 at 4:28 AM SaleemaEG <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >>
> >> Hi, and thank you so much for open office, it is great!
> >>
> >> Would you please tell me how to "save" changes in my original document
> >> without creating a new version?  I am trying to save my changes (I do
> not
> >> choose "save as")  but I keep getting a new page with the edit I want to
> >> save. Sometimes I simply notice a misspelled word and I correct it,  but
> >> the original remains the same. Is there a way to* save* in the original?
> >>
> >> Thank you in advance for any help you can offer.
> >>
> >> With Gratitude,
> >> Saleema
> >
> >
> > --
> > Alan Boba
> > CISSP, CCENT, ITIL v3 Foundations 2011
>


--
Alan Boba
CISSP, CCENT, ITIL v3 Foundations 2011