Scanning

Previous Topic Next Topic
 
classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
6 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Scanning

Derek Garner
I am not very computer literate. Can you help. I have installed Microsoft
scanner which works ok. The preview shows the document is properly
formatted.I download the scanned document to open office, however when I
highlight the document in the file it appears in a non readable form?
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Scanning

David Belina-2
Preview would show what is scanned but if the program you did not OCR (Optical Character Reader) the file to convert it into text, OO will try to read it based on the tension you added to the files when you scanned it.  Research OCR in the documentation for your scanner program.

Dave


On September 24, 2020 at 4:21:11 PM, Derek Garner ([hidden email]) wrote:

I am not very computer literate. Can you help. I have installed Microsoft  
scanner which works ok. The preview shows the document is properly  
formatted.I download the scanned document to open office, however when I  
highlight the document in the file it appears in a non readable form?  
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Scanning

Herbert BRUDER
In reply to this post by Derek Garner
Hi,
try to re scan the document and save it in JPG format, OpenOffice should
recognize it.

You may try another trick :
insert a table in OO Document One columns, two rows, the second row you may
use as the title or description,
then
click in row one
and
choose INSERT a LINK (to the picture)
choosing it in the file dialog.
"Save as", best in the same folder as the pict.
You should have it done !

Kind regards, Herbert, Versailles, France

Le ven. 25 sept. 2020 à 00:21, Derek Garner <[hidden email]> a écrit :

> I am not very computer literate. Can you help. I have installed Microsoft
> scanner which works ok. The preview shows the document is properly
> formatted.I download the scanned document to open office, however when I
> highlight the document in the file it appears in a non readable form?
>
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Scanning

W. Robert J. Funnell, Prof.
In reply to this post by Derek Garner
Derek -

Your scanner is presumably producing images of text rather than actual
editable text. Unless you want to retype all the text yourself, you
will need to try using 'optical character recognition' (OCR). See
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Optical_character_recognition and
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_optical_character_recognition_software

It's possible that the software that came with your scanner includes
an OCR feature.

- Robert

On Thu, 24 Sep 2020, Derek Garner wrote:

> I am not very computer literate. Can you help. I have installed Microsoft
> scanner which works ok. The preview shows the document is properly
> formatted.I download the scanned document to open office, however when I
> highlight the document in the file it appears in a non readable form?
>

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Scanning

Don Minow
In reply to this post by David Belina-2
For what it’s worth, I just scanned a text document I created with both black and colored text on my Brother MFC J485CW scanner at 200 x 200 resolution, 24 bit color. I scanned it to a .docx file.  I opened the .docx file and the document text had scanned perfectly, but there were formatting errors.  Specifically, line and paragraph spacing were missing, and one line of text was not complete, but the entire document was usable with minor editing.  On a retry I reopened the scanned document and it came out perfect – line feeds were correct and the color text was where it should be.  It may take some playing around to get it correct, but it appears that the Brother printer has an excellent OCR capability built in.

The original document was clean and had been prepared using LibreOffice/Writer/Ariel/12 point and after  scanning, was saved in .odt format.

Don Minow
[hidden email]

> On 09/24/2020 3:33 PM David Belina <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>  
> Preview would show what is scanned but if the program you did not OCR (Optical Character Reader) the file to convert it into text, OO will try to read it based on the tension you added to the files when you scanned it.  Research OCR in the documentation for your scanner program.
>
> Dave
>
>
> On September 24, 2020 at 4:21:11 PM, Derek Garner ([hidden email]) wrote:
>
> I am not very computer literate. Can you help. I have installed Microsoft  
> scanner which works ok. The preview shows the document is properly  
> formatted.I download the scanned document to open office, however when I  
> highlight the document in the file it appears in a non readable form?

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Scanning

Rory O'Farrell
In reply to this post by W. Robert J. Funnell, Prof.
On Thu, 24 Sep 2020 18:36:20 -0400 (Eastern Summer Time)
Robert Funnell <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Derek -
>
> Your scanner is presumably producing images of text rather than actual
> editable text. Unless you want to retype all the text yourself, you
> will need to try using 'optical character recognition' (OCR). See
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Optical_character_recognition and
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_optical_character_recognition_software
>
> It's possible that the software that came with your scanner includes
> an OCR feature.
>
> - Robert


There are shareware/freeware OCR programs - Tesseract is very effective.  OCRing a document will usually try to recreate the exact format of the document, so you may need to edit that if you are intending to reformat the document. In addition, OCR only has an accuracy level of about 97-98%, depending on quality of the original, so you will need to proof-read to find such errors and edit to correct them.  In particular, figures should be checked and rechecked if they are of importance to the document.

Rory


>
> On Thu, 24 Sep 2020, Derek Garner wrote:
>
> > I am not very computer literate. Can you help. I have installed Microsoft
> > scanner which works ok. The preview shows the document is properly
> > formatted.I download the scanned document to open office, however when I
> > highlight the document in the file it appears in a non readable form?
> >
>
> ---------------------------------------------------------------------
> To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
> For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]
>


--
Rory O'Farrell <[hidden email]>

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]