Scans to text

Michael Dewey
Hi,
I have Open Office 4.1.5, and Cannon Cannon MX892 Printer.
I would like to know how to scan a text doc into text in Open Office?
Leoburg911
Michael C Dewey

Re: Scans to text

Steven Ahlers
Michael,

Use the OCR app that is part of your scanner software. Then copy and paste the resultant text into a Writer document.

If your scanner doesn’t include OCR app there are FOSS OCR apps available depending on what OS you are using.

Sent from my iPhone

> On Aug 30, 2018, at 4:22 PM, Michael Dewey <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi,
> I have Open Office 4.1.5, and Cannon Cannon MX892 Printer.
> I would like to know how to scan a text doc into text in Open Office?
> Leoburg911
> Michael C Dewey

Re: Scans to text

Rory O'Farrell
On Thu, 30 Aug 2018 23:22:33 +0000 (UTC)
Michael Dewey <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
> I have Open Office 4.1.5, and Cannon Cannon MX892 Printer.
> I would like to know how to scan a text doc into text in Open Office?
> Leoburg911
> Michael C Dewey

A scanner is basically a camera that photographs sheets of paper. Its output is a picture. You can read any text in that picture, but the computer cannot. For the computer to do this, it needs a special program called an OCR (Optical Character Recognition) program; these are often supplied with the the scanner and will read the scan (the "photograph" of the page) into a text file - sometimes .doc, sometimes .html, sometimes .txt. You then open (or insert) this file into an OO document and can proceed to edit it.

Complete integration of this process, so that a scanner produces a text file directly in OO, is very complex and has not been implemented.

--
Rory O'Farrell <[hidden email]>

Re: Scans to text

Ian Whitfield-3

Hi Michael

Google Docs has the best OCR Program I have ever used - well worth a look at!!

Scan your document - post it up to Google Drive - Select OCR from within Google. 90++ accurate!!