Section deletion or avoidance?

Richard Cleaveland
I buried this question in another post so perhaps it was overlooked.

The third-party application that generates my large file creates
sections; in all there are about 950+ of these. It seems that with this
arrangement I can't have page numbers and header/footer definitions
cover the entire file; they'd have to be redone for each section.  !!

I need a clue as to how to either eliminate the section boundaries or to
arrange for header and footer information to propagate beyond the
section boundaries.  I looked at the XML and, even if I could clearly
define the code that does the sectioning it looks like removal would be
tough.

Dick

Re: Section deletion or avoidance?

Robin Laing
Richard Cleaveland wrote:

> I buried this question in another post so perhaps it was overlooked.
>
> The third-party application that generates my large file creates
> sections; in all there are about 950+ of these. It seems that with this
> arrangement I can't have page numbers and header/footer definitions
> cover the entire file; they'd have to be redone for each section.  !!
>
> I need a clue as to how to either eliminate the section boundaries or to
> arrange for header and footer information to propagate beyond the
> section boundaries.  I looked at the XML and, even if I could clearly
> define the code that does the sectioning it looks like removal would be
> tough.
>
> Dick

Take a look at Styles, you may be able to write your own style.  I
cannot say more as I am a NOOB on styles myself.

Re: Section deletion or avoidance?

G. Roderick Singleton-2
On Tue, 2005-11-15 at 12:39 -0500, Richard Cleaveland wrote:

> I buried this question in another post so perhaps it was overlooked.
>
> The third-party application that generates my large file creates
> sections; in all there are about 950+ of these. It seems that with this
> arrangement I can't have page numbers and header/footer definitions
> cover the entire file; they'd have to be redone for each section.  !!
>
> I need a clue as to how to either eliminate the section boundaries or to
> arrange for header and footer information to propagate beyond the
> section boundaries.  I looked at the XML and, even if I could clearly
> define the code that does the sectioning it looks like removal would be
> tough.

What you describe sounds very much like what is controlled by a master
document. Using the master doc you can have footers, headers et cetera.
Check http://documentation.openoffice.org/ for guides and HOW-TOs.
--
PLEASE KEEP MESSAGES ON THE LIST.
OpenOffice.org Documentation Co-Lead

G. Roderick Singleton wrote:

>What you describe sounds very much like what is controlled by a master
>document. Using the master doc you can have footers, headers et cetera.
>Check http://documentation.openoffice.org/ for guides and HOW-TOs.

Studied it and didn't find a way to create a single document from a set
including a master document. I would expect that this arrangement would
be evidenced by several files in a set, and what I have is a single
large file.

Thanks for the suggestion, though - I learned something from the studying!

Dick

Re: Section deletion or avoidance?

John P. Fisher
Perhaps its time for a conversion Macro?
just don't ask me how - but there are those-who-know.

On Wed, 2005-11-16 at 08:14 -0500, Richard Cleaveland wrote:
> G. Roderick Singleton wrote:
>
> >What you describe sounds very much like what is controlled by a master
> >document....
> Studied it and didn't find a way to create a single document from a set
> including a master document.
--
John Fisher at Znyx Networks
Santa Barbara office

john fisher wrote:

>Perhaps its time for a conversion Macro?
>just don't ask me how - but there are those-who-know.

I hope one of those can help me out, wherever they are.  It seems like
it ought to be a very simple problem, but doesn't seem to be. To recap:
I have a large document that seems to be in sections (over 900) and I
want to de-sectionize it so that page numbers and header/footer stuff
will propagate throughout  the document.

Dick

>On Wed, 2005-11-16 at 08:14 -0500, Richard Cleaveland wrote:
>

>>G. Roderick Singleton wrote:
>>

>>>What you describe sounds very much like what is controlled by a master
>>>document....
>>>

>>Studied it and didn't find a way to create a single document from a set
>>including a master document.

Re: Section deletion or avoidance?

Naomi Kramer
Have you tried this?

   1.

      Choose *Format - Sections*
      <vnd.sun.star.help://swriter/text/swriter/01/02170000.xhp?Language=en-US&System=WIN&UseDB=no>.

   2.

      In the *Section *list, click the section you want to modify.

   3.

      Do one of the following:

    *

      To convert a section into normal text, click *Remove*.

    *

      To make a section read-only, select the *Protected *check box in
      the *Write Protection *area.

    *

      To hide a section, select the *Hide *check box in the *Hide *area.

   4.

      Set the other options that you want, and then click *OK*.

(I played around, and found that it's possible to select all sections
and click on Remove... this deletes all section 'tags' (for want of a
better word - my vocab is failing today) without deleting the text.)

Warnings...
1. I assumed OOo Writer 2.0
2. If you remove all sections from the document at once, you may well
crash Writer.

(the instructions came straight from Help, btw)

- Naomi

> I buried this question in another post so perhaps it was overlooked.
>
> The third-party application that generates my large file creates
> sections; in all there are about 950+ of these. It seems that with
> this arrangement I can't have page numbers and header/footer
> definitions cover the entire file; they'd have to be redone for each
> section.  !!
>
> I need a clue as to how to either eliminate the section boundaries or
> to arrange for header and footer information to propagate beyond the
> section boundaries.  I looked at the XML and, even if I could clearly
> define the code that does the sectioning it looks like removal would
> be tough.
>
> Dick

Re: Section deletion or avoidance?

Naomi Kramer
Ew. Apologies for the yucky formatting of previous email.

Naomi Kramer wrote:

> Have you tried this?  1.     Choose *Format - Sections*
>
> <vnd.sun.star.help://swriter/text/swriter/01/02170000.xhp?Language=en-US&System=WIN&UseDB=no>.
>

>   2.      In the *Section *list, click the section you want to modify.
>   3.      Do one of the following:
>
>    *      To convert a section into normal text, click *Remove*.

(reformatted and snip)

Yes, I tried that (reported some time ago) in accordance with the help
advice and selecting all sections (CTL-A).  What it apparently does is
remove the section boundaries (all become section 1) BUT it does NOT
then permit all pages to be renumbered as one unit nor does it permit
the headers and footers to be treated as a unit (that is, all stop at
the end of what was section 1 before). I tried saving and re-opening the
file after this and the problem remained. Perhaps it's a problem (bug)
with the section removal process; all evidence seems to suggest it IS
section-related.

Perhaps someone knows what mod can be made to the XML to fix this.

Still looking for help.

Dick

Re: Section deletion or avoidance?

Andrew Pitonyak
Richard Cleaveland wrote:

> Naomi Kramer wrote:
>
>> Have you tried this?  1.     Choose *Format - Sections*
>>
>> <vnd.sun.star.help://swriter/text/swriter/01/02170000.xhp?Language=en-US&System=WIN&UseDB=no>.
>>

>>   2.      In the *Section *list, click the section you want to modify.
>>   3.      Do one of the following:
>>
>>    *      To convert a section into normal text, click *Remove*.
>

> (reformatted and snip)
>
> Yes, I tried that (reported some time ago) in accordance with the help
> advice and selecting all sections (CTL-A).  What it apparently does is
> remove the section boundaries (all become section 1) BUT it does NOT
> then permit all pages to be renumbered as one unit nor does it permit
> the headers and footers to be treated as a unit (that is, all stop at
> the end of what was section 1 before). I tried saving and re-opening
> the file after this and the problem remained. Perhaps it's a problem
> (bug) with the section removal process; all evidence seems to suggest
> it IS section-related.
>
> Perhaps someone knows what mod can be made to the XML to fix this.
>
> Still looking for help.
>
> Dick

I must admit that I missed the entire thread on this post, whic means
that I do not really understand the problem or how to reproduce it, etc...

Can you create a "before" and "after" document that demonstrates the
problem? It is best if the document contains a description of the
problem along wiht the steps required to recreate the problem.

After you have done this, can you create an issue for this problem? Do
you know how to do this? If you do know how, after you create the issue,
can you email me the issue number to "[hidden email]"

If you do not know how to create an issue, can you simply email me the
two files so that I can reproduce the problem by doing exactly what you
have done.

My primary interest is NOT that I am an expert on this, but that if I
see the problem, then I can write some macros to examine the document
internals and attempt to figure out what went wrong based on the
incorrect output.

--
Andrew Pitonyak
My Book: http://www.hentzenwerke.com/catalog/oome.htm

Andrew Douglas Pitonyak wrote:

> I must admit that I missed the entire thread on this post, whic means
> that I do not really understand the problem or how to reproduce it,
> etc...
>
> Can you create a "before" and "after" document that demonstrates the
> problem? It is best if the document contains a description of the
> problem along wiht the steps required to recreate the problem.
>
> After you have done this, can you create an issue for this problem? Do
> you know how to do this? If you do know how, after you create the
> issue, can you email me the issue number to "[hidden email]"
>
> If you do not know how to create an issue, can you simply email me the
> two files so that I can reproduce the problem by doing exactly what
> you have done.
>
> My primary interest is NOT that I am an expert on this, but that if I
> see the problem, then I can write some macros to examine the document
> internals and attempt to figure out what went wrong based on the
> incorrect output.

FYI all - since I an a relative newbie here in the OOo world I have
opted to forward the related files to him. I sure hope he isn't using
dial-up!

Richard Cleaveland wrote:

> Andrew Douglas Pitonyak wrote:
>
>> I must admit that I missed the entire thread on this post, whic means
>> that I do not really understand the problem or how to reproduce it,
>> etc...
>>
>> Can you create a "before" and "after" document that demonstrates the
>> problem? It is best if the document contains a description of the
>> problem along wiht the steps required to recreate the problem.
>>
>> After you have done this, can you create an issue for this problem?
>> Do you know how to do this? If you do know how, after you create the
>> issue, can you email me the issue number to "[hidden email]"
>>
>> If you do not know how to create an issue, can you simply email me
>> the two files so that I can reproduce the problem by doing exactly
>> what you have done.
>>
>> My primary interest is NOT that I am an expert on this, but that if I
>> see the problem, then I can write some macros to examine the document
>> internals and attempt to figure out what went wrong based on the
>> incorrect output.
>>
> FYI all - since I an a relative newbie here in the OOo world I have
> opted to forward the related files to him. I sure hope he isn't using
> dial-up!
>
> Dick

The primary problem with the document is that it contains 1982 different
page styles. The footer is tied to the page style. So, all 1982 extra
page styles needed to be modified to contain a footer. The extra footers
are related to the way that the original DOC file is created. I provided
a macro that deletes all of these extra page styles so that a single
page style can be used for the entire document, so that only one footer
needed to be declared.

Now, the biggest problem is that OOo takes a long long long time to do
things to a document that contains more than 1000 pages. On loading, the
document reformats and it is difficult to edit the document during this
time.