Soft redirect to localized sub-sites

12

Soft redirect to localized sub-sites

Aivaras Stepukonis
Hello,

Visitors of  openoffice.org used to be redirected to their language
sub-sites. This feature stopped working a while ago. Does anyone know why?

Regards,

Aivaras

Re: Soft redirect to localized sub-sites

Taavi Kaevats
Hi,

slightly offtopic, but still related to webpage in question - What is
wrong with security on that webpage?
Firefox reports the https connetion is secure, but google chrome
reports not secure
https://prnt.sc/vhwaws

Taavi

> Hello,
>
> Visitors of  openoffice.org used to be redirected to their language
> sub-sites. This feature stopped working a while ago. Does anyone know why?
>
> Regards,
>
> Aivaras

Taavi Kaevats
e-mail: [hidden email]

Re: Soft redirect to localized sub-sites

Matthias Seidel
Hi Taavi,

Did you really use https?
Chrome is totally OK for me with that page.

We will enable a permanent redirection to https when we finished the
transition to our new CMS.

Regards,

   Matthias

smime.p7s (5K) Download Attachment

Re: Soft redirect to localized sub-sites

Matthias Seidel
Hi Aivaras,

Am 12.11.20 um 10:53 schrieb Aivaras Stepukonis:
> Hello,
>
> Visitors of  openoffice.org used to be redirected to their language
> sub-sites. This feature stopped working a while ago. Does anyone know
> why?

"Soft" redirection works for German...
I had a look, for the LT page "hard" redirection is enabled.

Do you use Firefox? I think I had issues with that some while ago...

Regards,

   Matthias

> Regards,
>
> Aivaras

smime.p7s (5K) Download Attachment

Re: Soft redirect to localized sub-sites

Taavi Kaevats
ah.. i didnt use neither http nor https. i only clicked link from
Aivaras's e-mail (openoffice.org) without specified protocol. it seems
my firefox opened it as https, but my chrome opened as http by
default. Different behavior of the two browsers, it seems

> Hi Taavi,
>
> Did you really use https?
> Chrome is totally OK for me with that page.
>
> We will enable a permanent redirection to https when we finished the
> transition to our new CMS.
>
> Regards,
>
>    Matthias
>
> Am 12.11.20 um 11:14 schrieb Taavi Kaevats:
>> Hi,
>>
>> slightly offtopic, but still related to webpage in question - What is
>> wrong with security on that webpage?
>> Firefox reports the https connetion is secure, but google chrome
>> reports not secure
>> https://prnt.sc/vhwaws
>>
>> Taavi

>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> Visitors of  openoffice.org used to be redirected to their language
>>> sub-sites. This feature stopped working a while ago. Does anyone know
>>> why?
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>>
>>> Aivaras

Taavi Kaevats
e-mail: [hidden email]

Re: Soft redirect to localized sub-sites

Aivaras Stepukonis
Yep, Firefox. Checked the action on Chrome. Same thing: no re-dirction.

Regards,

Aivaras

2020-11-12 12:25, Matthias Seidel rašė:
> "Soft" redirection works for German...
> I had a look, for the LT page "hard" redirection is enabled.
>
> Do you use Firefox? I think I had issues with that some while ago...
>
> Regards,
>
>     Matthias

Re: Soft redirect to localized sub-sites

Matthias Seidel

> Hi Aivaras,
>
> Am 12.11.20 um 10:53 schrieb Aivaras Stepukonis:
>> Hello,
>>
>> Visitors of  openoffice.org used to be redirected to their language
>> sub-sites. This feature stopped working a while ago. Does anyone know
>> why?
> "Soft" redirection works for German...
> I had a look, for the LT page "hard" redirection is enabled.
>
> Do you use Firefox? I think I had issues with that some while ago...
With Firefox I used to be able to test redirection by setting the
preferred language for web content.

Now that only works with some languages (Korean being one)...
My guess is that it is a problem of newer Firefox versions.

BTW: Redirection is defined here:

https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/openoffice/ooo-site/trunk/content/msg_prop_l10n.js

Regards,

   Matthias

> Regards,
>
>    Matthias
>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Aivaras

smime.p7s (5K) Download Attachment

Re: Soft redirect to localized sub-sites

Aivaras Stepukonis
I don't think it's an issue with Firefox. I've tested it on Chrome,
Edge, and Opera. Neither one re-directs to https://www.openoffice.org/lt/

Regards,

Aivaras

2020-11-12 13:59, Matthias Seidel rašė:

>> Hi Aivaras,
>>
>> Am 12.11.20 um 10:53 schrieb Aivaras Stepukonis:
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> Visitors of  openoffice.org used to be redirected to their language
>>> sub-sites. This feature stopped working a while ago. Does anyone know
>>> why?
>> "Soft" redirection works for German...
>> I had a look, for the LT page "hard" redirection is enabled.
>>
>> Do you use Firefox? I think I had issues with that some while ago...
> With Firefox I used to be able to test redirection by setting the
> preferred language for web content.
>
> Now that only works with some languages (Korean being one)...
> My guess is that it is a problem of newer Firefox versions.
>
> BTW: Redirection is defined here:
>
> https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/openoffice/ooo-site/trunk/content/msg_prop_l10n.js
>
> Regards,
>
>     Matthias
>
>> Regards,
>>
>>     Matthias
>>
>>> Regards,
>>>
>>> Aivaras

Re: Soft redirect to localized sub-sites

Matthias Seidel
Can you set your preferred language to German or Korean and test the
soft redirection?
As said, for German it always worked...

May be it is a problem of the "hard" redirection.

Regards,

   Matthias

Am 12.11.20 um 13:04 schrieb Aivaras Stepukonis:

> I don't think it's an issue with Firefox. I've tested it on Chrome,
> Edge, and Opera. Neither one re-directs to https://www.openoffice.org/lt/
>
> Regards,
>
> Aivaras
>
> 2020-11-12 13:59, Matthias Seidel rašė:
>> Hi,

>>> Hi Aivaras,

>>> "Soft" redirection works for German...
>>> I had a look, for the LT page "hard" redirection is enabled.
>>>
>>> Do you use Firefox? I think I had issues with that some while ago...
>> With Firefox I used to be able to test redirection by setting the
>> preferred language for web content.
>>
>> Now that only works with some languages (Korean being one)...
>> My guess is that it is a problem of newer Firefox versions.
>>
>> BTW: Redirection is defined here:
>>
>> https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/openoffice/ooo-site/trunk/content/msg_prop_l10n.js
>>

>> Regards,
>>
>>     Matthias
>>
>>> Regards,
>>>
>>>     Matthias

smime.p7s (5K) Download Attachment

Re: Soft redirect to localized sub-sites

Aivaras Stepukonis
Switching the browser UI to German did nothing. I'm still taken to
openoffice.org.

Regards,

Aivaras

2020-11-12 14:07, Matthias Seidel rašė:

> Can you set your preferred language to German or Korean and test the
> soft redirection?
> As said, for German it always worked...
>
> May be it is a problem of the "hard" redirection.
>
> Regards,
>
>     Matthias
>
> Am 12.11.20 um 13:04 schrieb Aivaras Stepukonis:
>> I don't think it's an issue with Firefox. I've tested it on Chrome,
>> Edge, and Opera. Neither one re-directs to https://www.openoffice.org/lt/
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Aivaras
>>
>> 2020-11-12 13:59, Matthias Seidel rašė:
>>> Hi,

>>> With Firefox I used to be able to test redirection by setting the
>>> preferred language for web content.
>>>
>>> Now that only works with some languages (Korean being one)...
>>> My guess is that it is a problem of newer Firefox versions.
>>>
>>> BTW: Redirection is defined here:
>>>
>>> https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/openoffice/ooo-site/trunk/content/msg_prop_l10n.js
>>>

>>> Regards,
>>>
>>>      Matthias

Re: Soft redirect to localized sub-sites

Dave Fisher-3

For me in the US, it.OpenOffice.org redirects to www.OpenOffice.org/it/ as expected whether I use http or https. I’m using an iPhone Safari browser.

This redirection is independent of which CMS is used.

If you have access to a terminal or command line can you do a dns lookup so we can see if one of the Apache servers has become misconfigured?

Regards,
Dave

Sent from my iPhone

Am 12.11.20 um 13:14 schrieb Aivaras Stepukonis:
> Switching the browser UI to German did nothing. I'm still taken to
> openoffice.org.

But do you see a yellow (somehow) box saying that this site is also
available in "Deutsch"?

*This* is soft redirection.

> Regards,
>
> Aivaras
>
> 2020-11-12 14:07, Matthias Seidel rašė:
>> Can you set your preferred language to German or Korean and test the
>> soft redirection?
>> As said, for German it always worked...
>>
>> May be it is a problem of the "hard" redirection.
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>>     Matthias
>>
>> Am 12.11.20 um 13:04 schrieb Aivaras Stepukonis:
>>> I don't think it's an issue with Firefox. I've tested it on Chrome,
>>> Edge, and Opera. Neither one re-directs to
>>> https://www.openoffice.org/lt/
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>>
>>> Aivaras

smime.p7s (5K) Download Attachment

Re: Soft redirect to localized sub-sites

Taavi Kaevats
for me when i open www.openoffice.org/?redirect=soft i can see a note:
"This site is also available in English (en-US). Just click this text
to get redirected."
And clicking on it redirects from www.openoffice.org to
www.openoffice.org on all localized browsers. But then again my locale
is not present on this webpage

> Can you set your preferred language to German or Korean and test the
> soft redirection?
> As said, for German it always worked...
>
> May be it is a problem of the "hard" redirection.
>
> Regards,
>
>    Matthias
>
> Am 12.11.20 um 13:04 schrieb Aivaras Stepukonis:
>> I don't think it's an issue with Firefox. I've tested it on Chrome,
>> Edge, and Opera. Neither one re-directs to https://www.openoffice.org/lt/
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Aivaras
>>
>> 2020-11-12 13:59, Matthias Seidel rašė:
>>> Hi,

>>> With Firefox I used to be able to test redirection by setting the
>>> preferred language for web content.
>>>
>>> Now that only works with some languages (Korean being one)...
>>> My guess is that it is a problem of newer Firefox versions.
>>>
>>> BTW: Redirection is defined here:
>>>
>>> https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/openoffice/ooo-site/trunk/content/msg_prop_l10n.js
>>>

>>> Regards,
>>>
>>>     Matthias

Taavi Kaevats
e-mail: [hidden email]

Re: Soft redirect to localized sub-sites

Matthias Seidel
Hi Dave,

Am 12.11.20 um 13:15 schrieb Dave Fisher:
> Hi,
>
> For me in the US, it.OpenOffice.org redirects to www.OpenOffice.org/it/ as expected whether I use http or https. I’m using an iPhone Safari browser.

Redirection from it.openoffice.org to openoffice.org/it is not what we
are talking about... ;-)

Matthias

> This redirection is independent of which CMS is used.
>
> If you have access to a terminal or command line can you do a dns lookup so we can see if one of the Apache servers has become misconfigured?
>
> Regards,
> Dave
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
>> On Nov 12, 2020, at 4:04 AM, Aivaras Stepukonis <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> I don't think it's an issue with Firefox. I've tested it on Chrome, Edge, and Opera. Neither one re-directs to https://www.openoffice.org/lt/
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Aivaras
>>
>> 2020-11-12 13:59, Matthias Seidel rašė:
>>> Hi,

>>> With Firefox I used to be able to test redirection by setting the
>>> preferred language for web content.
>>>
>>> Now that only works with some languages (Korean being one)...
>>> My guess is that it is a problem of newer Firefox versions.
>>>
>>> BTW: Redirection is defined here:
>>>
>>> https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/openoffice/ooo-site/trunk/content/msg_prop_l10n.js
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>>
>>>    Matthias

smime.p7s (5K) Download Attachment

Re: Soft redirect to localized sub-sites

Aivaras Stepukonis
Yes, for German, no for Lithuanian. But here's the funny bit: For
German, the text in the yellow box is Asian characters.

Regards,

Aivaras

Am 12.11.20 um 13:19 schrieb Taavi Kaevats:
> for me when i open www.openoffice.org/?redirect=soft i can see a note:
> "This site is also available in English (en-US). Just click this text
> to get redirected."
> And clicking on it redirects from www.openoffice.org to
> www.openoffice.org on all localized browsers. But then again my locale
> is not present on this webpage

What is "your" locale?
Do we have a release for that language?

Regards,

   Matthias

Am 12.11.20 um 13:22 schrieb Aivaras Stepukonis:
> Yes, for German, no for Lithuanian. But here's the funny bit: For
> German, the text in the yellow box is Asian characters.

Lithuanian is set to "hard" redirect, we could test if a "soft" redirect
would work?

Matthias

> Regards,
>
> Aivaras
>
> 2020-11-12 14:17, Matthias Seidel rašė:
>> Am 12.11.20 um 13:14 schrieb Aivaras Stepukonis:
>>> Switching the browser UI to German did nothing. I'm still taken to
>>> openoffice.org.
>> But do you see a yellow (somehow) box saying that this site is also
>> available in "Deutsch"?
>>
>> *This* is soft redirection.
>>
>>> Regards,
>>>
>>> Aivaras

smime.p7s (5K) Download Attachment

Re: Soft redirect to localized sub-sites

Taavi Kaevats
I am from Estonia.
I remember some years ago translating the webpage to some extent
through e-mail with you, Matthias, but openoffice.org dropdown
language menu has no Estonian/Eesti included..

> Hi Taavi,
>
> Am 12.11.20 um 13:19 schrieb Taavi Kaevats:
>> for me when i open www.openoffice.org/?redirect=soft i can see a note:
>> "This site is also available in English (en-US). Just click this text
>> to get redirected."
>> And clicking on it redirects from www.openoffice.org to
>> www.openoffice.org on all localized browsers. But then again my locale
>> is not present on this webpage
>
> What is "your" locale?
> Do we have a release for that language?
>
> Regards,
>
>    Matthias

>> <[hidden email]>:
>>> Can you set your preferred language to German or Korean and test the
>>> soft redirection?
>>> As said, for German it always worked...
>>>
>>> May be it is a problem of the "hard" redirection.
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>>
>>>    Matthias

Taavi Kaevats
e-mail: [hidden email]

Re: Soft redirect to localized sub-sites

Dave Fisher-3
I see that now. I’m not at a computer, but I think that redirect=soft should depend on how the user’s browser ACCEPT_LANG is set.

Sent from my iPhone

> On Nov 12, 2020, at 4:21 AM, Matthias Seidel <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi Dave,
>
>> Am 12.11.20 um 13:15 schrieb Dave Fisher:
>> Hi,
>>
>> For me in the US, it.OpenOffice.org redirects to www.OpenOffice.org/it/ as expected whether I use http or https. I’m using an iPhone Safari browser.
>
> Redirection from it.openoffice.org to openoffice.org/it is not what we
> are talking about... ;-)
>
> Matthias
>

>> This redirection is independent of which CMS is used.
>>
>> If you have access to a terminal or command line can you do a dns lookup so we can see if one of the Apache servers has become misconfigured?
>>
>> Regards,
>> Dave
>>
>> Sent from my iPhone

>>> I don't think it's an issue with Firefox. I've tested it on Chrome, Edge, and Opera. Neither one re-directs to https://www.openoffice.org/lt/
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>>
>>> Aivaras

Re: Soft redirect to localized sub-sites

Aivaras Stepukonis
Better soft than none. Though a working hard would be the best (no pun
intended!!!).

Regards,

Aivaras

12