Some suggestions and proposals

azure-3
Hello everyone.
I've tried to use OOo bibliorgaphic functions for almost half of year.
I've read some ideas about how it should be, and the future seems be
great! But it also seems to be the far future :(

My proposals:
- Fields should allow to store formatted text. I don't know how, maybe
some variant of html or OOo native xml-based styling. So, if the article
about the water has name "H20", then I want "2" be in sub. Bold, Italic,
underlined, various font-sizes and other modifiers is unnecessary in my
opinion. All the needed formatting can be done in references index (make
it bold, italic or whatever you want - by assigning the symbol style.
So, the SUMMARY: Biliorgaphy references should allow to store sub and
sup, but all other text formatting in unnecessary.

- Merging of citations. I've read some proposals about merging of
multiple citations, and I haven't understood the problem. I am using the
numbered citations
Ex:
------
C-C bond-length in nanotube is 0.142 nm [1], and slightly depends on
diameter [2].

1. A. Author1, B. Author2, Phys. Rev. B. 68, 012345 (2004)
2. A. Author1, B. Author2, Phys. Rev. Lett. 34, 054321 (2002)
------

It's ok with that situation. But if I want to insert not only one
citations it will look like:
---------
Many authors working on this problem [1][2].

1. C. Author3, D. Author4, Phys. Rev. B. 68, 012374 (2004)
2. E. Author5, F. Author6, Phys. Rev. Lett. 34, 054328 (2002)
--------

But the common standard in scientific literature is to merge citations:
---------
Many authors working on this problem [1, 2].

1. C. Author3, D. Author4, Phys. Rev. B. 68, 012374 (2004)
2. E. Author5, F. Author6, Phys. Rev. Lett. 34, 054328 (2002)
---------

OR
--------
Many authors working on this problem [1-3]

1. C. Author3, D. Author4, Phys. Rev. B. 68, 012374 (2004)
2. E. Author5, F. Author6, Phys. Rev. Lett. 34, 054328 (2002)
3. A. Author1, B. Author2, Phys. Rev. B. 68, 012345 (2004)
--------

So, it needs some mechanisms to show in correct format citations in
document.

-When I try to use MySQL thru ODBC as a biblio db storage backend, there
were some difficulties: It was not able to determine and assign
correctly some fields in table, but table structure was identical to the
default (the structure was copied). I guess there should be some more
clear mechanism of determining the fields meanings.

-I guess field ABSTRACT is needed. Of course, I can use reserved fields
like Custom1, but If I want to create multiuser web-based bibliography
database with ability to search in titles and abstracts, and use it's
records direct from any OOo in institute network - then field ABSTRACT
would be appreciated.

-The GUI for inserting citations is too simple. If database is large
enough, it's very difficult to find needed record. I guess I can propose
more handy GUI for this, but I've never coded it. I can draw it in any
format if someone would implement it in the code :)

I am not C/C++ programmer, but I know PHP and SQL basics, and also know
basic syntax of C. So, If I could help in solving this problems - let me
know HOW?

Re: Some suggestions and proposals

Bruce D'Arcus
On Tue, Sep 16, 2008 at 1:20 PM, azure <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hello everyone.
> I've tried to use OOo bibliorgaphic functions for almost half of year.
> I've read some ideas about how it should be, and the future seems be
> great! But it also seems to be the far future :(

While doing the original full-blown rewrite is certainly so, there are
other changes that are going on that can still achieve something like
the same effect.

First, Sun developers are working on adding an enhanced metadata system to OOo.

Second, the Zotero team continues to work on enhancing OOo
integration, and will soon be releasing a new version of their
plug-in.

I would hope to see if we can get third-party apps like Zotero to
converge on a consistent solution that builds on the new metadata
support in time, and along with that to get the current bibliographic
support removed.

Bruce