Sort Numeric ?

amazing_80s_
I Create a text document and table. 3 columns and rows depending on the information needed.

in the first column I enter a time for an event such as 5:00, 5:30, 6:00, 11:00 and so on. In some cases entered as 5:00 - 6:00 to cover the length of an event not just the time it will occur. The other two columns are for the event name and location so they are text.

The problem I have is when I try to sort numeric by column 1, the times are messed up and not linear or ordered correctly. I turn off auto correct. I check the table, numberformat, and set to text because I don’t want 07:00:00 or 05:00 PM on every entry because it takes up too much space for the type of entry and size of columns.

Some results I get when sorting look like this because I do sometimes have multiple events at the same time that are listed on separate rows,

example 1

5:00     CONCERT               ACC

5:30     TALK                        RYERSON

5:00     CONCERT               ROGERS

5:20     CONVENTION        CNE

6:00

7:45

7:00

AND OTHER LOOK LIKE THIS

example 2

10:00

4:00

11:00

8:00

with no pattern or sense whatsoever, even when I redo the sort as numeric 5 or 6 times in a row to make sure that I am not making a mistake.

OFTEN…. the table will keep reformatting itself when I enter the time as 5:00 and when I tab into the next column will autoformat it to 05:00:00 pm and I have to reformat the whole table and save again to keep it as text. sometimes even closing the document and then opening before the sort function will work as in example 1

When I used to do these list in MS WORD I never encountered any issues so I know there must be a way to do this. I was hoping there was a setting or set of settings I have missed that could configure this the way I was used to.

Thanks for any help you can give because I have looked for hours and can’t find any help to fix this.

Troy Buckner

Re: Sort Numeric ?

Shari Lynn Smith
Hi Troy, it worked for me after I highlighted the "time" column
right-clicked and unchecked "Number Recognition".
I then right-clicked again and selected "Number Format" under the Category
I then selected "Text" and clicked ok. When I sorted the table I made sure
that it said Alphanumeric in the key type.

I ended up with this:
3:00 Concert Where
4:00 Concert Where
5 - 6:00 Concert Where
5:00 Concert Where
6:00 Concert Where
7:00 Concert Where

Hope this helps!
Shari

> The problem I have is when I try to sort numeric by column 1, the times
> are messed up and not linear or ordered correctly.

Re: Sort Numeric ?

Dave Barton-6
Copy to Troy Buckner who is not subscribed to this list.

> Hi Troy, it worked for me after I highlighted the "time" column
> right-clicked and unchecked "Number Recognition".
> I then right-clicked again and selected "Number Format" under the Category
> I then selected "Text" and clicked ok. When I sorted the table I made sure
> that it said Alphanumeric in the key type.
>
> I ended up with this:
> 3:00 Concert Where
> 4:00 Concert Where
> 5 - 6:00 Concert Where
> 5:00 Concert Where
> 6:00 Concert Where
> 7:00 Concert Where
>
> Hope this helps!
> Shari
>

> On Fri, Mar 28, 2014 at 1:19 PM, <[hidden email]> wrote [snipped] :
>
>> The problem I have is when I try to sort numeric by column 1, the times
>> are messed up and not linear or ordered correctly.

Re: Sort Numeric ?

Julian Thomas

Julian Thomas
(from my MacBook)
[hidden email]

On  28  Mar , 2014, at 2:19 PM, <[hidden email]> <[hidden email]> wrote:

> in the first column I enter a time for an event such as 5:00, 5:30, 6:00, 11:00 and so on. In some cases entered as 5:00 - 6:00 to cover the length of an event not just the time it will occur. The other two columns are for the event name and location so they are text.

One suggestion - use 24 hour time.

jt

Re: Sort Numeric ?

Julian Thomas

On 28 Mar 2014, at 14:19, [hidden email] wrote:

> in the first column I enter a time for an event such as 5:00, 5:30, 6:00, 11:00 and so on. In some cases entered as 5:00 - 6:00 to cover the length of an event not just the time it will occur. The other two columns are for the event name and location so they are text.

(If I said this before, sorry for the dupe).  Why not use 24 hour time?  jt