Sorting in Open Office

Previous Topic Next Topic
 
classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
5 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Sorting in Open Office

Robert Peeters
Hello,
I cannot get my Open Office to sort lists for me.  I am trying to alphabetize a list,and have followed all tutorials and google searches to try it. For example, here isthe list I would like to put in alphabetical  order from A to Z:
Is this problem due to the fact that there are several words on each line?


AppleJack & Peel
Vanilla Bean
Cinnamon
 FreshCut Christmas Tree
Smell of Christmas
Christmas Splendor
Sugared Spruce
Hillbilly Mistletoe
Fireside
Vanilla Bean Noel

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Sorting in Open Office

Shari Lynn Smith
Are you using cal or writer?

Shari

On 11/3/2020 5:28 PM, Robert Peeters wrote:

> Hello,
> I cannot get my Open Office to sort lists for me.  I am trying to alphabetize a list,and have followed all tutorials and google searches to try it. For example, here isthe list I would like to put in alphabetical  order from A to Z:
> Is this problem due to the fact that there are several words on each line?
>
>
> AppleJack & Peel
> Vanilla Bean
> Cinnamon
>   FreshCut Christmas Tree
> Smell of Christmas
> Christmas Splendor
> Sugared Spruce
> Hillbilly Mistletoe
> Fireside
> Vanilla Bean Noel
>
>

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Sorting in Open Office

Steven Ahlers
Rob,

Are you using a spreadsheet in Calc? If so have you defined your DATA RANGE?

Your example list will sort fine once you have defined the DATA RANGE.

If you’re not subscribed to the users list you may not see all of the responses to your inquiry. Please DO NOT respond to my email address instead respond to: [hidden email]

Sent from my iPhone

>> On 11/3/2020 5:28 PM, Robert Peeters wrote:
>> Hello,
>> I cannot get my Open Office to sort lists for me.  I am trying to alphabetize a list,and have followed all tutorials and google searches to try it. For example, here isthe list I would like to put in alphabetical  order from A to Z:
>> Is this problem due to the fact that there are several words on each line?
>> AppleJack & Peel
>> Vanilla Bean
>> Cinnamon
>> FreshCut Christmas Tree
>> Smell of Christmas
>> Christmas Splendor
>> Sugared Spruce
>> Hillbilly Mistletoe
>> Fireside
>> Vanilla Bean Noel
>
> ---------------------------------------------------------------------
> To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
> For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]


---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Sorting in Open Office

Robert Peeters
Steve,

Thanks for your reply. Actually, it is just a text page in Open Office Writer.  I am trying to alphabetize my lists
and am having no success doing so.

I AM NOT using a spreadsheet, and I have no idea what a '' Data Range '' is. Here is a photo of my list of items I
am simply  trying to alphabetize from A to Z.

I have tried to highlight the items, go to TOOLS > sort > etc but it has no effect on alphabetizing the list.

Thank you. Rob

">
















 
 >
On Tuesday, November 3, 2020, 08:06:51 PM CST, Steven Ahlers <[hidden email]> wrote:


Rob,

Are you using a spreadsheet in Calc? If so have you defined your DATA RANGE?

Your example list will sort fine once you have defined the DATA RANGE.

If you’re not subscribed to the users list you may not see all of the responses to your inquiry. Please DO NOT respond to my email address instead respond to: [hidden email]

Sent from my iPhone
>> On 11/3/2020 5:28 PM, Robert Peeters wrote:
>> Hello,
>> I cannot get my Open Office to sort lists for me.  I am trying to alphabetize a list,and have followed all tutorials and google searches to try it. For example, here isthe list I would like to put in alphabetical  order from A to Z:
>> Is this problem due to the fact that there are several words on each line?
>> AppleJack & Peel
>> Vanilla Bean
>> Cinnamon
>> FreshCut Christmas Tree
>> Smell of Christmas
>> Christmas Splendor
>> Sugared Spruce
>> Hillbilly Mistletoe
>> Fireside
>> Vanilla Bean Noel
>
> ---------------------------------------------------------------------
> To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
> For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]


---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Sorting in Open Office

Dick Groskamp-4


On 2020/11/04 03:31:37, Robert Peeters <[hidden email]> wrote:
>  Steve,
> Thanks for your reply. Actually, it is just a text page in Open Office Writer.  I am trying to alphabetize my listsand am having no success doing so.
> I AM NOT using a spreadsheet, and I have no idea what a '' Data Range '' is. Here is a photo of my list of items Iam simply  trying to alphabetize from A to Z.
> I have tried to highlight the items, go to TOOLS > sort > etc but it has no effect on alphabetizing the list.
> Thank you. Rob
>
Rob,

select the items in the list you want to sort.

Then Options > Sort

Make sure Rows is selected in the dialog, section Direction.
Other options could stay as they are ( Key 1   Column = 1 and Type key = Alphanumeric)

That sorts your list to:
AppleJack & Peel
Christmas Splendor
Cinnamon
Fireside
FreshCut Christmas Tree
Hillbilly Mistletoe
Smell of Christmas
Sugared Spruce
Vanilla Bean
Vanilla Bean Noel

At least at my setup

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]