Spell checker not working

gerdabrok@bigpond.com
Hi,
Thanks for adding me to your subscribe list.
I have been happily using open office v4.1.7  for about a year without any problems, both on my desktop pc and a laptop, both installed at the same time from the same CD, running win 10 on both and both worked fine.
But for some reason the spell checker on the desktop stopped working a little while ago, All I get is red marks under absolutely every word, when I enable automatic spell checker and nothing at all when it is disabled. The "current selection for spelling" does not work either any longer!
Tried everything possible for a long time!  Deleted and reinstalled from CD, twice and downloaded the newest version of open office from the net. But still with the same negative result.
While on the laptop (not as often in use as the desktop) it is working fine.
Tried researching of the problem for a long time, but can't find the reason.

Please help,
With thanks
Gerda

Re: Spell checker not working

Rory O'Farrell
On Tue, 7 Jul 2020 00:56:04 +1000 (AUS Eastern Standard Time)
"[hidden email]" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
> Thanks for adding me to your subscribe list.
>
> I have been happily using open office v4.1.7  for about a year without any
> problems, both on my desktop pc and a laptop, both installed at the same
> time from the same CD, running win 10 on both and both worked fine.
> But for some reason the spell checker on the desktop stopped working a
> little while ago, All I get is red marks under absolutely every word, when I
> enable automatic spell checker and nothing at all when it is disabled. The
> current selection for spelling" does not work either any longer!
> Tried everything possible for a long time!  Deleted and reinstalled from CD,
> twice and downloaded the newest version of open office from the net. But
> still with the same negative result.
> While on the laptop (not as often in use as the desktop) it is working fine.
> Tried researching of the problem for a long time, but can't find the reason.
>
> Please help,
> With thanks
> Gerda

Start by renaming your OpenOffice user profile.

If you are using Windows close OpenOffice and the Quickstarter. Open File
Explorer. Copy and paste %appdata%\OpenOffice\4 in the File Explorer (sometimes called Windows Explorer)
Address Bar and press Enter. Rename the "user" folder - "user.old" is a
good choice. Start OpenOffice.

This cures most spellcheck problems.

Loss of spellchecker can occur when the computer has been powered off too swiftly, before the internal housekeeping has been written to disk. After you have closed OpenOffice, use the formal computer power-off procedure to shut the computer down, then wait a few seconds (ten will probably be enough) to allow the internal buffers in the hard disk be flushed to the platters, before pulling the power plug or closing the laptop lid.
--
Rory O'Farrell <[hidden email]>