Status of translations in Pottle

Maciej Jaros-2
Hi.

I've seen that Mechtilde did a lot of work preparing the translations :-).

But I've noticed something weird. There are quite a lot of translations
that are marked as "Needs work". For example this one:
https://translate.apache.org/pl/aoo40/translate/officecfg/registry/data/org/openoffice/Office/UI.po#unit=15560678

As seems I already changed it's state from "Needs work" to "Translated"
5 years ago (or at least timeline says so)... So I'm wondering if this
is a bug or a feature? :-) I mean maybe changing it back to "Needs work"
was intentional? Maybe there were some complaints about this translation
I should consider or something like that (should I look in bugzilla or
something)? Or maybe this is not intentional and there's a bug either in
timeline in Pootle or the current state in Pootle?

Regards,
Nux/Maciej.

Re: Status of translations in Pottle

Keith N. McKenna
On 12/8/2018 6:55 PM, Maciej Jaros wrote:

> Hi.
>
> I've seen that Mechtilde did a lot of work preparing the translations
> :-).
>
> But I've noticed something weird. There are quite a lot of
> translations that are marked as "Needs work". For example this one:
> https://translate.apache.org/pl/aoo40/translate/officecfg/registry/data/org/openoffice/Office/UI.po#unit=15560678
>

> As seems I already changed it's state from "Needs work" to
> "Translated" 5 years ago (or at least timeline says so)... So I'm
> wondering if this is a bug or a feature? :-) I mean maybe changing it
> back to "Needs work" was intentional? Maybe there were some complaints
> about this translation I should consider or something like that
> (should I look in bugzilla or something)? Or maybe this is not
> intentional and there's a bug either in timeline in Pootle or the
> current state in Pootle?
>
> Regards,
> Nux/Maciej.

Maciej;

Pootle had not been refreshed from the code in quite some time. As a
result Pootle no longer reflected any particular version of the
software. The thrust of the work Mechtilde did was to get the two back
in sync. Ongoing development may well have changed some strings, moved
some around and even introduced new ones. It is not unexpected that
those type of changes would happen. Probably the driving force behind
getting this done early was to give translators time to thoroughly check
the translations.

Regards
Keith

Re: Status of translations in Pottle

Maciej Jaros-2
Keith N. McKenna (2018-12-09 02:52):

> Maciej;
>
> Pootle had not been refreshed from the code in quite some time. As a
> result Pootle no longer reflected any particular version of the
> software. The thrust of the work Mechtilde did was to get the two back
> in sync. Ongoing development may well have changed some strings, moved
> some around and even introduced new ones. It is not unexpected that
> those type of changes would happen. Probably the driving force behind
> getting this done early was to give translators time to thoroughly
> check the translations.

I was kind of hopping it was just a glitch :-). Thanks for the info.

Cheers,
M.