Strange behavior of Spellcheck

Patricia Shanahan
On my Windows 10 machine, Spellcheck defaults to en-US spelling,
regardless of the language of the installation. I have tested this with
both fr and en-GB. (French and the two variants of English are the only
languages I know well enough to test.) For each document, I have to
specify the language before it will spellcheck correctly.

It is specific to spellcheck. The menu items are correct for the
installation language.

Re: Strange behavior of Spellcheck

Andrea Pescetti-2
Patricia Shanahan wrote:
> On my Windows 10 machine, Spellcheck defaults to en-US spelling,
> regardless of the language of the installation. I have tested this with
> both fr and en-GB. (French and the two variants of English are the only
> languages I know well enough to test.) For each document, I have to
> specify the language before it will spellcheck correctly.

So, spellcheck aside, the default language for text in the document
(this is an attribute at a character level, Format - Character) is set
to en-US.

I don't think this depends on the OpenOffice UI language, but rather on
your profile settings.

Under Options - Languages you can set the default language for your
future documents (separate from the UI language). If this is respected,
then I don't see an issue here.

In my case, it is set to Italian and everything works correctly.

Regards,
   Andrea.

On 10/14/2017 2:24 PM, Andrea Pescetti wrote:

> Patricia Shanahan wrote:
>> On my Windows 10 machine, Spellcheck defaults to en-US spelling,
>> regardless of the language of the installation. I have tested this with
>> both fr and en-GB. (French and the two variants of English are the only
>> languages I know well enough to test.) For each document, I have to
>> specify the language before it will spellcheck correctly.
>
> So, spellcheck aside, the default language for text in the document
> (this is an attribute at a character level, Format - Character) is set
> to en-US.
>
> I don't think this depends on the OpenOffice UI language, but rather on
> your profile settings.
>
> Under Options - Languages you can set the default language for your
> future documents (separate from the UI language). If this is respected,
> then I don't see an issue here.

OK, I can manually set it through Options - Languages. It still seems
strange to me that the default language for documents is independent of
the installed language.

> In my case, it is set to Italian and everything works correctly.
>
> Regards,
>    Andrea.

Re: Strange behavior of Spellcheck

Raphael Bircher-3
Hi Patricia

Am .10.2017, 23:42 Uhr, schrieb Patricia Shanahan <[hidden email]>:

> On 10/14/2017 2:24 PM, Andrea Pescetti wrote:
>> Patricia Shanahan wrote:
>>> On my Windows 10 machine, Spellcheck defaults to en-US spelling,
>>> regardless of the language of the installation. I have tested this with
>>> both fr and en-GB. (French and the two variants of English are the only
>>> languages I know well enough to test.) For each document, I have to
>>> specify the language before it will spellcheck correctly.
>>  So, spellcheck aside, the default language for text in the document
>> (this is an attribute at a character level, Format - Character) is set
>> to en-US.
>>  I don't think this depends on the OpenOffice UI language, but rather
>> on your profile settings.
>>  Under Options - Languages you can set the default language for your
>> future documents (separate from the UI language). If this is respected,
>> then I don't see an issue here.
>
> OK, I can manually set it through Options - Languages. It still seems
> strange to me that the default language for documents is independent of
> the installed language.
No that's not strange. You maybe want to have a Document in French, but
you don't want to switch the UI. A common case if you work in different
languages. Normally OpenOffice takes over the language settings from the
OS. But something is wrong there. I didn't find out what.

Regards Raphael