Struggling to Understand Official OpenOffice Guide

Struggling to Understand Official OpenOffice Guide

Jordan Wright
To Whom It May Concern,

I was needing some assistance with understanding the computer language present in the guide for recovering damaged OpenOffice files from the official guide that is accessible through the link below:

https://www.openoffice.org/documentation/HOW_TO/misc/Troubleshooting_guide.html#8.Recovering%20content%20from%20a%20damaged%20OpenOffice.org%20file%20|outline

What I am struggling to understand is what step 6 is referring to when it talks about “contents.xml” and how I may go about retrieving it.  Also, am I correct to assume that the “directory” in Step 2 can be as simple as creating a folder on a desktop? Overall, a lot of the computer lingo in the guide are terms I am not familiar with.

Overall, I would like to request being walked through the guide if it is possible and convenient enough to do so. I have already tried perusing the Help Forum and it doesn’t appear there is any clarification there on either issues.

Best,
Jordan Wright

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Re: Struggling to Understand Official OpenOffice Guide

jonathon-3
On 02/22/2018 10:49 PM, Jordan Wright wrote:

>guide for recovering damaged OpenOffice files from the official guide

Do you have an _undamaged_ copy of the file?
Either something in /user/backups/ or, preferably, something that was
either ">save as "filename.datestamp",
or copied to another medium, from where you saved the file?

> What I am struggling to understand is what step 6 is referring to when it talks about “contents.xml” and how I may go about retrieving it.

An odt file is a zip archive, that contains around half a dozen files.
contents.xml is the file that contains the content - the stuff that was
written.

> Also, am I correct to assume that the “directory” in Step 2 can be as simple as creating a folder on a desktop?

Yes.

jonathon

Re: Struggling to Understand Official OpenOffice Guide

David Robley
On 02/23/2018 09:19 AM, Jordan Wright wrote:

> To Whom It May Concern,
>
> I was needing some assistance with understanding the computer language present in the guide for recovering damaged OpenOffice files from the official guide that is accessible through the link below:
>
> https://www.openoffice.org/documentation/HOW_TO/misc/Troubleshooting_guide.html#8.Recovering%20content%20from%20a%20damaged%20OpenOffice.org%20file%20|outline
>
> What I am struggling to understand is what step 6 is referring to when it talks about “contents.xml” and how I may go about retrieving it.  Also, am I correct to assume that the “directory” in Step 2 can be as simple as creating a folder on a desktop? Overall, a lot of the computer lingo in the guide are terms I am not familiar with.
>
> Overall, I would like to request being walked through the guide if it is possible and convenient enough to do so. I have already tried perusing the Help Forum and it doesn’t appear there is any clarification there on either issues.
>
> Best,
> Jordan Wright
>
> Sent from Mail for Windows 10

If you are getting an error like

"Format error discovered in the file in sub-document content.xml at
position 2,155278(row,col)."

you may find
https://forum.openoffice.org/en/forum/viewtopic.php?f=71&t=87180 a
useful resource; a step by step guide with pictures.

If you are still not confident to undertake the repair yourself, you
could upload your document(s) to a file sharing service such as
Mediafire and post the link here; or you may prefer to register on the
AOO forum and seek help there.

Cheers
--
David Robley

Re: Struggling to Understand Official OpenOffice Guide

Martin Groenescheij

On 23/02/18 9:49 AM, Jordan Wright wrote:
> To Whom It May Concern,
>
> I was needing some assistance with understanding the computer language present in the guide for recovering damaged OpenOffice files from the official guide that is accessible through the link below:

Well I assume you have the qualifications as mentioned in the
Troubleshooting_guide:

  * The steps outlined assume the user has some basic technical skills.

> https://www.openoffice.org/documentation/HOW_TO/misc/Troubleshooting_guide.html#8.Recovering%20content%20from%20a%20damaged%20OpenOffice.org%20file%20|outline
>
> What I am struggling to understand is what step 6 is referring to when it talks about “contents.xml” and how I may go about retrieving it.

If you are at Step 6 I assume you remember what you have done at Step 3

  * Replace the contents.xml file in the directory created in Step 5
    with the contents.xml from the damaged file unpacked in Step 3.

Well you should look in the directory you have created in Step where the
unzipped files are as explained in Step 3

>    Also, am I correct to assume that the “directory” in Step 2 can be as simple as creating a folder on a desktop?

This terminology is part of the basic technical skills you need to have
before you start.
With a simple search on Google you find this web page
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Directory>.

>   Overall, a lot of the computer lingo in the guide are terms I am not familiar with.
>
> Overall, I would like to request being walked through the guide if it is possible and convenient enough to do so. I have already tried perusing the Help Forum and it doesn’t appear there is any clarification there on either issues.
>
> Best,
> Jordan Wright
>
> Sent from Mail for Windows 10

RE: Struggling to Understand Official OpenOffice Guide

Jordan Wright
Hey all,

Thanks for the assistance. I made the discovery that the .odt file that I was working with, sadly, is completely toast. Essentially, I was using 7-Zip to unzip it but was getting an error back saying “This is not an Index”. I was confused by this because I’ve always thought of .odt/.doc files as single files and not as .zip archives. I performed the same function on a working .odt file and had all of the various contents of the file appear (including the content.xml).

Overall though, thanks for the help to those who helped. All of the replies helped me single down my issue, considering that even in my “basic technical skills” I’ve always been taught that .odt/.doc files were single files and not .zip archives.

~Jordan

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Re: Struggling to Understand Official OpenOffice Guide

zahra a
hello.
i also learned that odt file is zip archive not one file!
i read about docx before and did not know about odt file!
also, i recommend to backup your safe and working files to prevent
damage and corruption in the future.
because anytime that you incounter problem using your file, you can
easily restore them from previous backup.
or use previous version of your file in properties, security.

By God,
were I given all the seven heavens
with all they contain
in order that