Suggested words in spell-checking

Agnes SOUQUE
Hi all,

I am wondering how the words suggested by the spell-checker are chosen
to correct a misspelled one. How does it work after a word has been
detected as misspelled ? Does it have something to do with the edit
distance (Levenshtein) ?
Thanks for your help
Regards

Agnès

--
Agnès SOUQUE
[hidden email]

Re: Suggested words in spell-checking

प्रज्वल श्रेष्ठ
yes along with the edit distance it also uses some replacement rules that is
present in the *.aff file that starts with TRY and REP key words. you can
read more about it from the hunspell project manuals at :
http://sourceforge.net/docman/display_doc.php?docid=29374&group_id=143754
hope it will answer your questions.
with regards
prajol shrestha

On Jan 23, 2008 3:22 PM, Agnes SOUQUE <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I am wondering how the words suggested by the spell-checker are chosen
> to correct a misspelled one. How does it work after a word has been
> detected as misspelled ? Does it have something to do with the edit
> distance (Levenshtein) ?
> Thanks for your help
> Regards
>
> Agnès
>

> --
> Agnès SOUQUE
> [hidden email]
> http://agnes.souque.free.fr

Re: Suggested words in spell-checking

Kevin B. Hendricks
Hi,

In addition when it can't find a good suggestion using the edit distance
rule, it attempts an ngram search (scoring words based on the length of
identical substrings between two words) to try to handle cases with edit
distance of 2 or more.

Details can be found in the hunspell code (or in older spellcheckers like
MySpell).

Kevin

>From: "prajol shrestha" <[hidden email]>
>To: [hidden email]
>Subject: Re: [lingu-dev] Suggested words in spell-checking
>Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2008 15:32:22 +0100
>
>yes along with the edit distance it also uses some replacement rules that
>is
>present in the *.aff file that starts with TRY and REP key words. you can
>read more about it from the hunspell project manuals at :
>http://sourceforge.net/docman/display_doc.php?docid=29374&group_id=143754
>hope it will answer your questions.
>with regards
>prajol shrestha
>
>On Jan 23, 2008 3:22 PM, Agnes SOUQUE <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I am wondering how the words suggested by the spell-checker are chosen
> > to correct a misspelled one. How does it work after a word has been
> > detected as misspelled ? Does it have something to do with the edit
> > distance (Levenshtein) ?
> > Thanks for your help
> > Regards
> >
> > Agnès
> >

> > --
> > Agnès SOUQUE
> > [hidden email]
> > http://agnes.souque.free.fr

Re: Suggested words in spell-checking

Agnes SOUQUE
Ok, I see. Thanks a lot for your quick replies and the link
Regards

Agnès

Le 23 janv. 08 à 15:40, Kevin Hendricks a écrit :

> Hi,
>
> In addition when it can't find a good suggestion using the edit
> distance rule, it attempts an ngram search (scoring words based on
> the length of identical substrings between two words) to try to
> handle cases with edit distance of 2 or more.
>
> Details can be found in the hunspell code (or in older spellcheckers
> like MySpell).
>
> Kevin
>

>> From: "prajol shrestha" <[hidden email]>
>> To: [hidden email]
>> Subject: Re: [lingu-dev] Suggested words in spell-checking
>> Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2008 15:32:22 +0100
>>
>> yes along with the edit distance it also uses some replacement
>> rules that is
>> present in the *.aff file that starts with TRY and REP key words.
>> you can
>> read more about it from the hunspell project manuals at :
>> http://sourceforge.net/docman/display_doc.php?docid=29374&group_id=143754
>> hope it will answer your questions.
>> with regards
>> prajol shrestha
>>
>> On Jan 23, 2008 3:22 PM, Agnes SOUQUE <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> > Hi all,
>> >
>> > I am wondering how the words suggested by the spell-checker are
>> chosen
>> > to correct a misspelled one. How does it work after a word has been
>> > detected as misspelled ? Does it have something to do with the edit
>> > distance (Levenshtein) ?
>> > Thanks for your help
>> > Regards
>> >
>> > Agnès