Suggestion (FW to correct person if your not it)

Suggestion (FW to correct person if your not it)

Nick Blanchet
Hi,

Love open office.

I hope that you are the right person for this, if not please direct me to the right person. I could not find a suggestion site to deposit this so....

When you use OO text spell check:
It would be great to just switch the order in which the suggestions come in. If you make it so that the best suggestion comes first when you right click then all people have to do is right-click -- enter-- to fill in the correct word.

Small thing but could save me a lot of time as I am a terrible speller.

Thanks for listening,
Nick

Re: Suggestion (FW to correct person if your not it)

thomas.lange

Hi Nick,

Nick Blanchet wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Love open office.
>
> I hope that you are the right person for this, if not please direct me to the right person. I could not find a suggestion site to deposit this so....
>
> When you use OO text spell check:
> It would be great to just switch the order in which the suggestions come in. If you make it so that the best suggestion comes first when you right click then all people have to do is right-click -- enter-- to fill in the correct word.
>
> Small thing but could save me a lot of time as I am a terrible speller.

That's an understandable wish, and I'd really love something like that.

But unfortunately that one is a wish of the kind
tell-me-what-is-on-my-mind. And machines or programmed algorithms are
bad with such things. I'm sure the spell checker does have good reason
for the order it places the words in. Probably some algorithm that tries
to measure how close those words are to the original but wrong one.

No spell checker can simply tell you what word is the correct one, it
can only provide you with a list of words that are not misspelled and
(in some sense) close to the misspelled one.
For example different means that could be applied are:
- common known typos
- the number of characters to change to obtain the new word
- would it sound similar if spoken?

And the spell checker does not even know the sentence the word is in. It
just gets to see a single word and just by that it has to decide if it
is correct or not, and to provide suggestions in the latter case.

Simple example if you type 'xight' the spell checker could provide ypou
with the following alternatives:
  right
  tight
  sight
  light
  might
How should it know which of those is to use?

Regards,
Thomas