Suggestion

JD

Suggestion

JD
Hi Folks At Apache,

Appreciate your efforts greatly! It just keeps getting better all the time.

A fabulous addition to your programs would be a mail client. How I would
welcome that. One that has an auto correct built in.

Again thanks for all you do.

Kindest regards,

John Diehl

Re: Suggestion

Marcus (OOo)
Am 26.01.19 um 20:55 schrieb JD:
> Appreciate your efforts greatly! It just keeps getting better all the time.
>
> A fabulous addition to your programs would be a mail client. How I would
> welcome that. One that has an auto correct built in.

OpenOffice had already a mail client (OK; to be more correct, it was
StarOffice many years ago). It had a news client, Internet browser and
schedular on board. Even an own desktop was included. However, it wasn't
successfull. The people have used other programs that were better suited
for that and the desktop wasn't well understood.

Today there are already good and well-established programs like Outlook
and Thunderbird - just to name the most popular ones.

Therefore I don't think it would make sense to spend a lot of time to
invent all of this from scratch just to have an own mail program in
OpenOffice.

My 2ct.

Marcus

JD

Re: Suggestion

JD
Hi Marcus,

One facet of all this has changed. In keeping with perpetual greed MS
has copied the cash cow concept adopted by adobe - you don't get the
program you rent it thus insuring they get your money.

I loaded outlook and and because I think they are pushing the online
stuff suddenly my copy no longer functions how about that?

Thunderbird is pretty barren, and seems to frequently do stuff I don't
care for examples do not come to mind as this is written....  but the $$
angle with MS is the dominant item. Customer needs to be milked.

Can't express my loathing for that enough.

Thanks for your comments. Perhaps as MS tightens the wire a new or
improved client may be in order.

Kind regards,

John Diehl

On 1/26/2019 3:49 PM, Marcus wrote:

> Am 26.01.19 um 20:55 schrieb JD:
>> Appreciate your efforts greatly! It just keeps getting better all the
>> time.
>>
>> A fabulous addition to your programs would be a mail client. How I
>> would welcome that. One that has an auto correct built in.
>
> OpenOffice had already a mail client (OK; to be more correct, it was
> StarOffice many years ago). It had a news client, Internet browser and
> schedular on board. Even an own desktop was included. However, it
> wasn't successfull. The people have used other programs that were
> better suited for that and the desktop wasn't well understood.
>
> Today there are already good and well-established programs like
> Outlook and Thunderbird - just to name the most popular ones.
>
> Therefore I don't think it would make sense to spend a lot of time to
> invent all of this from scratch just to have an own mail program in
> OpenOffice.
>
> My 2ct.
>
> Marcus

Re: Suggestion

Peter Kovacs-3
Hi John,

I am open for an OpenOffice Email Client.

As Markus writes OpenOffice Project would need to start from the
scratch. Maybe reaching out to Thunderbird, Evolution or another email
Project will provide faster results, and is the more efficient approach?
(As Markus suggests)

However if you are determined for an OpenOffice Email client I say you
have to go into the lead. We should do things right and start writing up
all features we need/want.

I suggest we use the user story method. This is a successful design
method and requires only user skill and in our case Wiki tool knowledge.

I think the request for a OpenOffice Mail Client has been placed
repeatedly over time. Maybe if someone starts making first steps in this
direction others step up to support this.

I do not think the work done is lost, even if it does not sky rocket
right away.

To be clear: This is a more year effort. It is nothing to be done just
like that.

Do you accept the Challenge and start writing user stories for an E-Mail
Client in OpenOffice?

I help you getting started.

BTW I found this:

https://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Marketing-Material-ReplaceOutlook

All the best

Peter

On 27.01.19 06:26, JD wrote:

> Hi Marcus,
>
> One facet of all this has changed. In keeping with perpetual greed MS
> has copied the cash cow concept adopted by adobe - you don't get the
> program you rent it thus insuring they get your money.
>
> I loaded outlook and and because I think they are pushing the online
> stuff suddenly my copy no longer functions how about that?
>
> Thunderbird is pretty barren, and seems to frequently do stuff I don't
> care for examples do not come to mind as this is written....  but the
> $$ angle with MS is the dominant item. Customer needs to be milked.
>
> Can't express my loathing for that enough.
>
> Thanks for your comments. Perhaps as MS tightens the wire a new or
> improved client may be in order.
>
> Kind regards,
>
> John Diehl
>
> On 1/26/2019 3:49 PM, Marcus wrote:
>> Am 26.01.19 um 20:55 schrieb JD:
>>> Appreciate your efforts greatly! It just keeps getting better all
>>> the time.
>>>
>>> A fabulous addition to your programs would be a mail client. How I
>>> would welcome that. One that has an auto correct built in.
>>
>> OpenOffice had already a mail client (OK; to be more correct, it was
>> StarOffice many years ago). It had a news client, Internet browser
>> and schedular on board. Even an own desktop was included. However, it
>> wasn't successfull. The people have used other programs that were
>> better suited for that and the desktop wasn't well understood.
>>
>> Today there are already good and well-established programs like
>> Outlook and Thunderbird - just to name the most popular ones.
>>
>> Therefore I don't think it would make sense to spend a lot of time to
>> invent all of this from scratch just to have an own mail program in
>> OpenOffice.
>>
>> My 2ct.
>>
>> Marcus

Re: Suggestion

Andrea Pescetti-2
Peter Kovacs wrote:
> I think the request for a OpenOffice Mail Client has been placed
> repeatedly over time.

Yes, but it is due to a misleading analogy with what Microsoft does (or
used to do) by incorporating a mail client into their Office suite.

The main mission of OpenOffice focuses on office productivity, and I
think we are still good at that. The code is very monolithic and an
external solution (Thunderbird being a natural choice) is more or less
the only option that makes sense.

> To be clear: This is a more year effort.

E-mail has moved to the cloud much faster than office productivity.
Honestly, if we ever were to announce that OpenOffice would start
actions for including a mail client in the (not immediate) future, this
would be irrelevant to most people even among our own users.

In short, I think adding an e-mail client never made sense, and that
this was irrelevant even when it was actually in the suite (not named
OpenOffice yet), but it is even more irrelevant now.

If someone is going to join to help with creating an e-mail module, it
would be better to put those energies to better use.

Regards,
   Andrea.

Re: Suggestion

Patricia Shanahan
On 1/27/2019 3:25 PM, Andrea Pescetti wrote:
> In short, I think adding an e-mail client never made sense, and that
> this was irrelevant even when it was actually in the suite (not named
> OpenOffice yet), but it is even more irrelevant now.

I used StarOffice when it had a mail client, never used its mail, and
did not see any of my colleagues using it.

There may be a case for an Outlook-replacement mail and scheduling
client. If so, I think it would be better as an independent project,
free to pick its programming language, libraries etc.

---
https://www.avg.com

Re: Suggestion

Peter Kovacs-3
I think OpenOffice is about developer freedom to do what he wants to do.
If a someone shows up and wants to do an email client, then let him.

Even if the project spins off into its own realm because there are only
little things that both benefit from.

I do not believe any harm is done by that.

I do not have to believe in the client in order to support this. I just
have to be curious where other OpenOffice modules could benefit from
features an email client would bring.

And then is the trick to do this right. I have already some ideas.

BTW, we use a lot of dynamic libraries. This is a clear hint that
OpenOffice is not monolithic. Just the Architecture is not understood,
or wrong designed / used.

A monolithic build would only consist of static linked libraries.
(According to the book Clean Architecture)

All the best

Peter