Suggestion

Piet Fox
Firstly, I want to say that I love OpenOffice and it is the only program I
use for all my Word, Excel and Powerpoint documents.
As I am Afrikaans speaking, I'm often using Special Characters such as "ê"
and "ë".
It is really an effort for me to go to the Special Characters tab every
time and insert the Special Character that I need.
In MS Word there is a shortcut to insert these Characters while typing. The
shortcut is "ctrl" and "shift" and "Special Character" together and after
releasing the keys you can type the "e" and it would insert the Special
Character automatically.
Can you please add this shortcut to your wonderful program.

Regards/Groete,

*Piet Fox *(Dip.Electr.Eng.; Mem.SAIEE)

Cell.: +264 81 169 6340

[hidden email]

Fox Lighting CC

P O Box 2483

225, Nangolo Mbumba Street

Walvis Bay

Re: Suggestion

jonathon-3
On 2020/06/18 05:27, Piet Fox wrote:
> In MS Word there is a shortcut to insert these Characters while typing. The
> shortcut is "ctrl" and "shift" and "Special Character" together and after
> releasing the keys you can type the "e" and it would insert the Special
> Character automatically.
> Can you please add this shortcut to your wonderful program.

Autocorrect.
I don't know if it is/was publicly distributed, but there was an
Afrikaans autocorrect that had a number of Afrikaans words, written
without the diacritic marks, that would automatically correct
themselves. Possibly the most usefully was the " n " that was
automatically replaced by " ʼn ".

Along those lines, I also saw a proposal for South African place names
to be added. Type in the old name, and it replaced it with the new name,
and in parenthesis had "formerly place-name". I don't know if that
proposal was ever implemented.

Nando's #RightMyName has yet to make it to Apache OpenOffice.

jonathon

Re: Suggestion

Martin Groenescheij

On 18/06/2020 07:27, Piet Fox wrote:

> Firstly, I want to say that I love OpenOffice and it is the only program I
> use for all my Word, Excel and Powerpoint documents.
> As I am Afrikaans speaking, I'm often using Special Characters such as "ê"
> and "ë".
> It is really an effort for me to go to the Special Characters tab every
> time and insert the Special Character that I need.
> In MS Word there is a shortcut to insert these Characters while typing. The
> shortcut is "ctrl" and "shift" and "Special Character" together and after
> releasing the keys you can type the "e" and it would insert the Special
> Character automatically.

Much simpler to add these yourself in the Replace tab of the AutoCorrect
table
e.g. enter e^ forê or e: for ë

> Can you please add this shortcut to your wonderful program.
>
> Regards/Groete,
>
> *Piet Fox *(Dip.Electr.Eng.; Mem.SAIEE)
>
> Cell.: +264 81 169 6340
>
> [hidden email]