TOC Hyperlinking isn't working

bburridg@gmail.com
I have followed the steps from the OOffice help, by placing the LS and the
LE before and after the Entry, but I do not get a hyperlink to the entry in
the document. Is there something else that needs to be done to make this
work?

Brian

Re: TOC Hyperlinking isn't working

G. Roderick Singleton-2
On Tue, 2005-11-15 at 15:01 -0500, Brian Burridge wrote:
> I have followed the steps from the OOffice help, by placing the LS and the
> LE before and after the Entry, but I do not get a hyperlink to the entry in
> the document. Is there something else that needs to be done to make this
> work?
>
> Brian

Can't tell from your description. So I will ask some questions:
     1. Did you click the all button?
     2. Did you ensure that your headings are included?
--
PLEASE KEEP MESSAGES ON THE LIST.
OpenOffice.org Documentation Co-Lead

Re: TOC Hyperlinking isn't working

Brian Burridge
Here is what I did:

1. Right clicked on TOC and chose Edit Index/Table
2. Selected Level 1
3. Clicked in the White block before the "E" and then clicked on Hyperlink.
An "LS" block was inserted.
4. Clicked in the White block after the "E" and then clicked on Hyperlink.
An "LE" block was inserted.

I did not do ALL. I am fine with just linking level 1 entries right now.
Not sure what you mean by having my headings included.

Brian

On 11/15/05, G. Roderick Singleton <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Tue, 2005-11-15 at 15:01 -0500, Brian Burridge wrote:
> > I have followed the steps from the OOffice help, by placing the LS and
> the
> > LE before and after the Entry, but I do not get a hyperlink to the entry
> in
> > the document. Is there something else that needs to be done to make this
> > work?
> >
> > Brian
>
> Can't tell from your description. So I will ask some questions:
> 1. Did you click the all button?
> 2. Did you ensure that your headings are included?
> --
> PLEASE KEEP MESSAGES ON THE LIST.
> OpenOffice.org Documentation Co-Lead
> http://documentation.openoffice.org/

Re: TOC Hyperlinking isn't working

G. Roderick Singleton-2
Try clicking all so you get all the level 1 one headings.

On Tue, 2005-11-15 at 17:58 -0500, Brian Burridge wrote:

> Here is what I did:
>
> 1. Right clicked on TOC and chose Edit Index/Table
> 2. Selected Level 1
> 3. Clicked in the White block before the "E" and then clicked on Hyperlink.
> An "LS" block was inserted.
> 4. Clicked in the White block after the "E" and then clicked on Hyperlink.
> An "LE" block was inserted.
>
> I did not do ALL. I am fine with just linking level 1 entries right now.
> Not sure what you mean by having my headings included.
>
> Brian
>
> On 11/15/05, G. Roderick Singleton <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > On Tue, 2005-11-15 at 15:01 -0500, Brian Burridge wrote:
> > > I have followed the steps from the OOffice help, by placing the LS and
> > the
> > > LE before and after the Entry, but I do not get a hyperlink to the entry
> > in
> > > the document. Is there something else that needs to be done to make this
> > > work?
> > >
> > > Brian
> >
> > Can't tell from your description. So I will ask some questions:
> > 1. Did you click the all button?
> > 2. Did you ensure that your headings are included?
> > --
> > PLEASE KEEP MESSAGES ON THE LIST.
> > OpenOffice.org Documentation Co-Lead
> > http://documentation.openoffice.org/

PLEASE KEEP MESSAGES ON THE LIST.
OpenOffice.org Documentation Co-Lead
http://documentation.openoffice.org/

Re: TOC Hyperlinking isn't working

Robert Stemp
Brian,
    I had this same problem. I resolved it by using styles instead of
Insert/Indexes and Tables/Entry. You can determine which one you need to
use, or set the type of style by right clicking on your table of
contents, selecting Edit Index/Table, going to the Index/Table tab
selecting the ellipse (...) after the 'Outline' check box and viewing
the Numbering tab. You can set the styles you want and at what levels,
this allows for a more automatic inserting of entries, or if you go to
additional styles on the Edit dialog box, you can add more styles for
the TOC to recognize and set which level of the TOC they are at.
    Robert

Brian Burridge wrote:

>I have followed the steps from the OOffice help, by placing the LS and the
>LE before and after the Entry, but I do not get a hyperlink to the entry in
>the document. Is there something else that needs to be done to make this
>work?
>
>Brian

Re: TOC Hyperlinking isn't working

Brian Burridge
I tried clicking all. It did nothing.

Brian

On 11/15/05, G. Roderick Singleton <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Try clicking all so you get all the level 1 one headings.
>
> On Tue, 2005-11-15 at 17:58 -0500, Brian Burridge wrote:
> > Here is what I did:
> >
> > 1. Right clicked on TOC and chose Edit Index/Table
> > 2. Selected Level 1
> > 3. Clicked in the White block before the "E" and then clicked on
> Hyperlink.
> > An "LS" block was inserted.
> > 4. Clicked in the White block after the "E" and then clicked on
> Hyperlink.
> > An "LE" block was inserted.
> >
> > I did not do ALL. I am fine with just linking level 1 entries right now.
> > Not sure what you mean by having my headings included.
> >
> > Brian

> and
> > > the
> entry
> > > in
> this

> > > Can't tell from your description. So I will ask some questions:
> > > 1. Did you click the all button?
> > > 2. Did you ensure that your headings are included?
> > > --
> > > PLEASE KEEP MESSAGES ON THE LIST.
> > > OpenOffice.org Documentation Co-Lead
> > > http://documentation.openoffice.org/

> PLEASE KEEP MESSAGES ON THE LIST.
> OpenOffice.org Documentation Co-Lead
> http://documentation.openoffice.org/

Re: TOC Hyperlinking isn't working

Brian Burridge
Does anyone have a sample document they could email me, that has a working
linked TOC that I could look at?

Pick any .odt from http://documentation.openoffice.org/

> On 11/15/05, G. Roderick Singleton <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > Try clicking all so you get all the level 1 one headings.
> >
> > On Tue, 2005-11-15 at 17:58 -0500, Brian Burridge wrote:
> > > Here is what I did:
> > >
> > > 1. Right clicked on TOC and chose Edit Index/Table
> > > 2. Selected Level 1
> > > 3. Clicked in the White block before the "E" and then clicked on
> > Hyperlink.
> > > An "LS" block was inserted.
> > > 4. Clicked in the White block after the "E" and then clicked on
> > Hyperlink.
> > > An "LE" block was inserted.
> > >
> > > I did not do ALL. I am fine with just linking level 1 entries right now.
> > > Not sure what you mean by having my headings included.
> > >
> > > Brian

> > and
> > entry
> > this

> > --
> > PLEASE KEEP MESSAGES ON THE LIST.
> > OpenOffice.org Documentation Co-Lead
> > http://documentation.openoffice.org/

PLEASE KEEP MESSAGES ON THE LIST.
OpenOffice.org Documentation Co-Lead
http://documentation.openoffice.org/

Re: TOC Hyperlinking isn't working

Brian Burridge
I looked at an example and I see nothing in them different from what I'm
doing.

Here are my exact steps, which when I follow them do not result in linked
TOC entries:

1. Launch OpenOffice Writer
2. Click Insert -> Indexes and Tables -> Indexes and Tables
3. Click on the Entries tab
4. Click in the white box before the E# and click hyperlink
5. Click in the white box after the E and click hyperlink
6. Click all
7. Click OK
8. [now back on the document, space down below the TOC]
9. Type in the text 'Chapter 1'
10. Select the text 'Chapter 1'
11. Click Insert -> Indexes and Tables -> Entry
12. Click insert
13. Click close
14. Right click on TOC in document, and choose Update Index Table

After doing these steps my TOC now shows an entry for 'Chapter 1', but has
no hyperlink to it.

Brian

On 11/16/05, G. Roderick Singleton <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Wed, 2005-11-16 at 12:12 -0500, Brian Burridge wrote:
> > Does anyone have a sample document they could email me, that has a
> working
> > linked TOC that I could look at?
> >
> > Brian
>
> Pick any .odt from http://documentation.openoffice.org/
>

> > On 11/15/05, G. Roderick Singleton <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > >
> > > Try clicking all so you get all the level 1 one headings.

> > > Hyperlink.
> > > Hyperlink.

> now.

> LS
> > > and
> the
> > > entry
> make
> > > this

> > > --
> > > PLEASE KEEP MESSAGES ON THE LIST.
> > > OpenOffice.org Documentation Co-Lead
> > > http://documentation.openoffice.org/

> PLEASE KEEP MESSAGES ON THE LIST.
> OpenOffice.org Documentation Co-Lead
> http://documentation.openoffice.org/

Re: TOC Hyperlinking isn't working

Adam Stein
I tried adding hyperlinks to an already existing TOC (didn't know you
could do that until I saw this thread).  I have it working using swriter
2.0 on a RH9 Linux system:

1) Open my document with an already existing TOC
2) Right click on the TOC and select Edit Index/Table
3) Click on Entries tab
4) Click in the white box before the E# and click Hyperlink button
5) Click in the white box after the E and click Hyperlink button
6) Click OK

I didn't see an "all" button.  This only affects level 1 headers.  I
suppose I would have to repeat the Hyperlink clicking for any other
level.  That's really the only difference between what I did and what I
see below.  The only other note was that to add new items to my TOC, I
changed the paragraph format to be Heading1, Heading2, ... and then ran
Tools->Update->Update All to update the TOC to see the new entries.

Adam Stein @ Xerox Corporation       Email: [hidden email]

Disclaimer: Any/All views expressed
here have been proved to be my own.  [http://www.csh.rit.edu/~adam/]