TOO MANY CRASHES, I GIVE UP AFTER MANY YEARS OF SATIFACTION I'M GOING BACK TO EXCEL

TOO MANY CRASHES, I GIVE UP AFTER MANY YEARS OF SATIFACTION I'M GOING BACK TO EXCEL

pat mcnamara

Re: TOO MANY CRASHES, I GIVE UP AFTER MANY YEARS OF SATIFACTION I'M GOING BACK TO EXCEL

Howard Blum
It's likely a Windows issue and not an OO issue.

--
Howard Blum
Pro Mobile Notary
415-898-4130
http://pro-mobile-notary.com

Re: TOO MANY CRASHES, I GIVE UP AFTER MANY YEARS OF SATIFACTION I'M GOING BACK TO EXCEL

Wade Smart-2
Why cant this list block non-registered users?

--
Registered Linux User: #480675
Registered Linux Machine: #408606

On Wed, Nov 7, 2018 at 2:51 PM pat mcnamara

Re: List subscription (was: TOO MANY CRASHES, ...)

Brian Barker-2
At 15:03 07/11/2018 -0600, Wade Smart wrote:
>Why can't this list block non-registered users?

I'm sure it can, but I trust it won't. If the list is to provide a
first level of support for beginning users, it is unfair and
counterproductive to require them to go through the hoops of
subscribing, confirming their subscription, and presumably
unsubscribing later. In addition, the list would be swamped with
confused replies to other people's enquiries that such users wrongly
assume had been addressed to them individually!

Let's continue to make life easy for those who ask for help, at the
expense of a little more care necessary from those offering help.

Brian Barker

Re: List subscription (was: TOO MANY CRASHES, ...)

M Henri Day
Den fre 9 nov. 2018 kl 20:48 skrev Brian Barker
<[hidden email]>:

> At 15:03 07/11/2018 -0600, Wade Smart wrote:
> >Why can't this list block non-registered users?
>
> I'm sure it can, but I trust it won't. If the list is to provide a
> first level of support for beginning users, it is unfair and
> counterproductive to require them to go through the hoops of
> subscribing, confirming their subscription, and presumably
> unsubscribing later. In addition, the list would be swamped with
> confused replies to other people's enquiries that such users wrongly
> assume had been addressed to them individually!
>
> Let's continue to make life easy for those who ask for help, at the
> expense of a little more care necessary from those offering help.
>
> Brian Barker

+1 to Brian....

Henri

Re: List subscription

Hagar Delest-2
Le 10/11/2018 à 19:32, M Henri Day a écrit :

> Den fre 9 nov. 2018 kl 20:48 skrev Brian Barker
> <[hidden email]>:
>
>> At 15:03 07/11/2018 -0600, Wade Smart wrote:
>>> Why can't this list block non-registered users?
>> I'm sure it can, but I trust it won't. If the list is to provide a
>> first level of support for beginning users, it is unfair and
>> counterproductive to require them to go through the hoops of
>> subscribing, confirming their subscription, and presumably
>> unsubscribing later. In addition, the list would be swamped with
>> confused replies to other people's enquiries that such users wrongly
>> assume had been addressed to them individually!
>>
>> Let's continue to make life easy for those who ask for help, at the
>> expense of a little more care necessary from those offering help.
>>
>> Brian Barker
>
> +1 to Brian....
>
> Henri
+1.
Add a filter to your mail client so that it tags the mail containing the string "Delivered-To: moderator" in the header (without quotes).

Hagar

Re: List subscription

David Belina-2

 I agree with wade

> On Nov 10, 2018 at 1:30 PM,  <Hagar Delest (mailto:[hidden email])>  wrote:
>

>  Le 10/11/2018 à 19:32, M Henri Day a écrit :
> >  Den fre 9 nov. 2018 kl 20:48 skrev Brian Barker
> >   <[hidden email]>:

> >>  I'm sure it can, but I trust it won't. If the list is to provide a
> >>  first level of support for beginning users, it is unfair and
> >>  counterproductive to require them to go through the hoops of
> >>  subscribing, confirming their subscription, and presumably
> >>  unsubscribing later. In addition, the list would be swamped with
> >>  confused replies to other people's enquiries that such users wrongly
> >>  assume had been addressed to them individually!
> >>
> >>  Let's continue to make life easy for those who ask for help, at the
> >>  expense of a little more care necessary from those offering help.
> >>
> >>  Brian Barker
> >
> >  +1 to Brian....
> >
> >  Henri
> +1.
> Add a filter to your mail client so that it tags the mail containing the string "Delivered-To: moderator" in the header (without quotes).
>
> Hagar

Re: List subscription

David Belina-2
Sorry, I meant Brian Barker i.e. no blocking!

On November 10, 2018 at 3:03:59 PM, Dbelina ([hidden email]) wrote:

I agree with wade

> On Nov 10, 2018 at 1:30 PM, <Hagar Delest (mailto:[hidden email])> wrote:
>

> Le 10/11/2018 à 19:32, M Henri Day a écrit :
> > Den fre 9 nov. 2018 kl 20:48 skrev Brian Barker
> > <[hidden email]>:

> >> I'm sure it can, but I trust it won't. If the list is to provide a
> >> first level of support for beginning users, it is unfair and
> >> counterproductive to require them to go through the hoops of
> >> subscribing, confirming their subscription, and presumably
> >> unsubscribing later. In addition, the list would be swamped with
> >> confused replies to other people's enquiries that such users wrongly
> >> assume had been addressed to them individually!
> >>
> >> Let's continue to make life easy for those who ask for help, at the
> >> expense of a little more care necessary from those offering help.
> >>
> >> Brian Barker
> >
> > +1 to Brian....
> >
> > Henri
> +1.
> Add a filter to your mail client so that it tags the mail containing the string "Delivered-To: moderator" in the header (without quotes).
>
> Hagar

Re: List subscription

Dave AOO
On 10.11.2018 20:30, Hagar Delest wrote:
> Add a filter to your mail client so that it tags the mail containing the
> string "Delivered-To: moderator" in the header (without quotes).
>
> Hagar

In the days of the OOo users mailing list this filter worked, plus the
OOo list management software had the facility to add [MODERATED] to the
subject line, making it very easy to identify and/or filter
non-subscribed posts.

The filter no longer works for clients such as Thunderbird, because they
only detect the first "Delivered-To:" header tag and the ezmlm software
used by AOO places the "Delivered-To: moderator" tag 3rd. or 4th. in the
list:

For unspecified reasons some members of the PMC have repeatedly resisted
my proposal for a small change in ezmlm software to reinstate the
[MODERATED] flag in the subject line.

Dave

0xC0020A60BF9E4F37.asc (3K) Download Attachment

Re: List subscription

Wade Smart-2
Did this a long long time ago.
That wasnt my point.

--

On Sat, Nov 10, 2018 at 2:30 PM Hagar Delest <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Le 10/11/2018 à 19:32, M Henri Day a écrit :
> > Den fre 9 nov. 2018 kl 20:48 skrev Brian Barker
> > <[hidden email]>:

> >> I'm sure it can, but I trust it won't. If the list is to provide a
> >> first level of support for beginning users, it is unfair and
> >> counterproductive to require them to go through the hoops of
> >> subscribing, confirming their subscription, and presumably
> >> unsubscribing later. In addition, the list would be swamped with
> >> confused replies to other people's enquiries that such users wrongly
> >> assume had been addressed to them individually!
> >>
> >> Let's continue to make life easy for those who ask for help, at the
> >> expense of a little more care necessary from those offering help.
> >>
> >> Brian Barker
> >
> > +1 to Brian....
> >
> > Henri
> +1.
> Add a filter to your mail client so that it tags the mail containing the string "Delivered-To: moderator" in the header (without quotes).
>
> Hagar

Re: List subscription

Hagar Delest-2
Le 11/11/2018 à 07:15, Dave AOO a écrit :

> On 10.11.2018 20:30, Hagar Delest wrote:
>> Add a filter to your mail client so that it tags the mail containing the
>> string "Delivered-To: moderator" in the header (without quotes).
>>
>> Hagar
> In the days of the OOo users mailing list this filter worked, plus the
> OOo list management software had the facility to add [MODERATED] to the
> subject line, making it very easy to identify and/or filter
> non-subscribed posts.
>
> The filter no longer works for clients such as Thunderbird, because they
> only detect the first "Delivered-To:" header tag and the ezmlm software
> used by AOO places the "Delivered-To: moderator" tag 3rd. or 4th. in the
> list:

> For unspecified reasons some members of the PMC have repeatedly resisted
> my proposal for a small change in ezmlm software to reinstate the
> [MODERATED] flag in the subject line.
>
> Dave
I use TB 60.2.1 (64 bits) on Xubuntu and the filter does work (version from the distro).

Hagar

Re: List subscription

Andrea Pescetti-2
Dave AOO wrote:
> some members of the PMC have repeatedly resisted
> my proposal for a small change in ezmlm software to reinstate the
> [MODERATED] flag in the subject line.

Can you name (some of) them? Offlist is fine too, if you prefer.

I think the main issue is whether ezmlm supports the feature or not. If
it does (i.e., your "change" above is a configuration change), I don't
see big issues. If the "change" you mention is, instead, a code change
requiring to run a custom version of ezmlm, I think Infra won't allow us
to do it due to the obvious maintenance burden that comes with
custom-built software.

Regards,
   Andrea.