TREND/GROWTH in ODF

Regina Henschel
Hi all,

in the current implementation some functions are common to TREND/GROWTH
and LINEST/LOGEST. So working on LINEST I had a look at TREND too. And I
have found some problems.

The definition of TREND in ODF1.2 (6.18.79) allows only "NumberSequence"
as parameters and constrains the column, row and overall count of knownY
to be equal to knownX. So that definition does not cover multiple linear
regression but only simple linear regression. On the outher hand,
because of the rules for conversion to NumberSequence (6.3.7), also
cells without numbers may be includes in the ranges and will not be
considered for the NumberSequence.

GNUMERIC calculates as described in ODF: Only simple linear regression,
but allow text cells in the range.
EXCEL calculates as Calc: Allow multiple regression, but disallow text
cells.

So what to do?

Kind regards
Regina

Re: TREND/GROWTH in ODF

Regina Henschel
Hi all,

it seems the problem is solved in the way, that ODF will be changed. See
http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/office/201009/msg00356.html
and
http://tools.oasis-open.org/issues/browse/OFFICE-3437

Kind regards