Tabs

James Wheeler
Good evening.
I have a document that I’m trying to set the tabs in ten specific locations. I set them with the mouse, then double click the ruler, paragraph, tabs, centered, then ok.  On the left side under position, it shows the ten tab placement measurements. When I go back to the document, the tabs appear, then when in a different location within the document, the generic tabs show back up again. The tabs come and go. How can I get the tabs to stay in place permanently in this document?  It’s extremely frustrating.

Thanks,
Jim

Re: Tabs

Brian Barker-2
At 21:46 26/11/2019 -0500, James Wheeler wrote:
>I have a document that I'm trying to set the tabs in ten specific
>locations. I set them with the mouse, then double click the ruler,
>paragraph, tabs, centered, then ok. On the left side under position,
>it shows the ten tab placement measurements. When I go back to the
>document, the tabs appear, then when in a different location within
>the document, the generic tabs show back up again. The tabs come and
>go. How can I get the tabs to stay in place permanently in this
>document? It's extremely frustrating.

It's generally useful if tabs "come and go", since it can well be
useful to have different tab settings for different parts of a document.

Tab settings are a property of both paragraph and paragraph style
formatting. If you set tabs using the mouse with no text selected,
you are applying local paragraph formatting to the paragraph
currently containing the insertion point. Your choice will not apply
to any other paragraphs unless you use the Format Paintbrush to copy
the arrangement or you start a new paragraph by pressing Enter within
or at the end of your tabbed paragraph, in which case paragraph
formatting is inherited.

Two ideas:

o If you want your tab settings to apply to all of your text, simply
select all that text (Edit | Select All or Ctrl+A) before setting the tabs.

o If you want your tab settings to apply to all text with a
particular paragraph style (which may happen to be all of your text,
of course), use right-click | Edit Paragraph Style... and make the
tab settings there. You could copy the Position values from the
Paragraph dialogue.

I trust this helps.

Brian Barker