Taiwan/Hong Kong /Macao are listed wrong on OO official page

Taiwan/Hong Kong /Macao are listed wrong on OO official page

Biao
Dear sirs:
I found that on page https://www.openoffice.org/stats/countries.html, Taiwan is listed as a country but it’s actually a province of China. Similar problems are found on Hong Kong(a city of China) and Macao. Hope you can fix those problems. Thank you!
An apache fan.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Re: Taiwan/Hong Kong /Macao are listed wrong on OO official page

Daniel DeFoe
Not by the standards applied by the USA Government. They consider Taiwan as
a separate Country. This is due to the General that fled from
mainland China during the time of Mao's Cultural Revolution and they wanted
to keep their lives, as Mao and his forces were generally killing anyone
who did not agree with the collective political communist party rules. So
Taiwan is recognized separately by the USA Government as an independent
country, regardless what the communist party in China thinks. Others still
think differently.  There for the problem is a political one, that has not
yet been resolved on the international stage. Many hope that China will be
kind and gentle in their resolution of this, and since they now have such a
powerful economy and it has been shown that communism is a failure to the
population as a whole, it will be done in a peaceful respectful way. Not
like many of the oppressive policies that have been documented over the
years for the neighbors of China like Nepal, and the fact that it's
rightful leader and religious person has had to live in exile for decades
now.  These are examples of why USA still recognize Taiwan as a Country.

On 20 May 2018 at 07:56, Biao <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Dear sirs:
> I found that on page https://www.openoffice.org/stats/countries.html,
> Taiwan is listed as a country but it’s actually a province of China.
> Similar problems are found on Hong Kong(a city of China) and Macao. Hope
> you can fix those problems. Thank you!
> An apache fan.
>
> Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Re: Taiwan/Hong Kong /Macao are listed wrong on OO official page

Acchajob
It's not Nepal, you probably wanted to talk about Tibet.

On Sun 20 May, 2018, 13:33 Daniel DeFoe, <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Not by the standards applied by the USA Government. They consider Taiwan as
> a separate Country. This is due to the General that fled from
> mainland China during the time of Mao's Cultural Revolution and they wanted
> to keep their lives, as Mao and his forces were generally killing anyone
> who did not agree with the collective political communist party rules. So
> Taiwan is recognized separately by the USA Government as an independent
> country, regardless what the communist party in China thinks. Others still
> think differently.  There for the problem is a political one, that has not
> yet been resolved on the international stage. Many hope that China will be
> kind and gentle in their resolution of this, and since they now have such a
> powerful economy and it has been shown that communism is a failure to the
> population as a whole, it will be done in a peaceful respectful way. Not
> like many of the oppressive policies that have been documented over the
> years for the neighbors of China like Nepal, and the fact that it's
> rightful leader and religious person has had to live in exile for decades
> now.  These are examples of why USA still recognize Taiwan as a Country.
>
> On 20 May 2018 at 07:56, Biao <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Dear sirs:
> > I found that on page https://www.openoffice.org/stats/countries.html,
> > Taiwan is listed as a country but it’s actually a province of China.
> > Similar problems are found on Hong Kong(a city of China) and Macao. Hope
> > you can fix those problems. Thank you!
> > An apache fan.
> >
> > Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Re: Taiwan/Hong Kong /Macao are listed wrong on OO official page

Daniel DeFoe
I stand corrected, but got the wrong name in my head. Thank you.

On 20 May 2018 at 11:22, Acchajob <[hidden email]> wrote:

> It's not Nepal, you probably wanted to talk about Tibet.
>
> On Sun 20 May, 2018, 13:33 Daniel DeFoe, <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> > Not by the standards applied by the USA Government. They consider Taiwan
> as
> > a separate Country. This is due to the General that fled from
> > mainland China during the time of Mao's Cultural Revolution and they
> wanted
> > to keep their lives, as Mao and his forces were generally killing anyone
> > who did not agree with the collective political communist party rules. So
> > Taiwan is recognized separately by the USA Government as an independent
> > country, regardless what the communist party in China thinks. Others
> still
> > think differently.  There for the problem is a political one, that has
> not
> > yet been resolved on the international stage. Many hope that China will
> be
> > kind and gentle in their resolution of this, and since they now have
> such a
> > powerful economy and it has been shown that communism is a failure to the
> > population as a whole, it will be done in a peaceful respectful way. Not
> > like many of the oppressive policies that have been documented over the
> > years for the neighbors of China like Nepal, and the fact that it's
> > rightful leader and religious person has had to live in exile for decades
> > now.  These are examples of why USA still recognize Taiwan as a Country.
> >
> > On 20 May 2018 at 07:56, Biao <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > > Dear sirs:
> > > I found that on page https://www.openoffice.org/stats/countries.html,
> > > Taiwan is listed as a country but it’s actually a province of China.
> > > Similar problems are found on Hong Kong(a city of China) and Macao.
> Hope
> > > you can fix those problems. Thank you!
> > > An apache fan.
> > >
> > > Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Re: Taiwan/Hong Kong /Macao are listed wrong on OO official page

Dave Fisher
Hi -

This list is by ISO code and does not necessarily include only countries. Examples include: Antarctica, Metropolitan France, Anonymous Proxy, and Satellite Provider.

For Chinese we offer both traditional and simplified which I believe are used in Taiwan and “Mainland China” respectively. There is a community of OpenOffice users in Taiwan that is distinct from China. We aren’t making changes or engaging in politics we are supporting what exists.

Additionally these statistics come from our download provider.

Regards,
Dave

Sent from my iPhone

> On May 20, 2018, at 2:43 AM, Daniel DeFoe <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I stand corrected, but got the wrong name in my head. Thank you.
>
>> On 20 May 2018 at 11:22, Acchajob <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> It's not Nepal, you probably wanted to talk about Tibet.
>>
>> On Sun 20 May, 2018, 13:33 Daniel DeFoe, <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Not by the standards applied by the USA Government. They consider Taiwan
>> as
>>> a separate Country. This is due to the General that fled from
>>> mainland China during the time of Mao's Cultural Revolution and they
>> wanted
>>> to keep their lives, as Mao and his forces were generally killing anyone
>>> who did not agree with the collective political communist party rules. So
>>> Taiwan is recognized separately by the USA Government as an independent
>>> country, regardless what the communist party in China thinks. Others
>> still
>>> think differently.  There for the problem is a political one, that has
>> not
>>> yet been resolved on the international stage. Many hope that China will
>> be
>>> kind and gentle in their resolution of this, and since they now have
>> such a
>>> powerful economy and it has been shown that communism is a failure to the
>>> population as a whole, it will be done in a peaceful respectful way. Not
>>> like many of the oppressive policies that have been documented over the
>>> years for the neighbors of China like Nepal, and the fact that it's
>>> rightful leader and religious person has had to live in exile for decades
>>> now.  These are examples of why USA still recognize Taiwan as a Country.

>> Hope

Re: Taiwan/Hong Kong /Macao are listed wrong on OO official page

Andrea Pescetti-2
Dave Fisher wrote:
> This list is by ISO code and does not necessarily include only countries. Examples include: Antarctica, Metropolitan France, Anonymous Proxy, and Satellite Provider. ...
> Additionally these statistics come from our download provider.

All correct, and let me add: it is enough to click on the word "country"
in https://www.openoffice.org/stats/countries.html to get the full
explanation (i.e., we rely on TLDs) so I think this is already clear
enough. So to say, we are listing "Internet countries".

Regards,
   Andrea.

Re: Taiwan/Hong Kong /Macao are listed wrong on OO official page

Brian Barker-2
At 10:20 20/05/2018 -0700, Dave Fisher wrote:
>This list is by ISO code and does not necessarily include only countries.

Exactly: so the problem is caused by both the file name of the
relevant web page and its text including the word "country", which
can be politically sensitive. It could (and should?) be solved by
using a word such as "region" instead.

Brian Barker

At 21:25 20/05/2018 +0200, Andrea Pescetti wrote:
>... (i.e., we rely on TLDs) so I think this is already clear enough.
>So to say, we are listing "Internet countries".

So how are generic top-level domains - such as .com, .org, and .net -
included? They are neither countries nor "internet countries". Are
all such downloads - which may be anywhere in the world - mislabelled
as "United States"?

Brian Barker

Brian Barker wrote:
> the problem is caused by both the file name of the relevant
> web page and its text including the word "country", which can be
> politically sensitive. It could (and should?) be solved by using a word
> such as "region" instead.

I've updated the page to use "country/territory" as we do elsewhere. See
https://www.openoffice.org/stats/countries.html (we won't of course
change the file name).

As for your other question (how are .com counted): as explained on the
page, we rely on data as they are made available to us. If one wants to
know more, the only way is to ask the (External) API maintainers to
improve their documentation. Link in the page.

Regards,
   Andrea.

Re: Taiwan/Hong Kong /Macao are listed wrong on OO official page

Martin Groenescheij

Sent from my mobile device.

> On 20 May 2018, at 3:56 pm, Biao <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Dear sirs:
> I found that on page https://www.openoffice.org/stats/countries.html, Taiwan is listed as a country but it’s actually a province of China. Similar problems are found on Hong Kong(a city of China) and Macao. Hope you can fix those problems.

For me this isn’t a problem, so no need to fix.
There are other issues that have a higher priority.
I’m more interested in a stable system than get the borders right, which will
change at each election by the way.