Telephone Number Formatting

WA.TWORSX via AOL-2

I have a Calc file that presently has telephone numbersexisting within a
column. They were previously imported from a source that used the
following format: 800 555 1234, and some cells are blank.

How can I reformat the column and all existing numbers within the column
to be in the form: (800) 555-1234?

Be well; stay safe.

VinceB.

Re: Telephone Number Formatting

David Belina-2
I think this YouTube may answer most of your question:
youtube.com/watch?v=QzmAq-x2KM0

On May 30, 2020 at 9:41:34 AM, WA.TWORSX via AOL ([hidden email]) wrote:

I have a Calc file that presently has telephone numbersexisting within a
column. They were previously imported from a source that used the
following format: 800 555 1234, and some cells are blank.

How can I reformat the column and all existing numbers within the column
to be in the form: (800) 555-1234?

Be well; stay safe.

VinceB.

Re: Telephone Number Formatting

Brian Barker-2
At 11:41 30/05/2020 -0400, Vince Bonly wrote:
>I have a Calc file that presently has telephone numbers existing
>within a column. They were previously imported from a source that
>used the following format: 800 555 1234, and some cells are blank.
>How can I reformat the column and all existing numbers within the
>column to be in the form: (800) 555-1234?

Let's say your values are in column A, starting in row 1.
o In row 1 of a spare column, enter:
=IF(A1="";"";"("&LEFT(A1;3)&")"&MID(A1;4;4)&"-"&RIGHT(A1;4))
o Fill that formula down the new column.
o If desired, select the new column, copy (or cut) it, and paste it
back over the original data - but using Paste Special... (or
Ctrl+Shift+V) instead of normal Paste and ensuring that Formulae is
not ticked in the Paste Special dialogue.

I trust this helps.

Brian Barker