Templates Site "Access Denied"

Simon Phipps-3
Hi all,

There have been a large number of reports on the Users mailing list of
people getting Access Denied messages when they attempt to access any of
the templates at http://templates.openoffice.org/ or
http://templates.services.openoffice.org/. This situation has been
previously reported here several times so I'm surfacing it as a clear
top-level thread.

I have been able to reproduce the error simply by visiting the site and
clicking on the name of any template, using an incognito Chrome window on
ChromeOS to ensure there are no statefulness issues.

I've no access to the site so can't investigate further. Can someone with
admin rights investigate please?

Best regards,

Simon

Re: Templates Site "Access Denied"

Marcus (OOo)
Am 22.02.2017 um 23:47 schrieb Simon Phipps:

> There have been a large number of reports on the Users mailing list of
> people getting Access Denied messages when they attempt to access any of
> the templates at http://templates.openoffice.org/ or
> http://templates.services.openoffice.org/. This situation has been
> previously reported here several times so I'm surfacing it as a clear
> top-level thread.
>
> I have been able to reproduce the error simply by visiting the site and
> clicking on the name of any template, using an incognito Chrome window on
> ChromeOS to ensure there are no statefulness issues.
>
> I've no access to the site so can't investigate further. Can someone with
> admin rights investigate please?

as you know for sure we also have no access to any webpages that are
hosted by Sourceforge. So, we cannot do anything here.

I don't know if somebody ping'ed already Sourceforge about this problem.
But I'll do it here again.

@Dave:
Please can you take over this topic? I was able to see the same "access
denied" error message by simply clicking the first link to a template
[1] after opening the template webpage [2].

Thanks in advance for your help.

[1] http://templates.openoffice.org
[2] http://templates.openoffice.org/en/node/8382

Marcus

Re: Templates Site "Access Denied"

Gavin McDonald

> On 23 Feb 2017, at 10:05 am, Marcus <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Am 22.02.2017 um 23:47 schrieb Simon Phipps:
>> There have been a large number of reports on the Users mailing list of
>> people getting Access Denied messages when they attempt to access any of
>> the templates at http://templates.openoffice.org/ or
>> http://templates.services.openoffice.org/. This situation has been
>> previously reported here several times so I'm surfacing it as a clear
>> top-level thread.
>>
>> I have been able to reproduce the error simply by visiting the site and
>> clicking on the name of any template, using an incognito Chrome window on
>> ChromeOS to ensure there are no statefulness issues.
>>
>> I've no access to the site so can't investigate further. Can someone with
>> admin rights investigate please?
>
> as you know for sure we also have no access to any webpages that are hosted by Sourceforge. So, we cannot do anything here.
>
> I don't know if somebody ping'ed already Sourceforge about this problem. But I'll do it here again.
>
> @Dave:
> Please can you take over this topic? I was able to see the same "access denied" error message by simply clicking the first link to a template [1] after opening the template webpage [2].
>
> Thanks in advance for your help.
>
> [1] http://templates.openoffice.org
> [2] http://templates.openoffice.org/en/node/8382 <http://templates.openoffice.org/en/node/8382>

Other templates seem accessible so it isn’t all of them:-

http://templates.openoffice.org/en/template/web-based-medical-course-training <http://templates.openoffice.org/en/template/web-based-medical-course-training>

Gav…

> Marcus

Re: Templates Site "Access Denied"

Marcus (OOo)
Dave, do you have some feedback for us? It seems to be a very severe issue.

Thanks

Marcus

Am 23.02.2017 um 00:05 schrieb Marcus:

> Am 22.02.2017 um 23:47 schrieb Simon Phipps:
>> There have been a large number of reports on the Users mailing list of
>> people getting Access Denied messages when they attempt to access any of
>> the templates at http://templates.openoffice.org/ or
>> http://templates.services.openoffice.org/. This situation has been
>> previously reported here several times so I'm surfacing it as a clear
>> top-level thread.
>>
>> I have been able to reproduce the error simply by visiting the site and
>> clicking on the name of any template, using an incognito Chrome window on
>> ChromeOS to ensure there are no statefulness issues.
>>
>> I've no access to the site so can't investigate further. Can someone with
>> admin rights investigate please?
>
> as you know for sure we also have no access to any webpages that are
> hosted by Sourceforge. So, we cannot do anything here.
>
> I don't know if somebody ping'ed already Sourceforge about this problem.
> But I'll do it here again.
>
> @Dave:
> Please can you take over this topic? I was able to see the same "access
> denied" error message by simply clicking the first link to a template
> [1] after opening the template webpage [2].
>
> Thanks in advance for your help.
>
> [1] http://templates.openoffice.org
> [2] http://templates.openoffice.org/en/node/8382
>
> Marcus

Re: Templates Site "Access Denied"

Dave Brondsema
From the looks of it, this is probably a Drupal permission issue.  I can check
for any clues in the error logs tomorrow, in case its some issue with the
hosting config.

Who is an admin of the site?  Can they log in and access those pages?

Last time I looked around the Templates site, I do recall seeing some of these
as well as spam.  If I had to guess, it's junk content in the site, or the
template was simply removed.  What pages link to them?  Maybe they're just stale
links?

-Dave

On 3/2/17 2:55 PM, Marcus wrote:

> Dave, do you have some feedback for us? It seems to be a very severe issue.
>
> Thanks
>
> Marcus
>

> Am 23.02.2017 um 00:05 schrieb Marcus:
>> Am 22.02.2017 um 23:47 schrieb Simon Phipps:
>>> There have been a large number of reports on the Users mailing list of
>>> people getting Access Denied messages when they attempt to access any of
>>> the templates at http://templates.openoffice.org/ or
>>> http://templates.services.openoffice.org/. This situation has been
>>> previously reported here several times so I'm surfacing it as a clear
>>> top-level thread.
>>>
>>> I have been able to reproduce the error simply by visiting the site and
>>> clicking on the name of any template, using an incognito Chrome window on
>>> ChromeOS to ensure there are no statefulness issues.
>>>
>>> I've no access to the site so can't investigate further. Can someone with
>>> admin rights investigate please?
>>
>> as you know for sure we also have no access to any webpages that are
>> hosted by Sourceforge. So, we cannot do anything here.
>>
>> I don't know if somebody ping'ed already Sourceforge about this problem.
>> But I'll do it here again.
>>
>> @Dave:
>> Please can you take over this topic? I was able to see the same "access
>> denied" error message by simply clicking the first link to a template
>> [1] after opening the template webpage [2].
>>
>> Thanks in advance for your help.
>>
>> [1] http://templates.openoffice.org
>> [2] http://templates.openoffice.org/en/node/8382
>>
>> Marcus

Dave Brondsema : [hidden email]
http://www.brondsema.net : personal
http://www.splike.com : programming
              <><

Re: Templates Site "Access Denied"

Dave Brondsema
A few bits I missed addressing on my prior email:

I can't reproduce it like that.  The example link errors out, but all the
templates I find just browsing around work.

>>> as you know for sure we also have no access to any webpages that are
>>> hosted by Sourceforge. So, we cannot do anything here.
>>>
>>> I don't know if somebody ping'ed already Sourceforge about this problem.
>>> But I'll do it here again.

This community should have access and should be able to maintain the site.
SourceForge users "aooadmin" and "ipv6guru" are admins of the
https://sourceforge.net/projects/aoo-templates/ project which corresponds to the
templates.openoffice.org site.  Others can be added (ideally by those 2 users,
so we at SourceForge don't have verify identities).  Documentation for web
hosting is at
https://sourceforge.net/p/forge/documentation/Project%20Web%20Services/ and I
believe should work fine for the templates site, although we have made a few
specific customizations compared to regular SourceForge project web hosting.
Same goes for aoo-extensions.

Am 03.03.2017 um 00:43 schrieb Dave Brondsema:

> A few bits I missed addressing on my prior email:

> I can't reproduce it like that.  The example link errors out, but all the
> templates I find just browsing around work.

> This community should have access and should be able to maintain the site.
> SourceForge users "aooadmin" and "ipv6guru" are admins of the
> https://sourceforge.net/projects/aoo-templates/ project which corresponds to the
> templates.openoffice.org site.  Others can be added (ideally by those 2 users,
> so we at SourceForge don't have verify identities).  Documentation for web
> hosting is at
> https://sourceforge.net/p/forge/documentation/Project%20Web%20Services/ and I
> believe should work fine for the templates site, although we have made a few
> specific customizations compared to regular SourceForge project web hosting.
> Same goes for aoo-extensions.

OK, but I've no idea what to do to check and fix such erros? I think we
still need some help in this case.

Thanks

Marcus

Re: Templates Site "Access Denied"

Roberto Galoppini-2

> Am 03.03.2017 um 00:43 schrieb Dave Brondsema:
>
>> A few bits I missed addressing on my prior email:
>>
>> I have been able to reproduce the error simply by visiting the site and
>>>>>>

>> I can't reproduce it like that.  The example link errors out, but all the
>> templates I find just browsing around work.
>>
>> I've no access to the site so can't investigate further. Can someone with

>> This community should have access and should be able to maintain the site.
>> SourceForge users "aooadmin" and "ipv6guru" are admins of the
>> https://sourceforge.net/projects/aoo-templates/ project which
>> corresponds to the
>> templates.openoffice.org site.  Others can be added (ideally by those 2
>> users,
>> so we at SourceForge don't have verify identities).  Documentation for web
>> hosting is at
>> https://sourceforge.net/p/forge/documentation/Project%20Web%20Services/
>> and I
>> believe should work fine for the templates site, although we have made a
>> few
>> specific customizations compared to regular SourceForge project web
>> hosting.
>> Same goes for aoo-extensions.
>>

> OK, but I've no idea what to do to check and fix such erros? I think we
> still need some help in this case.

Dave as you know in past we got that stuff done by a contractor, as you
probably remember it's a Drupal application and the community seems to lack
the necessary expertise.
If you have access to internal skilled resources it would be great if
SourceForge could provide help with that, as you can see we're kind of
stuck atm.

Thanks,

Roberto

On 3/5/17 4:38 AM, Roberto Galoppini wrote:

> <mailto:[hidden email]>>:
>
>     Am 03.03.2017 <tel:03.03.2017> um 00:43 schrieb Dave Brondsema:
>
>         A few bits I missed addressing on my prior email:
>
>                         I have been able to reproduce the error simply by
>                         visiting the site and
>                         clicking on the name of any template, using an incognito
>                         Chrome window on
>                         ChromeOS to ensure there are no statefulness issues.
>

>         I can't reproduce it like that.  The example link errors out, but all the
>         templates I find just browsing around work.
>
>                         I've no access to the site so can't investigate further.
>                         Can someone with
>                         admin rights investigate please?
>

>                     as you know for sure we also have no access to any webpages
>                     that are
>                     hosted by Sourceforge. So, we cannot do anything here.
>
>                     I don't know if somebody ping'ed already Sourceforge about
>                     this problem.
>                     But I'll do it here again.
>

>         This community should have access and should be able to maintain the site.
>         SourceForge users "aooadmin" and "ipv6guru" are admins of the
>         https://sourceforge.net/projects/aoo-templates/
>         <https://sourceforge.net/projects/aoo-templates/> project which
>         corresponds to the
>         templates.openoffice.org <http://templates.openoffice.org> site.  Others
>         can be added (ideally by those 2 users,
>         so we at SourceForge don't have verify identities).  Documentation for web
>         hosting is at
>         https://sourceforge.net/p/forge/documentation/Project%20Web%20Services/
>         <https://sourceforge.net/p/forge/documentation/Project%20Web%20Services/> and
>         believe should work fine for the templates site, although we have made a few
>         specific customizations compared to regular SourceForge project web hosting.
>         Same goes for aoo-extensions.
>

>     OK, but I've no idea what to do to check and fix such erros? I think we
>     still need some help in this case.
>

> Dave as you know in past we got that stuff done by a contractor, as you probably
> remember it's a Drupal application and the community seems to lack the necessary
> expertise.
> If you have access to internal skilled resources it would be great if
> SourceForge could provide help with that, as you can see we're kind of stuck atm.

Yeah, I will see if there's anyone here that can help out.  It might not happen
very quickly though, and in general we support just the hosting and not the
Drupal/PHP code.  But we want OpenOffice to keep on doing great, so I'll see if
we can provide any extra help.

Who has an admin login to the templates site?  I think adding more admins is the
first step, so people can try to check the permissions & metadata on the bad
template entries.

Once someone starts to dig into the code, my general debugging approach would be
to grep the codebase for "Access Denied" and "If you were looking for a
Template, this means it is no longer available." etc to see what triggers that
error message.  I also wonder if the codebase is in git anywhere?

Am 06.03.2017 um 19:25 schrieb Dave Brondsema:

> [...]
>> SourceForge could provide help with that, as you can see we're kind of stuck atm.
>>

> Yeah, I will see if there's anyone here that can help out.  It might not happen
> very quickly though, and in general we support just the hosting and not the
> Drupal/PHP code.  But we want OpenOffice to keep on doing great, so I'll see if
> we can provide any extra help.
>
> Who has an admin login to the templates site?  I think adding more admins is the
> first step, so people can try to check the permissions & metadata on the bad
> template entries.
>
> Once someone starts to dig into the code, my general debugging approach would be
> to grep the codebase for "Access Denied" and "If you were looking for a
> Template, this means it is no longer available." etc to see what triggers that
> error message.  I also wonder if the codebase is in git anywhere?

Hi Dave,

so, whats up now? Is there any help you can offer? The problem is not
getting better.

Thanks

Marcus

On 3/16/17 4:48 PM, Marcus wrote:

> [...]
>> very quickly though, and in general we support just the hosting and not the
>> Drupal/PHP code.  But we want OpenOffice to keep on doing great, so I'll see if
>> we can provide any extra help.
>>
>> Who has an admin login to the templates site?  I think adding more admins is the
>> first step, so people can try to check the permissions & metadata on the bad
>> template entries.
>>
>> Once someone starts to dig into the code, my general debugging approach would be
>> to grep the codebase for "Access Denied" and "If you were looking for a
>> Template, this means it is no longer available." etc to see what triggers that
>> error message.  I also wonder if the codebase is in git anywhere?
>
> Hi Dave,
>
> so, whats up now? Is there any help you can offer? The problem is not getting

From my last email, I was hoping we could get an Drupal admin login to the
templates site.  Who would have that?

Also I'd like to see a better example of where this is failing.  The example
http://templates.openoffice.org/en/node/8382 is the only one I've seen and could
simply mean that template is gone.  What's an example of seeing a template on
the site and then not being able to see its details & download it?

Am 20.03.2017 um 17:56 schrieb Dave Brondsema:

> On 3/16/17 4:48 PM, Marcus wrote:

>>> Yeah, I will see if there's anyone here that can help out.  It might not happen
>>> very quickly though, and in general we support just the hosting and not the
>>> Drupal/PHP code.  But we want OpenOffice to keep on doing great, so I'll see if
>>> we can provide any extra help.
>>>
>>> Who has an admin login to the templates site?  I think adding more admins is the
>>> first step, so people can try to check the permissions & metadata on the bad
>>> template entries.
>>>
>>> Once someone starts to dig into the code, my general debugging approach would be
>>> to grep the codebase for "Access Denied" and "If you were looking for a
>>> Template, this means it is no longer available." etc to see what triggers that
>>> error message.  I also wonder if the codebase is in git anywhere?
>>
>> Hi Dave,
>>
>> so, whats up now? Is there any help you can offer? The problem is not getting
>> better.
>>

> From my last email, I was hoping we could get an Drupal admin login to the
> templates site.  Who would have that?

I need to lookup my passwords. Then I can login as admin.

However, this wouldn't help. AFAIK we have nobody with Drupal knowledge.

You could tell us what to look for and what to do in cases A, B, C, etc.
But then it's better when you (SourceForge) do it yourself right away. ;-)

> Also I'd like to see a better example of where this is failing.  The example
> http://templates.openoffice.org/en/node/8382 is the only one I've seen and could
> simply mean that template is gone.  What's an example of seeing a template on
> the site and then not being able to see its details & download it?

I don't know of any other better examples. But IMHO there were some
mails with links in the last days posted to this mailing list. I'm sure
they can serve as examples. Please have a look for them.

Thanks for your help.

Marcus

On 3/20/17 3:09 PM, Marcus wrote:

> Am 20.03.2017 um 17:56 schrieb Dave Brondsema:

>>> Hi Dave,
>>>
>>> so, whats up now? Is there any help you can offer? The problem is not getting
>>> better.
>>>

>> From my last email, I was hoping we could get an Drupal admin login to the
>> templates site.  Who would have that?
>
> I need to lookup my passwords. Then I can login as admin.

Thanks.

> However, this wouldn't help. AFAIK we have nobody with Drupal knowledge.

I think it will be useful to see what we can see from the Drupal admin side.
Once you're in, could you set my user as an admin?  (username "dave-brondsema"
id 241648) Then I can start the process of looking around in there.

> You could tell us what to look for and what to do in cases A, B, C, etc. But
> then it's better when you (SourceForge) do it yourself right away. ;-)
>
>> Also I'd like to see a better example of where this is failing.  The example
>> http://templates.openoffice.org/en/node/8382 is the only one I've seen and could
>> simply mean that template is gone.  What's an example of seeing a template on
>> the site and then not being able to see its details & download it?
>
> I don't know of any other better examples. But IMHO there were some mails with
> links in the last days posted to this mailing list. I'm sure they can serve as
> examples. Please have a look for them.

I see two forwarded from Martin Groenescheij.  They seem to be end-user issues.
I am able to access and download the template files just fine.  (Sorting &
filtering does have some small usability issues)

An email from Feb 22 reports the problem, but without enough details.

One from Feb 22, mentions a "cBrainpower1.3" template. On
http://openofficeapps.weebly.com/english-downloads.html there is a link to
http://templates.services.openoffice.org/en/template/cbrainpower-13-creativ-learning-made
which has an error message, so that's one I can check in the admin area or database.

--
Dave Brondsema : [hidden email]
http://www.brondsema.net : personal
http://www.splike.com : programming
              <><

Re: Templates Site "Access Denied"

Matthias Seidel
Am 20.03.2017 um 20:09 schrieb Marcus:

> Am 20.03.2017 um 17:56 schrieb Dave Brondsema:

>>> Hi Dave,
>>>
>>> so, whats up now? Is there any help you can offer? The problem is
>>> not getting
>>> better.
>>>

>> From my last email, I was hoping we could get an Drupal admin login
>> to the
>> templates site.  Who would have that?
>
> I need to lookup my passwords. Then I can login as admin.
>
> However, this wouldn't help. AFAIK we have nobody with Drupal knowledge.
It would be great if you could also give me admistrative rights.
I'd like to update the ASF logo and am willing to learn the basics of
Drupal for that.

Regards, Matthias

smime.p7s (4K) Download Attachment

Re: Templates Site "Access Denied"

Matthias Seidel
Hi Dave,

As both the templates and the extensions site don't have SSL
certificates I opened an issue with Apache Infra.
They say, the sites point to Sourceforge and they can't do anything
about it.

So can SF add certificates to those sites and enable permanent
redirection to HTTPS?

Firefox (and other browsers) are beginning to warn users if they log
into sites without encryption.

Kind regards, Matthias

On 3/22/17 2:35 PM, Matthias Seidel wrote:
> Hi Dave,
>
> As both the templates and the extensions site don't have SSL
> certificates I opened an issue with Apache Infra.
> They say, the sites point to Sourceforge and they can't do anything
> about it.
>
> So can SF add certificates to those sites and enable permanent
> redirection to HTTPS?

Yes I noticed this as well, and believe we can set that up.  It'll probably take
some Drupal work also, to make sure resources are all loaded over HTTPS to avoid
mixed content warnings, before we can force redirection to HTTPS.

--
Dave Brondsema : [hidden email]
http://www.brondsema.net : personal
http://www.splike.com : programming
              <><

Re: Templates Site "Access Denied"

Matthias Seidel

Hi Dave,

Yes, a certificate would be the first step.

BTW:
I noticed that the link to "Templates" on http://extensions.openoffice.org points to http://templates.services.openoffice.org instead of http://templates.openoffice.org.

I am not sure if these URL with .services should still be used...

Kind regards, Matthias

[hidden email]>:

[...]

From my last email, I was hoping we could get an Drupal admin login to the

On 3/25/17 6:44 AM, Matthias Seidel wrote:

> Hi Dave,
>
> Yes, a certificate would be the first step.
>
> BTW:
> I noticed that the link to "Templates" on http://extensions.openoffice.org
> points to http://templates.services.openoffice.org instead of
> http://templates.openoffice.org.
>
> I am not sure if these URL with .services should still be used...

Yeah, I expect we will 301 redirect to drop .services from the URL when we set
up the SSL certs