Test of AOO-dev 4.19

Rory O'Farrell

Starting 4.19 in a terminal I get

>  Gtk-Message: 10:33:16.929: Failed to load module "atk-bridge"

>  ** (soffice:6909): WARNING **: 10:33:16.936: Unknown type: GailWindow

The Unknown type GailWindow has been around for quite some time.

I think the 'Failed to load module "atk-bridge"' is new; a similar error cropped up recently on en-Forum related to a Sigserv fault in connection with tables; that thread is
https://forum.openoffice.org/en/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=103974#p503393

The references in that thread (rather acrimonious!) are summed up in this post

https://forum.openoffice.org/en/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=103974&start=30#p503634

which is possibly all one will need to read

--
Rory O'Farrell <[hidden email]>

Re: Test of AOO-dev 4.19

Rory O'Farrell
On Wed, 30 Dec 2020 10:43:56 +0000
Rory O'Farrell <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Starting 4.19 in a terminal I get
>
> >  Gtk-Message: 10:33:16.929: Failed to load module "atk-bridge"
>
> >  ** (soffice:6909): WARNING **: 10:33:16.936: Unknown type: GailWindow
>
> The Unknown type GailWindow has been around for quite some time.
>
> I think the 'Failed to load module "atk-bridge"' is new; a similar error cropped up recently on en-Forum related to a Sigserv fault in connection with tables; that thread is
> https://forum.openoffice.org/en/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=103974#p503393
>
> The references in that thread (rather acrimonious!) are summed up in this post
>
> https://forum.openoffice.org/en/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=103974&start=30#p503634
>
> which is possibly all one will need to read

I am sorry I omitted essential information - I am currently using Writer running on Xubuntu 64 bit 20.04.1, updated daily.

I am also receiving 'Unknown event notification 36' when I type "DT" then press F3 key to insert dummy text

--
Rory O'Farrell <[hidden email]>

Re: Test of AOO-dev 4.19

Jim Jagielski
Hmmm. Scanning both trunk and AOO419 for 'GailWindow', I'm not seeing any code level diffs between the 2.

I wonder if it's related to this: https://mail.gnome.org/archives/commits-list/2011-July/msg00596.html

> On Dec 30, 2020, at 5:43 AM, Rory O'Farrell <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

> Starting 4.19 in a terminal I get
>
>> Gtk-Message: 10:33:16.929: Failed to load module "atk-bridge"
>
>> ** (soffice:6909): WARNING **: 10:33:16.936: Unknown type: GailWindow
>
> The Unknown type GailWindow has been around for quite some time.
>
> I think the 'Failed to load module "atk-bridge"' is new; a similar error cropped up recently on en-Forum related to a Sigserv fault in connection with tables; that thread is
> https://forum.openoffice.org/en/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=103974#p503393
>
> The references in that thread (rather acrimonious!) are summed up in this post
>
> https://forum.openoffice.org/en/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=103974&start=30#p503634
>
> which is possibly all one will need to read
>

> --
> Rory O'Farrell <[hidden email]>

Re: Test of AOO-dev 4.19

Rory O'Farrell
On Wed, 30 Dec 2020 06:37:18 -0500
Jim Jagielski <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hmmm. Scanning both trunk and AOO419 for 'GailWindow', I'm not seeing any code level diffs between the 2.
>
> I wonder if it's related to this: https://mail.gnome.org/archives/commits-list/2011-July/msg00596.html
>
> > On Dec 30, 2020, at 5:43 AM, Rory O'Farrell <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >

> > Starting 4.19 in a terminal I get
> >
> >> Gtk-Message: 10:33:16.929: Failed to load module "atk-bridge"
> >
> >> ** (soffice:6909): WARNING **: 10:33:16.936: Unknown type: GailWindow
> >
> > The Unknown type GailWindow has been around for quite some time.
> >
> > I think the 'Failed to load module "atk-bridge"' is new; a similar error cropped up recently on en-Forum related to a Sigserv fault in connection with tables; that thread is
> > https://forum.openoffice.org/en/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=103974#p503393
> >
> > The references in that thread (rather acrimonious!) are summed up in this post
> >
> > https://forum.openoffice.org/en/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=103974&start=30#p503634
> >
> > which is possibly all one will need to read
> >

> > --
> > Rory O'Farrell <[hidden email]>

Running the 4.5.0 dev version has also thrown up the GailWindow error. The analysis in the post I referenced above on Forum  (...p503634) indicates GailWindow to be in the Accessible GTK+ applications framework, as is the atk-bridge.

If the suggestion to which you refer (... msg00596) is relevant and eliminates need for ~500 lines of code then that would be a Good Thing!

(Off topic: A "Good Thing", in capital letters, is a normally reference to a comic history of England "1066 and All That", by WC Sellar and RJ Yeatman, [London 1930], which boiled all English history down into 103 Good Things, 5 Bad Kings, and 2 Genuine Dates.  For people my age (now mid 70s), their division of history into Good Things and Bad Things greatly simplified the historical scene!)

--
Rory O'Farrell <[hidden email]>

Re: Test of AOO-dev 4.19

Peter Kovacs-3
The GailWindow error commes from the GTK+. I have looked into that
without finding the source. However, I think a lot of GTK application
have that message, so may well be this is something more general.

However in generall our GTK implementation is flawed. We call some wrong
functions, I documented all I figured somewhere...

The 'Failed to load module "atk-bridge"' does not sound familiar atm.

On 30.12.20 13:11, Rory O'Farrell wrote:

> On Wed, 30 Dec 2020 06:37:18 -0500
> Jim Jagielski <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hmmm. Scanning both trunk and AOO419 for 'GailWindow', I'm not seeing any code level diffs between the 2.
>>
>> I wonder if it's related to this: https://mail.gnome.org/archives/commits-list/2011-July/msg00596.html
>>
>>> On Dec 30, 2020, at 5:43 AM, Rory O'Farrell <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>

>>> Starting 4.19 in a terminal I get

>>> The Unknown type GailWindow has been around for quite some time.
>>>
>>> I think the 'Failed to load module "atk-bridge"' is new; a similar error cropped up recently on en-Forum related to a Sigserv fault in connection with tables; that thread is
>>> https://forum.openoffice.org/en/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=103974#p503393
>>>
>>> The references in that thread (rather acrimonious!) are summed up in this post
>>>
>>> https://forum.openoffice.org/en/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=103974&start=30#p503634
>>>
>>> which is possibly all one will need to read
>>>

>>> --
>>> Rory O'Farrell <[hidden email]>
>>>
> Running the 4.5.0 dev version has also thrown up the GailWindow error. The analysis in the post I referenced above on Forum  (...p503634) indicates GailWindow to be in the Accessible GTK+ applications framework, as is the atk-bridge.
>
> If the suggestion to which you refer (... msg00596) is relevant and eliminates need for ~500 lines of code then that would be a Good Thing!
>
> (Off topic: A "Good Thing", in capital letters, is a normally reference to a comic history of England "1066 and All That", by WC Sellar and RJ Yeatman, [London 1930], which boiled all English history down into 103 Good Things, 5 Bad Kings, and 2 Genuine Dates.  For people my age (now mid 70s), their division of history into Good Things and Bad Things greatly simplified the historical scene!)

--
This is the Way! http://www.apache.org/theapacheway/index.html

Re: Test of AOO-dev 4.19

Matthias Seidel
Hi Jim,

Just out of curiosity, is there a specific reason why we omit 9804 and
go to 9805 here:

https://github.com/apache/openoffice/blob/30f2cd9a04dc52522341372a9eff85674a7e9f73/main/solenv/inc/minor.mk#L23

Regards,

   Matthias

Am 30.12.20 um 12:37 schrieb Jim Jagielski:

> Hmmm. Scanning both trunk and AOO419 for 'GailWindow', I'm not seeing any code level diffs between the 2.
>
> I wonder if it's related to this: https://mail.gnome.org/archives/commits-list/2011-July/msg00596.html
>
>> On Dec 30, 2020, at 5:43 AM, Rory O'Farrell <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>

>> Starting 4.19 in a terminal I get
>>
>>> Gtk-Message: 10:33:16.929: Failed to load module "atk-bridge"
>>> ** (soffice:6909): WARNING **: 10:33:16.936: Unknown type: GailWindow
>> The Unknown type GailWindow has been around for quite some time.
>>
>> I think the 'Failed to load module "atk-bridge"' is new; a similar error cropped up recently on en-Forum related to a Sigserv fault in connection with tables; that thread is
>> https://forum.openoffice.org/en/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=103974#p503393
>>
>> The references in that thread (rather acrimonious!) are summed up in this post
>>
>> https://forum.openoffice.org/en/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=103974&start=30#p503634
>>
>> which is possibly all one will need to read
>>

>> --
>> Rory O'Farrell <[hidden email]>

smime.p7s (5K) Download Attachment

Re: Test of AOO-dev 4.19

Jim Jagielski
I like having buffers.

> On Dec 30, 2020, at 8:55 AM, Matthias Seidel <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi Jim,
>
> Just out of curiosity, is there a specific reason why we omit 9804 and
> go to 9805 here:
>
> https://github.com/apache/openoffice/blob/30f2cd9a04dc52522341372a9eff85674a7e9f73/main/solenv/inc/minor.mk#L23
>
> Regards,
>
>    Matthias
>
> Am 30.12.20 um 12:37 schrieb Jim Jagielski:
>> Hmmm. Scanning both trunk and AOO419 for 'GailWindow', I'm not seeing any code level diffs between the 2.
>>
>> I wonder if it's related to this: https://mail.gnome.org/archives/commits-list/2011-July/msg00596.html
>>
>>> On Dec 30, 2020, at 5:43 AM, Rory O'Farrell <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>

>>> Starting 4.19 in a terminal I get

>>> The Unknown type GailWindow has been around for quite some time.
>>>
>>> I think the 'Failed to load module "atk-bridge"' is new; a similar error cropped up recently on en-Forum related to a Sigserv fault in connection with tables; that thread is
>>> https://forum.openoffice.org/en/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=103974#p503393
>>>
>>> The references in that thread (rather acrimonious!) are summed up in this post
>>>
>>> https://forum.openoffice.org/en/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=103974&start=30#p503634
>>>
>>> which is possibly all one will need to read
>>>

>>> --
>>> Rory O'Farrell <[hidden email]>

Re: Test of AOO-dev 4.19

Keith N. McKenna
On 12/30/2020 7:11 AM, Rory O'Farrell wrote:
> On Wed, 30 Dec 2020 06:37:18 -0500
> Jim Jagielski <[hidden email]> wrote:
<svip
> (Off topic: A "Good Thing", in capital letters, is a normally reference to a comic history of England "1066 and All That", by WC Sellar and RJ Yeatman, [London 1930], which boiled all English history down into 103 Good Things, 5 Bad Kings, and 2 Genuine Dates.  For people my age (now mid 70s), their division of history into Good Things and Bad Things greatly simplified the historical scene!)

 As a former History major I loved 1066 and all that. Their use of
humour greatly enhanced what can too often be a dry subject. I need to
replace my copy of that fine book.

Regards
Keith