Text CSV won't open as a Spreadsheet

Previous Topic Next Topic
 
classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
10 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Text CSV won't open as a Spreadsheet

Linda Hull
I saved my file as filename.txt in Apache OpenOffice Writer.

Trying to open it as .csv in a spreadsheet, to work on it further.

I click Open, and insert filename.txt, and click on .txt CSV in the drop
down.

It keeps opening as Writer, not Calc.

Is this a bug or did I forget a step or what do I need to do?

I've tried opening a similar file.txt made in notepad++, it's still Writer
not Calc.
I believe this just started today, and that I opened similar files with
this technique yesterday.

Linda
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Text CSV won't open as a Spreadsheet

Martin Groenescheij
Two options:
1. Open a new spreadsheet and insert the txt file.
2. Rename the txt file extension to csv

Sent from my mobile device.

> On 5 Oct 2017, at 11:03 am, Linda Hull <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I saved my file as filename.txt in Apache OpenOffice Writer.
>
> Trying to open it as .csv in a spreadsheet, to work on it further.
>
> I click Open, and insert filename.txt, and click on .txt CSV in the drop
> down.
>
> It keeps opening as Writer, not Calc.
>
> Is this a bug or did I forget a step or what do I need to do?
>
> I've tried opening a similar file.txt made in notepad++, it's still Writer
> not Calc.
> I believe this just started today, and that I opened similar files with
> this technique yesterday.
>
> Linda

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Text CSV won't open as a Spreadsheet

Brian Barker
In reply to this post by Linda Hull
At 05:03 05/10/2017 -0400, Linda Hull wrote:
>I saved my file as filename.txt in Apache
>OpenOffice Writer. Trying to open it as .csv in
>a spreadsheet, to work on it further.

Er, your document file cannot have the two
different extensions .txt and .csv
simultaneously. You mean you want to open it "as CSV", not "as .csv", I think.

>I click Open, and insert filename.txt, and click on .txt CSV in the drop down.

That drop-down menu has no effect on how the
document file is handled. All it does is restrict
the list of files in the current folder that are
displayed in the panel above. In other words,
once you have got the required file name in the
"File name" box, it has no effect at all.

>It keeps opening as Writer, not Calc.

It will. OpenOffice selects the appropriate input
filter depending on the extension to the file
name and the actual contents of the file. Your
file name extension .txt tells it you want this
considered as a text file, so it thinks you will want to edit it as that.

>Is this a bug or did I forget a step or what do I need to do?

Change the file name from filename.txt to
filename.csv. You can do this outside OpenOffice,
in your operating system, of course. Then open it in OpenOffice. Voilà!

>I've tried opening a similar file.txt made in
>notepad++, it's still Writer not Calc.

That would fit the facts.

>I believe this just started today, and that I
>opened similar files with this technique yesterday.

5 October is Computers-are-built-to-confuse-you Day.

I trust this helps.

Brian Barker


---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Text CSV won't open as a Spreadsheet

Linda Hull
In reply to this post by Linda Hull
Brian,

I feel like I'm in Through-the-Looking-Glass Land.

You know I do this regularly to manage channel access lists for IRC.  It's
just not working.  I have NEVER had to modify the file name before.  I
don't think I converted the files to .doc,  Writer holds them as .odt.

What I have always been doing is: Look up the filename in 'open'.  Open the
dropdown, "All files (*.*)", scroll down to where it says: "Text CSV (*.csv
*.txt)", click that and it should show me a "do you really want to open all
this stuff in a spreadsheet?" .. click yes.  Get Calc.

ONLY IT'S NOT WORKING!

I'll be happy to send you any number of files privately, but I'm wondering
if something is bugged in my Apache OpenOffice?

I need it.


Linda



On Thu, Oct 5, 2017 at 6:55 AM, Brian Barker <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> At 05:03 05/10/2017 -0400, Linda Hull wrote:
>
>> I saved my file as filename.txt in Apache OpenOffice Writer. Trying to
>> open it as .csv in a spreadsheet, to work on it further.
>>
>
> Er, your document file cannot have the two different extensions .txt and
> .csv simultaneously. You mean you want to open it "as CSV", not "as .csv",
> I think.
>
> I click Open, and insert filename.txt, and click on .txt CSV in the drop
>> down.
>>
>
> That drop-down menu has no effect on how the document file is handled. All
> it does is restrict the list of files in the current folder that are
> displayed in the panel above. In other words, once you have got the
> required file name in the "File name" box, it has no effect at all.
>
> It keeps opening as Writer, not Calc.
>>
>
> It will. OpenOffice selects the appropriate input filter depending on the
> extension to the file name and the actual contents of the file. Your file
> name extension .txt tells it you want this considered as a text file, so it
> thinks you will want to edit it as that.
>
> Is this a bug or did I forget a step or what do I need to do?
>>
>
> Change the file name from filename.txt to filename.csv. You can do this
> outside OpenOffice, in your operating system, of course. Then open it in
> OpenOffice. Voilà!
>
> I've tried opening a similar file.txt made in notepad++, it's still Writer
>> not Calc.
>>
>
> That would fit the facts.
>
> I believe this just started today, and that I opened similar files with
>> this technique yesterday.
>>
>
> 5 October is Computers-are-built-to-confuse-you Day.
>
> I trust this helps.
>
> Brian Barker
>
>
> ---------------------------------------------------------------------
> To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
> For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]
>
>
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Text CSV won't open as a Spreadsheet

Dave C
In reply to this post by Brian Barker
> 5 October is Computers-are-built-to-confuse-you Day.
>
> I trust this helps.
>
> Brian Barker

In Norwegian (I think it was Norwegian) “computer” translates to “number-witch”.

Your helpful tip for the day. (C;

Dave

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Text CSV won't open as a Spreadsheet

Brian Barker
In reply to this post by Linda Hull
At 08:07 05/10/2017 -0400, Linda Hull wrote:
>I feel like I'm in Through-the-Looking-Glass Land.

No, I think you are in the real world and I am somewhat distracting
you. Apologies that my previous reply was not entirely accurate.

>You know I do this regularly to manage channel access lists for IRC.
>It's just not working. I have NEVER had to modify the file name before.

Changing .txt to .csv does work, but - as you say - it may not be necessary.

>I don't think I converted the files to .doc, Writer holds them as .odt.

Now I'm confused: you said you saved as .txt. I hope you did.

>What I have always been doing is: Look up the filename in 'open'.
>Open the dropdown, "All files (*.*)", scroll down to where it says:
>"Text CSV (*.csv *.txt)", click that and it should show me a "do you
>really want to open all this stuff in a spreadsheet?" .. click yes.

I don't recognise that error message, but yes: you should see the
Text Import window, allowing you to select options.

>I'll be happy to send you any number of files privately, ...

One would suffice.

>... but I'm wondering if something is bugged in my Apache OpenOffice?

Much more likely that you are doing something slightly differently or
you have made or allowed a settings change.

Is it possible that the actual contents of a specific text file make
OpenOffice think you cannot want it as a spreadsheet?

Is it just possible that you are scrolling down to "Text (*.txt)" in
the text document list instead of "Text CSV (*.csv;*.txt)" in the
spreadsheet documents list?

Which version of OpenOffice are you using? And what operating system?

Brian Barker


---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Text CSV won't open as a Spreadsheet

Linda Hull
In reply to this post by Linda Hull
I have Apache Open Office 4.1.2 on Windows 7.

Yesterday I made several spreadsheets, today it won't.

Linda

On Thu, Oct 5, 2017 at 8:58 AM, Brian Barker <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> At 08:07 05/10/2017 -0400, Linda Hull wrote:
>
>> I feel like I'm in Through-the-Looking-Glass Land.
>>
>
> No, I think you are in the real world and I am somewhat distracting you.
> Apologies that my previous reply was not entirely accurate.
>
> You know I do this regularly to manage channel access lists for IRC. It's
>> just not working. I have NEVER had to modify the file name before.
>>
>
> Changing .txt to .csv does work, but - as you say - it may not be
> necessary.
>
> I don't think I converted the files to .doc, Writer holds them as .odt.
>>
>
> Now I'm confused: you said you saved as .txt. I hope you did.
>
> What I have always been doing is: Look up the filename in 'open'. Open the
>> dropdown, "All files (*.*)", scroll down to where it says: "Text CSV (*.csv
>> *.txt)", click that and it should show me a "do you really want to open all
>> this stuff in a spreadsheet?" .. click yes.
>>
>
> I don't recognise that error message, but yes: you should see the Text
> Import window, allowing you to select options.
>
> I'll be happy to send you any number of files privately, ...
>>
>
> One would suffice.
>
> ... but I'm wondering if something is bugged in my Apache OpenOffice?
>>
>
> Much more likely that you are doing something slightly differently or you
> have made or allowed a settings change.
>
> Is it possible that the actual contents of a specific text file make
> OpenOffice think you cannot want it as a spreadsheet?
>
> Is it just possible that you are scrolling down to "Text (*.txt)" in the
> text document list instead of "Text CSV (*.csv;*.txt)" in the spreadsheet
> documents list?
>
> Which version of OpenOffice are you using? And what operating system?
>
>
> Brian Barker
>
>
> ---------------------------------------------------------------------
> To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
> For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]
>
>
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Text CSV won't open as a Spreadsheet

Linda Hull
IT still isn't working.  That's the bottom line for me. I need to be able
to go from a text file to a spreadsheet. Pasting it doesn't do the columns
right.

Linda

On Thu, Oct 5, 2017 at 10:30 AM, Linda Hull <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> I have Apache Open Office 4.1.2 on Windows 7.
>
> Yesterday I made several spreadsheets, today it won't.
>
> Linda
>
> On Thu, Oct 5, 2017 at 8:58 AM, Brian Barker <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> At 08:07 05/10/2017 -0400, Linda Hull wrote:
>>
>>> I feel like I'm in Through-the-Looking-Glass Land.
>>>
>>
>> No, I think you are in the real world and I am somewhat distracting you.
>> Apologies that my previous reply was not entirely accurate.
>>
>> You know I do this regularly to manage channel access lists for IRC. It's
>>> just not working. I have NEVER had to modify the file name before.
>>>
>>
>> Changing .txt to .csv does work, but - as you say - it may not be
>> necessary.
>>
>> I don't think I converted the files to .doc, Writer holds them as .odt.
>>>
>>
>> Now I'm confused: you said you saved as .txt. I hope you did.
>>
>> What I have always been doing is: Look up the filename in 'open'. Open
>>> the dropdown, "All files (*.*)", scroll down to where it says: "Text CSV
>>> (*.csv *.txt)", click that and it should show me a "do you really want to
>>> open all this stuff in a spreadsheet?" .. click yes.
>>>
>>
>> I don't recognise that error message, but yes: you should see the Text
>> Import window, allowing you to select options.
>>
>> I'll be happy to send you any number of files privately, ...
>>>
>>
>> One would suffice.
>>
>> ... but I'm wondering if something is bugged in my Apache OpenOffice?
>>>
>>
>> Much more likely that you are doing something slightly differently or you
>> have made or allowed a settings change.
>>
>> Is it possible that the actual contents of a specific text file make
>> OpenOffice think you cannot want it as a spreadsheet?
>>
>> Is it just possible that you are scrolling down to "Text (*.txt)" in the
>> text document list instead of "Text CSV (*.csv;*.txt)" in the spreadsheet
>> documents list?
>>
>> Which version of OpenOffice are you using? And what operating system?
>>
>>
>> Brian Barker
>>
>>
>> ---------------------------------------------------------------------
>> To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
>> For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]
>>
>>
>
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Text CSV won't open as a Spreadsheet

John Hart-2
On 10/5/2017 11:33 AM, Linda Hull wrote:
> IT still isn't working.  That's the bottom line for me. I need to be able
> to go from a text file to a spreadsheet. Pasting it doesn't do the columns
> right.
>
> Linda
It's probably not saved as a text file. I'd suggest opening it with
a simple editor to find out.

jrh

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Text CSV won't open as a Spreadsheet

Linda Hull
I slept on it.  Really really appreciate all of your help!

Tried opening a similar file that I had not processed in OpenOffice, it
opened as a .CSV in Calc.

I pasted the file from OpenOffice to notepad++ saved as filename.txt.
Opened in Calc with 'Text CSV (*.txt *.csv)', and it did open in Calc, but
all of my columns are 2.48", 2.96", 2.67", 2.27" - this is A: USER, B
usernames, C: ACCESS, D blank.. etc.
Why so wide? I'm guessing it picked up formatting from the OO.

I don't want to do this, will I need to fix each one manually?

It really should open as a CSV file, in appropriate width columns not what
it did, this time.

USER should be 0.54", usernames 1.03", ACCESS 0.74", etc, all a bit wider
than the text that opens in that column, empty columns .55" or something.

I have to process the file in OpenOffice, then I want to open it in Calc.
What format do I need to save the file in?

Linda







On Thu, Oct 5, 2017 at 2:52 PM, John Hart <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 10/5/2017 11:33 AM, Linda Hull wrote:
>
>> IT still isn't working.  That's the bottom line for me. I need to be able
>> to go from a text file to a spreadsheet. Pasting it doesn't do the columns
>> right.
>>
>> Linda
>>
> It's probably not saved as a text file. I'd suggest opening it with
> a simple editor to find out.
>
> jrh
>
>
> ---------------------------------------------------------------------
> To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
> For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]
>
>