Text/background colours on spreadsheet

David Deeks
Hi all

I am editing a previously created spreadsheet that uses a variety of colours for background and text. I need to add more cells that use the same colours. If I select an existing cell, is there a way of identifying the previously used colours? At the moment I’m selecting all colours that look close, until I find the right one!

Thanks

David D

Re: Text/background colours on spreadsheet

Peter Kovacs-3
You could copy the format from and existing cell.
Just select the cell you want to copy from.
Then select the brush from the toolbar.
Then select the target cell you want to copy to.

Am 10. Juni 2020 12:35:19 MESZ schrieb David Deeks <[hidden email]>:

>Hi all
>
>I am editing a previously created spreadsheet that uses a variety of
>colours for background and text. I need to add more cells that use the
>same colours. If I select an existing cell, is there a way of
>identifying the previously used colours? At the moment I’m selecting
>all colours that look close, until I find the right one!
>
>Thanks
>
>David D

Re: Text/background colours on spreadsheet

Brian Barker-2
At 11:35 10/06/2020 +0100, David Deeks wrote:
>I am editing a previously created spreadsheet that uses a variety of
>colours for background and text. I need to add more cells that use
>the same colours. If I select an existing cell, is there a way of
>identifying the previously used colours? At the moment I'm selecting
>all colours that look close, until I find the right one!

You probably don't need to identify the colours, but merely to
reproduce them. Two ways to do this:

(As has already been suggested)
o Select a representative cell.
o Click the Format Paintbrush in the Standard toolbar.
o Either click in a target cell or drag across a target range.
Note that you can double-click the Format Paintbrush if you wish to
format multiple cells or ranges. Press Esc to cancel the facility.

o Copy a representative cell.
o Select a target cell or target range.
o Paste, but using Paste Special (or Ctrl+Shift+V) instead of ordinary paste.
o In the Paste Special dialogue, untick Paste All if necessary and
ensure that only Formats is selected.

I trust this helps.

Brian Barker

Re: Text/background colours on spreadsheet

Dan Lewis
There is  third way to do this using styles. Had you created a style
which described all of the characteristics you want (background AND
text) the particular cell to have, giving other cells involves only two
simple steps:

1) Click the cell.
2) Double click the style.

If you want to do this to several cells at one time, select the cells
and then double click.

AOO is designed to use styles to define properties that can be used over
and over again if necessary. This is especially true in Writer when it
simplifies formatting text documents. It is just as true for cells,
rows, columns, and group of cells in Calc. There should be information
in the Calc Guide as to how to do this.

Dan

On 6/10/20 06:35, David Deeks wrote:

> Hi all
>
> I am editing a previously created spreadsheet that uses a variety of colours for background and text. I need to add more cells that use the same colours. If I select an existing cell, is there a way of identifying the previously used colours? At the moment I’m selecting all colours that look close, until I find the right one!
>
> Thanks
>
> David D

Re: Text/background colours on spreadsheet

David Deeks-2
Brian, Dan

Thanks so much for these replies, really helpful.

Very glad I joined the support group!

All best

David