The Document Foundation and LibreOffice

Jean Hollis Weber-3
Hello, team!

You've probably already heard about this by now:
http://www.documentfoundation.org

I was unaware of this planned fork, so the announcement came as a
complete surprise to me. I knew that OOo had been talking about setting
up a foundation for some years now, but had no idea this would happen.
Perhaps I just don't pay enough attention!

At this point I have questions, but no answers. For example: where does
the effort from OOoAuthors go now and in the future? to OOo or
LibreOffice or both? What relation will the OOoAuthors docs have with
LibreOffice? What impact will this have on OOo documentation generally?
Indeed, what will happen with OOo generally (a bigger question, one
that's been around since Oracle bought Sun)?

Some of the answers are probably up to us to decide, and some depend on
others: what happens with OOo, and whether the LibreOffice team want to
reuse or adapt our docs and what relationship they might like with us. I
have not yet checked to see what, if any, licensing issues might get in
the way.

I've got some reading to do on the Document Foundation's website (and
some of the OOo lists, including Marketing), and you may wish to do so
as well. I know that some of the Document Foundation's committee members
and deputies participate on this and the dev@docs list, so perhaps they
can offer some thoughts that are less speculation than anything I can
say.

We live in interesting times!

--Jean

Re: [authors] The Document Foundation and LibreOffice

Andrew Pitonyak

I am always skeptical, but, there are heavy hitters in the group that
have a proven track record for commitment and for production (probably
why they setup a "meritocratic" organization).

Ignore the mission statement page and read the FAQ first... then go back
to the mission statement page.

http://www.documentfoundation.org/faq/

--
Andrew Pitonyak

Re: Re: [authors] The Document Foundation and LibreOffice

Alex Thurgood

Oh I read that, but marketing spin and politics always take their toll on statements designed to inform in a positive light ;-) Maybe I'm just too much of a cynic <evil grin>.

Alex

Base tutorial and the new reality

mcasanova
Hello

I am ready to publish the second and last edition of the Base tutorial.
This edition corrects some errata, formatting errors and includes the
section on outer joins. It also attempts to actualize itself to the
changes found in the latter versions of OO.o Base.

The only thing missing is a reference to loading the collection of data to
play with in chapter 10, which Drew and Joe had proposed. I would like to
know if the set offered by Joe is available or if Drew would want to
create one. A humorous tone is not only fine with me but also encouraged,
Joe; but a random set would be as useful. To do this I would like to
upload the set so that I can provide the exact URL in the text of the
tutorial.

I would like to ask if anyone knows what will happen to Open Office.org in
the context of the role of Oracle and the emergence of Libreoffice (on a
more superficial scale, do I need to change the references to the Sun
Report Builder for Oracle Report Builder? But on a deeper dimension, what
will happen to the hosting and availability of documentation for OO.o
users, with the hosting of and help offered by the forums, and the
development and availability of the suite?).

Thanks for any insight.

Mariano Casanova

Re: Base tutorial and the new reality

Joe Smith-4
On 10/06/2010 02:43 PM, [hidden email] wrote:

> The only thing missing is a reference to loading the collection of data to
> play with in chapter 10, which Drew and Joe had proposed. I would like to
> know if the set offered by Joe is available or if Drew would want to
> create one. A humorous tone is not only fine with me but also encouraged,
> Joe; but a random set would be as useful. To do this I would like to
> upload the set so that I can provide the exact URL in the text of the
> tutorial.

My sample set is still available here:
http://www.martnet.com/~jes/temp/MLTut2a.odb

But that's just a temporary location. The release file should be
available from some public repository--alongside the text would make it
simple for people to find, I expect.

If you want the data in some other form, just let me know. Drew
mentioned a plain ascii "SCRIPT" dump. Such a file is trivial to prepare
from the .odb, but I'd be happy to convert to whatever format is best.

If a different set would be better, that's cool by me--whatever supports
the text best.

I don't claim any rights to the data--I'm not sure it's even possible to
claim any legal rights for randomly-generated data like this.

<Joe

Re: Base tutorial and the new reality

Drew Jensen
  On 10/06/2010 04:59 PM, Joe Smith wrote:

>> The only thing missing is a reference to loading the collection of
>> data to
>> play with in chapter 10, which Drew and Joe had proposed. I would
>> like to
>> know if the set offered by Joe is available or if Drew would want to
>> create one. A humorous tone is not only fine with me but also
>> encouraged,
>> Joe; but a random set would be as useful. To do this I would like to
>> upload the set so that I can provide the exact URL in the text of the
>> tutorial.

> My sample set is still available here:
> http://www.martnet.com/~jes/temp/MLTut2a.odb
>
> But that's just a temporary location. The release file should be
> available from some public repository--alongside the text would make
> it simple for people to find, I expect.
>
> If you want the data in some other form, just let me know. Drew
> mentioned a plain ascii "SCRIPT" dump. Such a file is trivial to
> prepare from the .odb, but I'd be happy to convert to whatever format
> is best.
>
> If a different set would be better, that's cool by me--whatever
> supports the text best.
>
> I don't claim any rights to the data--I'm not sure it's even possible
> to claim any legal rights for randomly-generated data like this.
>
> <Joe

Hi Mariano, Joe,

Grabbed the odb file, will check against the schema again in the latest
files Mariano uploaded and setup the text files for the data load.

I suppose the wiki is as good a place as any for that when I'm done.
Should give the permanent link needed.

So, something, sometime tomorrow and I'll send email when done - OK.

Drew

On Wed, 2010-10-06 at 17:50 -0400, Drew Jensen wrote:

> On 10/06/2010 04:59 PM, Joe Smith wrote:
> >
> > My sample set is still available here:
> > http://www.martnet.com/~jes/temp/MLTut2a.odb
> >
> > But that's just a temporary location. The release file should be
> > available from some public repository--alongside the text would make
> > it simple for people to find, I expect. [...]
>
> I suppose the wiki is as good a place as any for that when I'm done.
> Should give the permanent link needed.

I agree, store everything on the wiki.

--Jean