The localization process will be changed into a continuous process soon

12

The localization process will be changed into a continuous process soon

Ivo Hinkelmann - Sun Germany -
I am happy to announce that soon the localization process will be
changed into a continuous process which will allow to provide l10n
turnarounds cycles at every milestone. This process was presented at the
OooConf In Budapest:
http://www.ooocon.org/index.php/ooocon/2010/paper/view/207 and is the
outcome of Gregor, Rafaella and myself working on the so called
"continuous l10n" project.

Here below the major steps of this workflow:
*it creates a cws named l10n<workstamp><milestone> , e.g. l10ndev300m94
*it downloads all l10n from pootle
*it downloads  all sdf found on
ftp://qa-upload.services.openoffice.org/l10n/upload/ (no more sdf
delivery via Issue. Translated sdf files can be uploaded to this ftp)
*it gsichecks and merges the translated sdf files. Precondition is that
language is known and is set up in the resource system.
*it builds languagepacks for all languages that have been changed (even
when only 1 string has been changed) + one en-US insetsets
*it removes automatically languages from the build which cause a build
error not covered by the gsicheck, this allowing the other languages to
be built.
*it uploads the *_err.sdf from gsicheck
*it uploads windows and linux32 languagepacks and the en-US insetsets to
ftp://qa-upload.services.openoffice.org/l10n/download/

Please help us testing this new process! How?
*Check the language packs created by this process
*Non-Pootle users should upload translated sdf files to
ftp://qa-upload.services.openoffice.org/l10n/upload

For a later stage we are planning to
* commit the l10n
* integrate every cws
We are working already on a technical solution that will not blow up the
main repository. We will not integrate those cws till we solve this issue.

Cheers,
Ivo

Re: The localization process will be changed into a continuous process soon

Pavel Janík
Hi Ivo,

On 9.12.2010, at 13:51, Ivo Hinkelmann wrote:

> I am happy to announce that soon the localization process will be
> changed into a continuous process which will allow to provide l10n
> turnarounds cycles at every milestone. This process was presented
> at the OooConf In Budapest: http://www.ooocon.org/index.php/ooocon/
> 2010/paper/view/207 and is the outcome of Gregor, Rafaella and
> myself working on the so called "continuous l10n" project.

great to hear that!

> *it downloads all l10n from pootle
> *it downloads  all sdf found on ftp://qa-
> upload.services.openoffice.org/l10n/upload/ (no more sdf delivery
> via Issue. Translated sdf files can be uploaded to this ftp)

Do you support "static" ie. non-Pootle URLs?

> *Non-Pootle users should upload translated sdf files to ftp://qa-
> upload.services.openoffice.org/l10n/upload

Anonymous upload? Ups. isn't it better to fetch defined URLs?
--
Pavel Janík

Re: The localization process will be changed into a continuous process soon

Ivo Hinkelmann - Sun Germany -
Hi Pavel,

Pavel Janík wrote:

> Hi Ivo,
>
> On 9.12.2010, at 13:51, Ivo Hinkelmann wrote:
>

>> *it downloads all l10n from pootle
>> *it downloads  all sdf found on
>> ftp://qa-upload.services.openoffice.org/l10n/upload/ (no more sdf
>> delivery via Issue. Translated sdf files can be uploaded to this ftp)
>
> Do you support "static" ie. non-Pootle URLs?
>
>> *Non-Pootle users should upload translated sdf files to
>> ftp://qa-upload.services.openoffice.org/l10n/upload
>
> Anonymous upload? Ups. isn't it better to fetch defined URLs?

the ftp uses the openoffice accounts so it is not a real anonftp. We
thought a bit about using static URLs instead but we came to the
conclusion that it doesn't matter if you upload your sdf file to a web
hoster or just upload to this ftp instead.

Cheers,
Ivo

Re: The localization process will be changed into a continuous process soon

Pavel Janík
Hi,

> the ftp uses the openoffice accounts so it is not a real anonftp.
> We thought a bit about using static URLs instead but we came to the
> conclusion that it doesn't matter if you upload your sdf file to a
> web hoster or just upload to this ftp instead.

you can upload to your web hoster using SSL/TLS/SSH...
--
Pavel Janík

Re: The localization process will be changed into a continuous process soon

Kazunari Hirano
Hi Ivo, Gregor and Rafaella,

Thanks for the "continuous l10n" project. Sounds Good!

I will tell this good news to our Japanese translation team.

Thanks,
khirano
--
Kazunari Hirano - Marketing Project Coordinator - OpenOffice.org
Japanese Language Project

Re: [l10n-tools] The localization process will be changed into a continuous process soon

Dwayne Bailey

On 09/12/2010 14:51, Ivo Hinkelmann wrote:

> I am happy to announce that soon the localization process will be
> changed into a continuous process which will allow to provide l10n
> turnarounds cycles at every milestone. This process was presented at
> the OooConf In Budapest:
> http://www.ooocon.org/index.php/ooocon/2010/paper/view/207 and is the
> outcome of Gregor, Rafaella and myself working on the so called
> "continuous l10n" project.

This is great news :)

> Here below the major steps of this workflow:
> *it creates a cws named l10n<workstamp><milestone> , e.g. l10ndev300m94
> *it downloads all l10n from pootle
> *it downloads  all sdf found on
> ftp://qa-upload.services.openoffice.org/l10n/upload/ (no more sdf
> delivery via Issue. Translated sdf files can be uploaded to this ftp)
> *it gsichecks and merges the translated sdf files. Precondition is
> that language is known and is set up in the resource system.
Are you applying any of the po2oo checks?  These catch a few critical
errors that would ensure that broken translations are dropped, gsicheck
passes and at least a local lang build is made.
> *it builds languagepacks for all languages that have been changed
> (even when only 1 string has been changed) + one en-US insetsets
> *it removes automatically languages from the build which cause a build
> error not covered by the gsicheck, this allowing the other languages
> to be built.
> *it uploads the *_err.sdf from gsicheck
I wonder if its possible to use these *_err.sdf reports to report errors
to Pootle users for fixing?  That way any translator could step through
the GSI failure in Pootle and make corrections.

> *it uploads windows and linux32 languagepacks and the en-US insetsets
> to ftp://qa-upload.services.openoffice.org/l10n/download/
>
> Please help us testing this new process! How?
> *Check the language packs created by this process
> *Non-Pootle users should upload translated sdf files to
> ftp://qa-upload.services.openoffice.org/l10n/upload
>
> For a later stage we are planning to
> * commit the l10n
> * integrate every cws
> We are working already on a technical solution that will not blow up
> the main repository. We will not integrate those cws till we solve
> this issue.
>
> Cheers,
> Ivo

Dwayne Bailey
Associate             Research Director        +27 12 460 1095 (w)
Translate.org.za      ANLoc                    +27 83 443 7114 (c)

Recent blog posts:
* Localizing Mac OS X strings files using open source PO editors
http://www.translate.org.za/blogs/dwayne/en/content/localizing-mac-os-x-strings-files-using-open-source-po-editors
* What's new in Virtaal 0.6.1
* Localisation: How we guess the target translation language in Virtaal

Firefox web browser in Afrikaans - http://af.www.mozilla.com/af/
African Network for Localisation (ANLoc) - http://africanlocalisation.net/

Re: The localization process will be changed into a continuous process soon

Martin Srebotnjak
2010/12/9 Pavel Janík <[hidden email]>:
> Do you support "static" ie. non-Pootle URLs?
>
>> *Non-Pootle users should upload translated sdf files to
>> ftp://qa-upload.services.openoffice.org/l10n/upload
>
> Anonymous upload? Ups. isn't it better to fetch defined URLs?

It is easier to use fixed URLs, I guess, just as Pavel is using them
now, it makes our life easier.

Lp, m.

Re: The localization process will be changed into a continuous process soon

Ivo Hinkelmann-2
Hi,

after a short "tech talk" with Pavel I will use his list instead of the
upload ftp server. For downloading the ftp remains but you can download
as anon.

Cheers,
Ivo

On 10.12.2010 08:50, Martin Srebotnjak wrote:

> 2010/12/9 Pavel Janík<[hidden email]>:
>> Do you support "static" ie. non-Pootle URLs?
>>
>>> *Non-Pootle users should upload translated sdf files to
>>> ftp://qa-upload.services.openoffice.org/l10n/upload
>>
>> Anonymous upload? Ups. isn't it better to fetch defined URLs?
>
> It is easier to use fixed URLs, I guess, just as Pavel is using them
> now, it makes our life easier.
>
> Lp, m.

Re: The localization process will be changed into a continuous process soon

Ivo Hinkelmann-2
Hi,

while looking through all active languages in Pavels list I saw that
some are using Pootle. I will fetch those from Pootle instead:
pootle: ga cy et lt da lv uz sk bg vi ku bn

I will still fetch all those by URL:
non pootle: sl fi mk el nb nn km be-BY ro

Cheers,
Ivo

On 10.12.2010, at 12:38, Ivo Hinkelmann wrote:

> while looking through all active languages in Pavels list I saw
> that some are using Pootle. I will fetch those from Pootle instead:
> pootle: ga cy et lt da lv uz sk bg vi ku bn
>
> I will still fetch all those by URL:
> non pootle: sl fi mk el nb nn km be-BY ro

and cs please:

http://ftp.linux.cz/pub/localization/OpenOffice.org/devel/build/Files/
DEV300/GSI_cs.sdf.bz2

Take care, we use two lists - one for stable and another one for DEV
tree. You should be careful when merging...
--
Pavel Janík

Re: The localization process will be changed into a continuous process soon

Ivo Hinkelmann-2
Hi,

ok added Czech to the list.

Cheers,
Ivo

On 10.12.2010 12:41, Pavel Janík wrote:

> On 10.12.2010, at 12:38, Ivo Hinkelmann wrote:
>
>> while looking through all active languages in Pavels list I saw that
>> some are using Pootle. I will fetch those from Pootle instead:
>> pootle: ga cy et lt da lv uz sk bg vi ku bn
>>
>> I will still fetch all those by URL:
>> non pootle: sl fi mk el nb nn km be-BY ro
>
> and cs please:
>
> http://ftp.linux.cz/pub/localization/OpenOffice.org/devel/build/Files/DEV300/GSI_cs.sdf.bz2
>

> Take care, we use two lists - one for stable and another one for DEV
> tree. You should be careful when merging...

Re: The localization process will be changed into a continuous process soon

Michael Bauer
gd too please.

Michael

>> while looking through all active languages in Pavels list I saw that
>> some are using Pootle. I will fetch those from Pootle instead:
>> pootle: ga cy et lt da lv uz sk bg vi ku bn
>>
>> I will still fetch all those by URL:
>> non pootle: sl fi mk el nb nn km be-BY ro

--
*Akerbeltz*
Goireasan Gàidhlig air an lìon
<http://www.mozilla.com/gd/> ◦ Thunderbird sa Ghàidhlig
<http://www.mozillamessaging.com/gd/thunderbird/>*

Re: [l10n-tools] The localization process will be changed into a continuous process soon

Frank Mau-2
Hi Dwayne,
yes, we will try to use sdf-errors (coming out of gsicheck or future-tooling) to identify strings directly in Pootle so translation-problems/errors will directly visible for the translator. Currently we update Pootle for each milestone so continuous translation plus l10n-dev-builds (cont. l10n-builds) are possible for the latest milestone. We believe that's a very good way to have a 'real' cont. l10n process in the future.

Cheers,
Frank

Am 10.12.2010 08:22, schrieb Dwayne Bailey:

[...]

*Non-Pootle users should upload translated sdf files to ftp://qa-upload.services.openoffice.org/l10n/upload

For a later stage we are planning to
* commit the l10n
* integrate every cws
We are working already on a technical solution that will not blow up the main repository. We will not integrate those cws till we solve this issue.

Cheers,
Ivo

Dipl.-Ing. Frank Grzesiak-Mau | Translation, IssueTracking, Web-tools
Phone: +49 40 23646894
Oracle Oracle Open Office Operations

ORACLE Deutschland B.V. & Co. KG

Rijnzathe 6, 3454PV De Meern, Niederlande

Re: The localization process will be changed into a continuous process soon

Kevin Scannell-2
On Fri, Dec 10, 2010 at 5:38 AM, Ivo Hinkelmann
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> while looking through all active languages in Pavels list I saw that some
> are using Pootle. I will fetch those from Pootle instead:
> pootle: ga cy et lt da lv uz sk bg vi ku bn
>
> I will still fetch all those by URL:
> non pootle: sl fi mk el nb nn km be-BY ro
>
> Cheers,
> Ivo

One correction:
ga isn't a Pootle language - we've always provided SDF translations to
Pavel at this URL:
http://borel.slu.edu/obair/GSI_ga.sdf.bz2

Thanks
Kevin

Re: The localization process will be changed into a continuous process soon

Michael Bauer
Maybe he meant gd but typed ga? Common error ;)

Michael

--
*Akerbeltz*
Goireasan Gàidhlig air an lìon
Fòn: +44-141-946 4437
Facs: +44-141-945 2701
*Am Faclair Beag <http://www.faclair.com/> ◦ Akerbeltz
<http://www.akerbeltz.org> ◦ Firefox sa Ghàidhlig
<http://www.mozilla.com/gd/> ◦ Thunderbird sa Ghàidhlig
<http://www.mozillamessaging.com/gd/thunderbird/>*

Re: The localization process will be changed into a continuous process soon

Branislav Klocok-2
Dňa Pi 10. December 2010 Ivo Hinkelmann napísal (On Pi 10. December
2010 Ivo Hinkelmann wrote):
> while looking through all active languages in Pavels list I saw
> that  some are using Pootle. I will fetch those from Pootle
> instead: pootle: ga cy et lt da lv uz sk bg vi ku bn
>
> I will still fetch all those by URL:
> non pootle: sl fi mk el nb nn km be-BY ro

Hello Ivo,

The Slovak (sk) language in pootle is not up to date, please use
Pavel's url to the latest GSI. I will migrate Slovakian translation to
pootle in next several weeks, but still need to get my head around the
pros and cons.

Branislav Klocok
Email: [hidden email]
Skype: b_r_k_o
ICQ: 223396443
Jabber: [hidden email]

Re: The localization process will be changed into a continuous process soon

Andrea Pescetti
On 09/12/2010 Ivo Hinkelmann ha scritto:
> I am happy to announce that soon the localization process will be
> changed into a continuous process which will allow to provide l10n
> turnarounds cycles at every milestone.

Nice, it's a very promising development!

Out of curiosity: I see it is now meant to provide updates on the DEV300
codeline; could a (much simplified) version of it be used to deliver
updates to language packs for the current (OOO330) codeline?

I would see it as a convenient option for post-release localization
fixes; the latest version of OOo, 3.2.1, has been out for more than six
months, and we wondered if there could be a way to update (meaning: fix)
some Italian strings in this timeframe through a specific language pack.
It seems that a subset of the new process could allow something like
this. The main issue I see is with English strings that get removed from
the DEV300 codeline: if they get removed from Pootle too, then this
would require extra care.

Regards,
  Andrea Pescetti - Italian N-L Project Lead.

Re: The localization process will be changed into a continuous process soon

Ivo Hinkelmann-2
Hi Michael,

gd is part of the Pootle system, why you want provide your own file by
this URL list? We can only use one sdf file, from pootle or from this list.

Cheers,
Ivo

Michael Bauer wrote:

> gd too please.
>
> Michael
>

>>> while looking through all active languages in Pavels list I saw that
>>> some are using Pootle. I will fetch those from Pootle instead:
>>> pootle: ga cy et lt da lv uz sk bg vi ku bn
>>>
>>> I will still fetch all those by URL:
>>> non pootle: sl fi mk el nb nn km be-BY ro

Re: The localization process will be changed into a continuous process soon

Ivo Hinkelmann - Sun Germany -

there is an ga also in Pootle. Did you requested the migration to
Pootle? We can only use one file, either by Pootle or by this URL list.
So in case you don't use pootle we have to remove it there.

Cheers,
Ivo

Kevin Scannell wrote:

> On Fri, Dec 10, 2010 at 5:38 AM, Ivo Hinkelmann
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> while looking through all active languages in Pavels list I saw that some
>> are using Pootle. I will fetch those from Pootle instead:
>> pootle: ga cy et lt da lv uz sk bg vi ku bn
>>
>> I will still fetch all those by URL:
>> non pootle: sl fi mk el nb nn km be-BY ro
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Ivo
>>

> One correction:
> ga isn't a Pootle language - we've always provided SDF translations to
> Pavel at this URL:
> http://borel.slu.edu/obair/GSI_ga.sdf.bz2
>
> Thanks
> Kevin

Re: The localization process will be changed into a continuous process soon

Michael Bauer
Sorry, you're right, my mistake!

Michael

13/12/2010 11:55, Sgrìobh Ivo Hinkelmann: