Time Sheet

Jan Macdonald
Hello OpenOffice,

Wow ~ this is one complicated program.  During my career I used Excel, what a breeze. Then for a fun part-time job post-retirement I was directed to use OpenOffice.  It’s a challenge!

I have a time sheet that is showing the $ sign in the hour column. So for example if I worked five hours it displays $5.00. How can I remove the dollar sign and still have the format add my hours?

Thank you!

Jan MacDonald

Re: Time Sheet

Steven Ahlers
Jan,

The cell is formatted to display numbers as money ($). It should be formatted as either plain integer, decimal or time (hh:mm:ss).

As a courtesy I have sent a copy of this to you as you may not be subscribed to the users group mailing list.  Please reply to: [hidden email] so that all users can assist you if you have any further questions.

Sent from my iPhone

> On Mar 26, 2020, at 6:00 PM, Jan Macdonald <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hello OpenOffice,
>
> Wow ~ this is one complicated program.  During my career I used Excel, what a breeze. Then for a fun part-time job post-retirement I was directed to use OpenOffice.  It’s a challenge!
>
> I have a time sheet that is showing the $ sign in the hour column. So for example if I worked five hours it displays $5.00. How can I remove the dollar sign and still have the format add my hours?
>
> Thank you!
>
> Jan MacDonald

Re: Time Sheet

Richard Beeston
Hi Jan

At the top of the column above line 1 there is usually a letter from A - Z
or similar

Right click on the letter and it should come up with a "option box that ha
Format Cells. Click on this button and another box will come up with other
options that has some or all of the following options Date, Time, Currency
Number Custom etc Click on the number option if you just want ordinary
numbers and it will give you further options as to where you want decimal
places or click on the time and it will arrange the times for you. Then save
the spreadsheet

Hope this helps
Richard Beeston

Re: Time Sheet

Johnny Rosenberg
Den fre 27 mars 2020 kl 00:00 skrev Jan Macdonald <[hidden email]>:

> Hello OpenOffice,
>
> Wow ~ this is one complicated program.  During my career I used Excel,
> what a breeze. Then for a fun part-time job post-retirement I was directed
> to use OpenOffice.  It’s a challenge!
>
> I have a time sheet that is showing the $ sign in the hour column. So for
> example if I worked five hours it displays $5.00. How can I remove the
> dollar sign and still have the format add my hours?

You do it exactly the same way as you do it in Excel, so this should be a
breeze too.

Kind regards

Johnny Rosenberg

> Thank you!
>
> Jan MacDonald

Re: Time Sheet

Jan Macdonald
Hello Johnny,

My time sheet was originally in Excel and must have been automatically formatted to OpenOffice when I originally saved it on my Mac.  So possibly the dollar sign could have defaulted from this transition?  When the spreadsheet is open I go to format ~ cell protection ~ numbers, then I have a list starting with:

All
User ~ defined
Number
Percent

I have no idea how to change this as I’ve tried several things to no avail. All I need the time sheet column to do is add up my hours and not display a dollar sign. If you know how to change this please share. If not no worries.

Thank you!

Jan

> On Mar 27, 2020, at 12:34 PM, Johnny Rosenberg <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Den fre 27 mars 2020 kl 00:00 skrev Jan Macdonald <[hidden email]>:
>
>> Hello OpenOffice,
>>
>> Wow ~ this is one complicated program.  During my career I used Excel,
>> what a breeze. Then for a fun part-time job post-retirement I was directed
>> to use OpenOffice.  It’s a challenge!
>>
>> I have a time sheet that is showing the $ sign in the hour column. So for
>> example if I worked five hours it displays $5.00. How can I remove the
>> dollar sign and still have the format add my hours?
>>

> You do it exactly the same way as you do it in Excel, so this should be a
> breeze too.
>

> Kind regards
>
> Johnny Rosenberg
>

>> Thank you!
>>
>> Jan MacDonald

Re: Time Sheet

David Belina-2

Try just selecting Number as that seems to be what you want.  Does your screen look like the attached?

On March 27, 2020 at 2:47:46 PM, Jan Macdonald ([hidden email]) wrote:

Hello Johnny,

My time sheet was originally in Excel and must have been automatically formatted to OpenOffice when I originally saved it on my Mac. So possibly the dollar sign could have defaulted from this transition? When the spreadsheet is open I go to format ~ cell protection ~ numbers, then I have a list starting with:

All
User ~ defined
Number
Percent

I have no idea how to change this as I’ve tried several things to no avail. All I need the time sheet column to do is add up my hours and not display a dollar sign. If you know how to change this please share. If not no worries.

Thank you!

Jan

> On Mar 27, 2020, at 12:34 PM, Johnny Rosenberg <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Den fre 27 mars 2020 kl 00:00 skrev Jan Macdonald <[hidden email]>:
>
>> Hello OpenOffice,
>>
>> Wow ~ this is one complicated program. During my career I used Excel,
>> what a breeze. Then for a fun part-time job post-retirement I was directed
>> to use OpenOffice. It’s a challenge!
>>
>> I have a time sheet that is showing the $ sign in the hour column. So for
>> example if I worked five hours it displays $5.00. How can I remove the
>> dollar sign and still have the format add my hours?
>>

> You do it exactly the same way as you do it in Excel, so this should be a
> breeze too.
>

> Kind regards
>
> Johnny Rosenberg
>

>> Thank you!
>>
>> Jan MacDonald

Re: Time Sheet:Suggestion from an outsider to fix $ in spreadsheet= use find and replace - Don Minow

Don Minow