Time for our first 4.2.0 beta?

123

Time for our first 4.2.0 beta?

Jim Jagielski
I think we are at a stage where we should consider doing our
1st beta release of 4.2.0... we have successful builds for macOS,
Linux 32 and 64, and Windows; we have a stable 4.2.0-dev branch,
and enough changes to warrant a beta release for testing and
feedback (all IMO ;) ).

Any comments or other thoughts?

Re: Time for our first 4.2.0 beta?

Mechtilde Stehmann-2
Hello Jim,

the beta version should contain the recent translation, so I will start
to prepare an update of the *.sdf files.

Kind regards

--
Mechtilde Stehmann
## Apache OpenOffice

Re: Time for our first 4.2.0 beta?

Jim Jagielski
Perfect, thx.

Just so I know, what's the procedure for us doing beta releases? Where do they go?

> On Jan 28, 2019, at 12:31 PM, Mechtilde <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hello Jim,
>
> the beta version should contain the recent translation, so I will start
> to prepare an update of the *.sdf files.
>
> Kind regards
>
> Am 28.01.19 um 14:20 schrieb Jim Jagielski:
>> I think we are at a stage where we should consider doing our
>> 1st beta release of 4.2.0... we have successful builds for macOS,
>> Linux 32 and 64, and Windows; we have a stable 4.2.0-dev branch,
>> and enough changes to warrant a beta release for testing and
>> feedback (all IMO ;) ).
>>
>> Any comments or other thoughts?
>>

> --
> Mechtilde Stehmann
> ## Apache OpenOffice
> ## Freie Office Suite für Linux, MacOSX, Windows
> ## Debian Developer
> ## PGP encryption welcome
> ## F0E3 7F3D C87A 4998 2899  39E7 F287 7BBA 141A AD7F

Re: Time for our first 4.2.0 beta?

Marcus (OOo)
Am 28.01.19 um 19:39 schrieb Jim Jagielski:
> Perfect, thx.
>
> Just so I know, what's the procedure for us doing beta releases? Where do they go?

this will be our first beta release here at Apache. So, nobody can tell
you what to do / where to go and we have to find the way together. ;-)

I would say we should not do things different (at least not too many)
compared to our normal releases.

After thinking a bit I suggest that we:

- exchange the splash screen with a big and clear hint that it's a beta
(no production use, no regular support, etc.)
- prepare the install files as a normal release but with special file names
- no participation with the update service
- upload the install files to SourceForge in an own subdir
- offer them on our download webpage

I don't know how we can to collect the feedback. BZ is not the right
channel for this. Can we create a special beta area in the forums? What
I mean is, is there enough coverage of moderators and power users?

Marcus

>> On Jan 28, 2019, at 12:31 PM, Mechtilde <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hello Jim,
>>
>> the beta version should contain the recent translation, so I will start
>> to prepare an update of the *.sdf files.
>>
>> Kind regards
>>
>> Am 28.01.19 um 14:20 schrieb Jim Jagielski:
>>> I think we are at a stage where we should consider doing our
>>> 1st beta release of 4.2.0... we have successful builds for macOS,
>>> Linux 32 and 64, and Windows; we have a stable 4.2.0-dev branch,
>>> and enough changes to warrant a beta release for testing and
>>> feedback (all IMO ;) ).
>>>
>>> Any comments or other thoughts?

Re: Time for our first 4.2.0 beta?

Matthias Seidel
Hi Marcus,

Am 28.01.19 um 20:30 schrieb Marcus:
> Am 28.01.19 um 19:39 schrieb Jim Jagielski:
>> Perfect, thx.
>>
>> Just so I know, what's the procedure for us doing beta releases?
>> Where do they go?
>
> this will be our first beta release here at Apache. So, nobody can
> tell you what to do / where to go and we have to find the way
> together. ;-)

It is "our" second: ;-)

https://archive.apache.org/dist/openoffice/4.1.0-beta/

> I would say we should not do things different (at least not too many)
> compared to our normal releases.
>
> After thinking a bit I suggest that we:
>
> - exchange the splash screen with a big and clear hint that it's a
> beta (no production use, no regular support, etc.)
> - prepare the install files as a normal release but with special file
> names
A build with the special targets (openofficebeta, sdkoobeta,
ooobetalanguagepack) will do this automatically.
> - no participation with the update service

--disable-online-update in configure.

> - upload the install files to SourceForge in an own subdir
> - offer them on our download webpage

If the download page can handle that, it would be perfect.

Matthias

smime.p7s (5K) Download Attachment

Re: Time for our first 4.2.0 beta?

Matthias Seidel
Hi Jim,

Am 28.01.19 um 19:39 schrieb Jim Jagielski:
> Perfect, thx.
>
> Just so I know, what's the procedure for us doing beta releases? Where do they go?

Just a general reminder:

A bunch of people, including Mechtilde, Andrea and me will be at FOSDEM
in Brussels next weekend.

I have some last preparations to do, so my time is limited until early
next week...

Regards,

   Matthias

>> On Jan 28, 2019, at 12:31 PM, Mechtilde <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hello Jim,
>>
>> the beta version should contain the recent translation, so I will start
>> to prepare an update of the *.sdf files.
>>
>> Kind regards
>>
>> Am 28.01.19 um 14:20 schrieb Jim Jagielski:
>>> I think we are at a stage where we should consider doing our
>>> 1st beta release of 4.2.0... we have successful builds for macOS,
>>> Linux 32 and 64, and Windows; we have a stable 4.2.0-dev branch,
>>> and enough changes to warrant a beta release for testing and
>>> feedback (all IMO ;) ).
>>>
>>> Any comments or other thoughts?
>>>

>> --
>> Mechtilde Stehmann
>> ## Apache OpenOffice
>> ## Freie Office Suite für Linux, MacOSX, Windows
>> ## Debian Developer
>> ## PGP encryption welcome
>> ## F0E3 7F3D C87A 4998 2899  39E7 F287 7BBA 141A AD7F

smime.p7s (5K) Download Attachment

Re: Time for our first 4.2.0 beta?

Marcus (OOo)

> Am 28.01.19 um 20:30 schrieb Marcus:
>> Am 28.01.19 um 19:39 schrieb Jim Jagielski:
>>> Perfect, thx.
>>>
>>> Just so I know, what's the procedure for us doing beta releases?
>>> Where do they go?
>>
>> this will be our first beta release here at Apache. So, nobody can
>> tell you what to do / where to go and we have to find the way
>> together. ;-)
>
> It is "our" second: ;-)
>
> https://archive.apache.org/dist/openoffice/4.1.0-beta/

OK, this is a bit embarrassing. ;-)

>> I would say we should not do things different (at least not too many)
>> compared to our normal releases.
>>
>> After thinking a bit I suggest that we:
>>
>> - exchange the splash screen with a big and clear hint that it's a
>> beta (no production use, no regular support, etc.)

When we had already a Beta release then this must be somewhere.

>> - prepare the install files as a normal release but with special file
>> names
> A build with the special targets (openofficebeta, sdkoobeta,
> ooobetalanguagepack) will do this automatically.
>> - no participation with the update service
>
> --disable-online-update in configure.
>
>> - upload the install files to SourceForge in an own subdir
>> - offer them on our download webpage
>
> If the download page can handle that, it would be perfect.

I think it's a matter of time to get this integrated. But should be
faster than the test phase for the Beta itself.

Marcus

Am 28.01.19 um 21:23 schrieb Marcus:

>>> this will be our first beta release here at Apache. So, nobody can
>>> tell you what to do / where to go and we have to find the way
>>> together. ;-)
>>
>> It is "our" second: ;-)
>>
>> https://archive.apache.org/dist/openoffice/4.1.0-beta/
>
> OK, this is a bit embarrassing. ;-)
>
>>> I would say we should not do things different (at least not too many)
>>> compared to our normal releases.
>>>
>>> After thinking a bit I suggest that we:
>>>
>>> - exchange the splash screen with a big and clear hint that it's a
>>> beta (no production use, no regular support, etc.)
>
> When we had already a Beta release then this must be somewhere.
See below.

I already made an early test build for a Beta some time ago...

>>> - prepare the install files as a normal release but with special file
>>> names
>> A build with the special targets (openofficebeta, sdkoobeta,
>> ooobetalanguagepack) will do this automatically.
>>> - no participation with the update service
>>
>> --disable-online-update in configure.
>>
>>> - upload the install files to SourceForge in an own subdir
>>> - offer them on our download webpage
>>
>> If the download page can handle that, it would be perfect.
>
> I think it's a matter of time to get this integrated. But should be
> faster than the test phase for the Beta itself.
Personally, I don't think we are at Beta stage already... But we
definitely have to work towards it! ;-)

Matthias

> Marcus
>

>>> I don't know how we can to collect the feedback. BZ is not the right
>>> channel for this. Can we create a special beta area in the forums?
>>> What I mean is, is there enough coverage of moderators and power users?
>>>
>>> Marcus

smime.p7s (5K) Download Attachment

Re: Time for our first 4.2.0 beta?

F C. Costero
I am a moderator on the en forum but I am speaking only for myself here. I
think gathering feedback on the forum would be a good solution. The en
forum has a User Experience area that gets very little traffic and could
perhaps be used to gather beta build input. Feedback in languages other
than English could be gathered on the appropriate forums, though they may
need to make a dedicated area. It would be nice to widen the range of
participants beyond people comfortable in English.

I am not sure what the concern is behind the comment "What I mean is, is
there enough coverage of moderators and power users?". On the en forum we
have close to 24 hour coverage of moderators and volunteers and I don't
think an increase in traffic from a beta build would be a problem. The es
forum is the only other one I have experience with and I think there are
plenty of moderators and volunteers there to handle an increase in traffic,
though I obviously have not asked them about this.

I would be happy to make note on this list of interesting or repeated input
about a beta build appearing on the en or es forums.

Stating the correct way to give feedback on the Splash screen should be
considered.

best regards,
Francis

On Mon, Jan 28, 2019 at 12:53 PM Marcus <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Am 28.01.19 um 19:39 schrieb Jim Jagielski:
> > Perfect, thx.
> >
> > Just so I know, what's the procedure for us doing beta releases? Where
> do they go?
>
> this will be our first beta release here at Apache. So, nobody can tell
> you what to do / where to go and we have to find the way together. ;-)
>
> I would say we should not do things different (at least not too many)
> compared to our normal releases.
>
> After thinking a bit I suggest that we:
>
> - exchange the splash screen with a big and clear hint that it's a beta
> (no production use, no regular support, etc.)
> - prepare the install files as a normal release but with special file names
> - no participation with the update service
> - upload the install files to SourceForge in an own subdir
> - offer them on our download webpage
>
> I don't know how we can to collect the feedback. BZ is not the right
> channel for this. Can we create a special beta area in the forums? What
> I mean is, is there enough coverage of moderators and power users?
>
> Marcus
>

> >> On Jan 28, 2019, at 12:31 PM, Mechtilde <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >>
> >> Hello Jim,
> >>
> >> the beta version should contain the recent translation, so I will start
> >> to prepare an update of the *.sdf files.
> >>
> >> Kind regards

Re: Time for our first 4.2.0 beta?

Peter Kovacs-3

On 28.01.19 21:32, Matthias Seidel wrote:

> Personally, I don't think we are at Beta stage already... But we
> definitely have to work towards it! ;-)
>
> Matthias

What is missing?

I am happy on the progress.

Am 28.01.19 um 23:20 schrieb Peter Kovacs:
> On 28.01.19 21:32, Matthias Seidel wrote:
>> Personally, I don't think we are at Beta stage already... But we
>> definitely have to work towards it! ;-)
>>
>> Matthias
>
> What is missing?

I can simply crash it with two clicks... ;-)

That bug is 4 1/2 years old now.

> I am happy on the progress.
So am I.

smime.p7s (5K) Download Attachment

Re: Time for our first 4.2.0 beta?

Marcus (OOo)

>>> It is "our" second: ;-)
>>>
>>> https://archive.apache.org/dist/openoffice/4.1.0-beta/
>>
>> OK, this is a bit embarrassing. ;-)

>> When we had already a Beta release then this must be somewhere.
>
> See below.
>
> I already made an early test build for a Beta some time ago...

sorry, actually I meant the about box. Do we have also for this a
special graphic and text content?

Marcus

Am 28.01.19 um 23:52 schrieb Marcus:

>>> OK, this is a bit embarrassing. ;-)

>>> When we had already a Beta release then this must be somewhere.
>>
>> See below.
>>
>> I already made an early test build for a Beta some time ago...
>
> sorry, actually I meant the about box. Do we have also for this a
> special graphic and text content?
There are beta graphics [1] [2] [3] and the text can be changed via
configure switch (as we do with our buildbots)

As I wrote, the appropriate graphics are used by building the beta targets.

Matthias

[1]
https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/openoffice/branches/AOO42X/main/default_images/introabout/beta/about.png
[2]
https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/openoffice/branches/AOO42X/main/default_images/introabout/beta/intro.png
[3]
https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/openoffice/branches/AOO42X/main/default_images/framework/res/beta/backing.png

> Marcus

>>> I think it's a matter of time to get this integrated. But should be
>>> faster than the test phase for the Beta itself.
>>
>> Personally, I don't think we are at Beta stage already... But we
>> definitely have to work towards it! ;-)
>>
>> Matthias
>>

>>> Marcus

smime.p7s (5K) Download Attachment

Re: Time for our first 4.2.0 beta?

Pedro Lino-3
Hi Jim, all

>     I think we are at a stage where we should consider doing our
>     1st beta release of 4.2.0... we have successful builds for macOS,
>     Linux 32 and 64, and Windows; we have a stable 4.2.0-dev branch,
>     and enough changes to warrant a beta release for testing and
>     feedback (all IMO ;) ).

Is this going to be an English only Beta test? Only English and a couple more
languages (de, nl, ...) have a complete 4.2.0 translation

>     Any comments or other thoughts?

Shouldn't AOO be concerned that previous users are not notified of new releases
(or extension updates)? The update notification mechanism has been broken for months. This means that  users
currently on any previous build weren't even notified that 4.1.6 was released 2 months ago...

I realize that the update notification is working on 4.2.0 but how are users going to be notified to update to 4.2.0?

Regards,
Pedro

On Jan 28, 2019, at 3:23 PM, Marcus <[hidden email]> wrote:

Am 28.01.19 um 20:30 schrieb Marcus:
Am 28.01.19 um 19:39 schrieb Jim Jagielski:
Perfect, thx.

Just so I know, what's the procedure for us doing beta releases?
Where do they go?

this will be our first beta release here at Apache. So, nobody can
tell you what to do / where to go and we have to find the way
together. ;-)
It is "our" second: ;-)
https://archive.apache.org/dist/openoffice/4.1.0-beta/

OK, this is a bit embarrassing. ;-)

I would say we should not do things different (at least not too many)
compared to our normal releases.

After thinking a bit I suggest that we:

- exchange the splash screen with a big and clear hint that it's a
beta (no production use, no regular support, etc.)

When we had already a Beta release then this must be somewhere.

At least on the macOS build, 'beta' is splashed quite obviously:

Am 29.01.19 um 13:28 schrieb Jim Jagielski:

[...]

Yes, that is what I am referring to.
I made a beta build for Windows a year ago and remember having the same discussion back then...

Do you also build SDK and language pack as beta? See:

https://archive.apache.org/dist/openoffice/4.1.0-beta/binaries/

smime.p7s (5K) Download Attachment

Re: Time for our first 4.2.0 beta?

Marcus (OOo)

> Hi Jim,
>
> Am 29.01.19 um 13:28 schrieb Jim Jagielski:
>>

>>> On Jan 28, 2019, at 3:23 PM, Marcus <[hidden email]
>>> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:

>>> OK, this is a bit embarrassing. ;-)

>>> When we had already a Beta release then this must be somewhere.
>>>

>> At least on the macOS build, 'beta' is splashed quite obviously:
>
> Yes, that is what I am referring to.
> I made a beta build for Windows a year ago and remember having the same
> discussion back then...

sorry to ask, do you have also a screenshot for the About box?

Thanks

Marcus

Am 29.01.19 um 13:05 schrieb Pedro Lino:

>>      I think we are at a stage where we should consider doing our
>>      1st beta release of 4.2.0... we have successful builds for macOS,
>>      Linux 32 and 64, and Windows; we have a stable 4.2.0-dev branch,
>>      and enough changes to warrant a beta release for testing and
>>      feedback (all IMO ;) ).
>>
> Is this going to be an English only Beta test? Only English and a couple more
> languages (de, nl, ...) have a complete 4.2.0 translation

for every language we should take the following factors into account:

- translation ratio = 0 - 100 % --> larger is better
- the last activites = days/weeks ago or years --> shorter is better

With this we should create a list with supported languages.

>>      Any comments or other thoughts?
>>
> Shouldn't AOO be concerned that previous users are not notified of new releases
> (or extension updates)? The update notification mechanism has been broken for months. This means that  users
> currently on any previous build weren't even notified that 4.1.6 was released 2 months ago...
>
> I realize that the update notification is working on 4.2.0 but how are users going to be notified to update to 4.2.0?

If you mean the Beta release:
We shouldn't activate the update service - because it's just a Beta
which not suitable for any production use.

Marcus

Am 29.01.19 um 20:14 schrieb Marcus:

>> Hi Jim,

>>> At least on the macOS build, 'beta' is splashed quite obviously:
>>
>> Yes, that is what I am referring to.
>> I made a beta build for Windows a year ago and remember having the
>> same discussion back then...
>
> sorry to ask, do you have also a screenshot for the About box?
No problem, but I would have to install a beta first... ;-)
(In fact I am just building a new one)

Maybe Jim can provide a screenshot.

Regards,

   Matthias

Am 28.01.19 um 21:58 schrieb F C. Costero:
> I am a moderator on the en forum but I am speaking only for myself here. I
> think gathering feedback on the forum would be a good solution. The en
> forum has a User Experience area that gets very little traffic and could
> perhaps be used to gather beta build input. Feedback in languages other
> than English could be gathered on the appropriate forums, though they may
> need to make a dedicated area. It would be nice to widen the range of
> participants beyond people comfortable in English.

thanks for your input.

> I am not sure what the concern is behind the comment "What I mean is, is
> there enough coverage of moderators and power users?". On the en forum we

When we tell the people "Please visit our forums when you have problems
or feedback for improvements" there should be enough people for coverage
to collect that feedback. It would be too bad when the users don't get
feedback or way too late. ;-)

> have close to 24 hour coverage of moderators and volunteers and I don't
> think an increase in traffic from a beta build would be a problem. The es
> forum is the only other one I have experience with and I think there are
> plenty of moderators and volunteers there to handle an increase in traffic,
> though I obviously have not asked them about this.

OK, that sounds good. In the worst case the en forums in an special Beta
release area could take some more languages - of course only as exception.

> I would be happy to make note on this list of interesting or repeated input
> about a beta build appearing on the en or es forums.

At the moment we are just discussing what is possible to decide later
what to do.

> Stating the correct way to give feedback on the Splash screen should be
> considered.

The splash screen is not the best place as it's shown too short. ;-)
That was my mistake.

But the About box, download webpage, release announcement, release
notes, blog post are way better to tell the people what to expect and
where to go.

Marcus