Total disaster

Andrew Lunn
I have spent many years on writing manuscripts with a view to attracting a
publishing deal.  I had been using Open Office.  I recently upgraded my pc
and decided to continue using Open Office so downloaded the new free
install.  I had already copied over my manuscripts from the old pc to the
new one via a memory stick.  I opened the document to make an alteration to
some text in the opening pages of my novel.  I could not believe what I
saw.  Font sizes were all over the place, some sentences were 12 point,
some 10 point, sentences chopped at random, bold and italicised text where
it was not bolded or italicised originally.  And worst of all when I try to
correct it all it doesn't correct anything.  Fortunately for me, I back up
all my work and I still have the original copy of my manuscripts on my old
pc which still has the old Open Office suite I had been using.  How can I
get my pages back to how they should look on my new pc?

regards,

Andrew

Re: Total disaster

Rory O'Farrell
On Mon, 15 Mar 2021 16:01:59 +0000
Andrew Lunn <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I have spent many years on writing manuscripts with a view to attracting a
> publishing deal.  I had been using Open Office.  I recently upgraded my pc
> and decided to continue using Open Office so downloaded the new free
> install.  I had already copied over my manuscripts from the old pc to the
> new one via a memory stick.  I opened the document to make an alteration to
> some text in the opening pages of my novel.  I could not believe what I
> saw.  Font sizes were all over the place, some sentences were 12 point,
> some 10 point, sentences chopped at random, bold and italicised text where
> it was not bolded or italicised originally.  And worst of all when I try to
> correct it all it doesn't correct anything.  Fortunately for me, I back up
> all my work and I still have the original copy of my manuscripts on my old
> pc which still has the old Open Office suite I had been using.  How can I
> get my pages back to how they should look on my new pc?
>
> regards,
>
> Andrew

Start by ensuring that the same fonts are installed on new computer as on the old.  Windows 10, which I assume you are using for want of information, installs and uses a different font selection to earlier versions of Windows.   From what you say, I think you have used Direct Formatting, rather than Styles, which is OpenOffice's preferred way to work. Direct formatting often leads to trouble.

Also, in what format was your document Saved - .doc or .odt?  .doc does not have the sane format reliability as .odt (OpenOffice's native format).  That you cannot Save a change to your document is good at present, as it may be in read-only format due  to missing permissions on your new computer.  Until you have the document formatted to your liking, do not (repeat: _DO NOT_) Save over the transferred file; use a different file name.

Many have found this document of assistance:
https://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Documentation/Writer_for_Students

--
Rory O'Farrell <[hidden email]>

Re: Total disaster

Robin Lord
If direct formatting is to blame it may be useful to cut and paste the whole document onto a new document using cntr/shift /alt /v which pastes it without any formatting, then create required styles as necessary and apply as necessary

On Mon, 15 Mar 2021, at 16:39, Rory O'Farrell wrote:

> On Mon, 15 Mar 2021 16:01:59 +0000
> Andrew Lunn <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > I have spent many years on writing manuscripts with a view to attracting a
> > publishing deal.  I had been using Open Office.  I recently upgraded my pc
> > and decided to continue using Open Office so downloaded the new free
> > install.  I had already copied over my manuscripts from the old pc to the
> > new one via a memory stick.  I opened the document to make an alteration to
> > some text in the opening pages of my novel.  I could not believe what I
> > saw.  Font sizes were all over the place, some sentences were 12 point,
> > some 10 point, sentences chopped at random, bold and italicised text where
> > it was not bolded or italicised originally.  And worst of all when I try to
> > correct it all it doesn't correct anything.  Fortunately for me, I back up
> > all my work and I still have the original copy of my manuscripts on my old
> > pc which still has the old Open Office suite I had been using.  How can I
> > get my pages back to how they should look on my new pc?
> >
> > regards,
> >
> > Andrew
>
> Start by ensuring that the same fonts are installed on new computer as
> on the old.  Windows 10, which I assume you are using for want of
> information, installs and uses a different font selection to earlier
> versions of Windows.   From what you say, I think you have used Direct
> Formatting, rather than Styles, which is OpenOffice's preferred way to
> work. Direct formatting often leads to trouble.
>
> Also, in what format was your document Saved - .doc or .odt?  .doc does
> not have the sane format reliability as .odt (OpenOffice's native
> format).  That you cannot Save a change to your document is good at
> present, as it may be in read-only format due  to missing permissions
> on your new computer.  Until you have the document formatted to your
> liking, do not (repeat: _DO NOT_) Save over the transferred file; use a
> different file name.
>
> Many have found this document of assistance:
> https://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Documentation/Writer_for_Students
>
> --
> Rory O'Farrell <[hidden email]>

Best Regards