Transfering custom syles from an old document

Transfering custom syles from an old document

Keith N. McKenna
I have a document originally done on a system I no longer have access to
which has custom styles I would like to use for a new project. Is there
an easier way to to transfer them from that document to my present
system than opening the old document and a new one and recreating then
one by on in the new document?

Thanks in advance for your advice
Keith

Re: Transfering custom syles from an old document

David Robley
You may find your solution in
https://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Documentation/OOoAuthors_User_Manual/Writer_Guide/Copying_and_moving_styles

On 4/6/20 10:45 am, Keith N. McKenna wrote:
> I have a document originally done on a system I no longer have access to
> which has custom styles I would like to use for a new project. Is there
> an easier way to to transfer them from that document to my present
> system than opening the old document and a new one and recreating then
> one by on in the new document?
>
> Thanks in advance for your advice
> Keith

Cheers
--
David Robley

One way to stop a runaway horse is to bet on him.

Re: Transfering custom syles from an old document

Dan Lewis
Yes, this can be done using the Styles and Formatting dialog. How to
change styles in a document is described in the Writer Guide for AOO.
You may need to do a search to download it. In addition, you should also
use these custom styles to create a template for future use. That will
give you access to these styles anytime you need it. How to do this is
also explained in the Writer Guide. (It is an excellent source for how
to use the Writer component for AOO when doing any number of tasks.) I
no longer use AOO, so I can not give you complete instructions, but in
the long term you need to know what is contained in this guide. Download
it and study its contents.

Dan

On 6/3/2020 9:32 PM, David Robley wrote:
> You may find your solution in
> https://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Documentation/OOoAuthors_User_Manual/Writer_Guide/Copying_and_moving_styles

David;

Thanks for the link it is exactly what I needed.

Regards
Keith

On 6/3/2020 9:35 PM, Dan Lewis wrote:

> Yes, this can be done using the Styles and Formatting dialog. How to
> change styles in a document is described in the Writer Guide for AOO.
> You may need to do a search to download it. In addition, you should also
> use these custom styles to create a template for future use. That will
> give you access to these styles anytime you need it. How to do this is
> also explained in the Writer Guide. (It is an excellent source for how
> to use the Writer component for AOO when doing any number of tasks.) I
> no longer use AOO, so I can not give you complete instructions, but in
> the long term you need to know what is contained in this guide. Download
> it and study its contents.
>
> Dan
Dan;

Thanks for advice David had already given me a link for the Guide. The
reason I wanted to copy the styles was to create a template that would
give all the documents in the project a standard look and feel.

Regards
Keith