Transition of Open Office to Catalina on a Mac Book Pro

Transition of Open Office to Catalina on a Mac Book Pro

Nancy Springs
I had been using Open Office for years on my old and new Mac Book Pro. However, when I updated to Catalina - Apple’s latest OS version 10:15:3 a few days ago,  I have lost the ability to use Open Office and all of my documents and spread sheets on that current version.
Is there anyway I can upload a newer version and which one should I use for a Mac Book Pro?
Also, if I download a new Open Office version - is there any way, I can retrieve my old files from the previous version?
Thanks so much for your help. Nancy Springs

Re: Transition of Open Office to Catalina on a Mac Book Pro

Steven Ahlers
Nancy,

Yes you need to update OpenOffice on all of your computers. Only download from: https://www.openoffice.org/download/index.html the official site. Make sure you read and follow all directions, such as dealing with the Gatekeeper.

As a courtesy I have sent a copy of this email to you. If you are not subscribed to the users group you may not see all responses.

Please reply with any further questions to: [hidden email]

Yes, once you’ve updated the software you will be able to access your existing files.

Sent from my iPhone

> On Mar 11, 2020, at 12:10 PM, Nancy Springs <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I had been using Open Office for years on my old and new Mac Book Pro. However, when I updated to Catalina - Apple’s latest OS version 10:15:3 a few days ago,  I have lost the ability to use Open Office and all of my documents and spread sheets on that current version.
> Is there anyway I can upload a newer version and which one should I use for a Mac Book Pro?
> Also, if I download a new Open Office version - is there any way, I can retrieve my old files from the previous version?
> Thanks so much for your help. Nancy Springs

Re: Transition of Open Office to Catalina on a Mac Book Pro

Rory O'Farrell
On Wed, 11 Mar 2020 13:45:59 -0500
Steven Ahlers <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Nancy,
>
> Yes you need to update OpenOffice on all of your computers. Only download from: https://www.openoffice.org/download/index.html the official site. Make sure you read and follow all directions, such as dealing with the Gatekeeper.
>
> As a courtesy I have sent a copy of this email to you. If you are not subscribed to the users group you may not see all responses.
>
> Please reply with any further questions to: [hidden email]
>
> Yes, once you’ve updated the software you will be able to access your existing files.
>
> Sent from my iPhone

The information above is correct; when the OpenOffice for Catalina is installed, you may not see your recent documents on the OO Recent Documents list. This is only a lit of shortcuts to their locations on your computer.  If in OO you use /File /Open and navigate to the folders in which the files were saved, as you open each file it will then appear on the recent documents list.

RoryOF

> > On Mar 11, 2020, at 12:10 PM, Nancy Springs <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > I had been using Open Office for years on my old and new Mac Book Pro. However, when I updated to Catalina - Apple’s latest OS version 10:15:3 a few days ago,  I have lost the ability to use Open Office and all of my documents and spread sheets on that current version.
> > Is there anyway I can upload a newer version and which one should I use for a Mac Book Pro?
> > Also, if I download a new Open Office version - is there any way, I can retrieve my old files from the previous version?
> > Thanks so much for your help. Nancy Springs

Rory O'Farrell <[hidden email]>