Trying to delete OO icon from Mac desktop,since it's already installed in Applications folder

Trying to delete OO icon from Mac desktop,since it's already installed in Applications folder

Dan at News Media Services

Greetings,

Running OO 4.1.6 on Mac OS (Mojave 10.14.4) - Chrome browser

OO icon refuses to be ejected from my desktop - OO software already is installed in my MacBook Pro Applications folder, along with an alias (see attachment).

When I right click on the OO desktop icon, and select “Eject OpenOffice” from the pop-up list, notice appears, "'OpenOffice' wasn’t ejected because one or more programs may be using it." (see attachment).

Thanks in advance for your expertise..

Re: Trying to delete OO icon from Mac desktop,since it's already installed in Applications folder

David Robley
You may have the OpenOffice Quickstarter running; look in OpenOffice |
Preferences | OpenOffice | Memory and see if that option is checked. If
it is, you should be able to kill the process from the command line if
you are familiar with the relevant tools - ps and kill - or you could
uncheck the option and reboot.

go to http://openoffice.apache.org/mailing-lists.html As a courtesy I
have sent a copy of this reply to you as well as to the mailing list. Do
Not reply to me personally but just to the list at
will be ignored.

On 20/5/19 9:49 am, Dan at News Media Services wrote:

> Greetings,
>
> Running OO 4.1.6 on Mac OS (Mojave 10.14.4) - Chrome browser
>
> OO icon refuses to be ejected from my desktop - OO software already is
> installed in my MacBook Pro Applications folder, along with an alias
> (see attachment).
>
> When I right click on the OO desktop icon, and select “Eject
> OpenOffice” from the pop-up list, notice appears, /"'OpenOffice'
> wasn’t ejected because one or more programs may be using it."/ (see
> attachment).
>
> Thanks in advance for your expertise..

Cheers
--
David Robley

I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally.

Fwd: Re: Trying to delete OO icon from Mac desktop,since it's already installed in Applications folder

David Robley
Wrong email address on copy for OP who is not subscribed

already installed in Applications folder
Date: Mon, 20 May 2019 10:33:13 +0930
From: David Robley <[hidden email]>
To: [hidden email], Dan at News Media Services
<[hidden email]>

You may have the OpenOffice Quickstarter running; look in OpenOffice |
Preferences | OpenOffice | Memory and see if that option is checked. If
it is, you should be able to kill the process from the command line if
you are familiar with the relevant tools - ps and kill - or you could
uncheck the option and reboot.

go to http://openoffice.apache.org/mailing-lists.html As a courtesy I
have sent a copy of this reply to you as well as to the mailing list. Do
Not reply to me personally but just to the list at
will be ignored.

On 20/5/19 9:49 am, Dan at News Media Services wrote:

> Greetings,
>
> Running OO 4.1.6 on Mac OS (Mojave 10.14.4) - Chrome browser
>
> OO icon refuses to be ejected from my desktop - OO software already is
> installed in my MacBook Pro Applications folder, along with an alias
> (see attachment).
>
> When I right click on the OO desktop icon, and select “Eject
> OpenOffice” from the pop-up list, notice appears, /"'OpenOffice'
> wasn’t ejected because one or more programs may be using it."/ (see
> attachment).
>
> Thanks in advance for your expertise..

> For additional commands, e-mail:[hidden email]

Cheers
--
David Robley

I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally.

Re: Trying to delete OO icon from Mac desktop,since it's already installed in Applications folder

Dave Fisher
Hi Dan -

It is likely you started OpenOffice from the Disk Image. Quit OpenOffice and then Eject.

You should then be able to restart from the Applications folder. The first time you will need to press the control key and click in order to start.

Regards,
Dave

Sent from my iPhone

> On May 19, 2019, at 6:05 PM, David Robley <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Wrong email address on copy for OP who is not subscribed

  Thanks, Dave Fisher, for your advice - OO desktop disk drive icon finally disappeared from Mac desktop after following your instructions.
The OO gray hard rive icon reappeared on Mac desktop when I restarted (control key and left clicked on OO blue logo icon in Applications folder).
 Is it normal for the OO to remain on desktop, when I'm using program, until I eject it (right click on OO gray hard drive icon> left click Eject)?
Dan