UCB Query

Danny Cellucci
My name is Danny Cellucci, and I am a high school student who is really interested in participating in an Open Office. org project. I was wondering if you needed any help with your project involving the Universal Content Broker Project. I am fluent in C++, Java, and HTML/CSS and I am willing to do as much as i can to help you and your project.

Thanks
DC

RE: UCB Query

Dennis E. Hamilton
Have you received replies to your offers?

As an observer here, I would suggest that you take the following steps in
order to contribute to the UCB project:

1. Learn the tools you will need to use.  There are suggestions at
You will need the Developer's Guide, (25 MB PDF file at
http://api.openoffice.org/docs/DevelopersGuide/DevelopersGuide.pdf).  There
is more information about tools to use (especially C++ development, which is
how many UCB's are developed) at
(http://development.openoffice.org/#COMPONENTS).

There is an SDK with more information, including the Developers Guide, at
(http://download.openoffice.org/680/sdk.html).  This is a larger download,
the Windows version being about 50 MB.

As I recall, if you develop in VC++, you will need to use Visual C++ .NET
(2003) and you'll need a professional edition or else the full Visual Studio
.NET (2003).

2. Learn how to use and install an existing UCB.  Document what you
discover.  Share what you did for testing that a UCB was installed and
working.  This list is probably a good place.

3. Learn how to rebuild one of the existing UCBs from source code and
confirm that you have accomplished that.

4. Look at open issues in the UCB project and see if there is anything you
want to take on (including issues that you posted yourselves out of your
early explorations).

I think that would put you in a position to contribute from the very
beginning as well as learn something about UNO and the UCP approach that is
adapted for use in OpenOffice.org.

Good luck.

 - Dennis E. Hamilton

Re: UCB Query

Matthias Huetsch
Hi Dennis, Danny, funked,

Many thanks to Dennis for your suggestions, and for responding to
Danny's and funked's queries (unfortunately, I've been swamped with
other work, so I missed to respond earlier; sorry).

Indeed, the below suggestions can be good starting points to get
familiar with the UCB project and its components.

In addition, there is also a (short) list of suggested ToDo's for the
UCB project on the ToDo's web page
(http://development.openoffice.org/todo.html). The UCB-ToDo's are most
probably better suited for more experienced developers, but experience
can always be built while dealing with a problem.

Recently, particular interest arose in the area of the (still
experimental) ODMA content provider. So, the respective ToDo (make it
usable) might be an area where efforts are most valued.

Hope this helps, and thank you all for your interest,
Matthias

Dennis E. Hamilton wrote:

>Have you received replies to your offers?
>
>As an observer here, I would suggest that you take the following steps in
>order to contribute to the UCB project:
>
>1. Learn the tools you will need to use.  There are suggestions at
>You will need the Developer's Guide, (25 MB PDF file at
>http://api.openoffice.org/docs/DevelopersGuide/DevelopersGuide.pdf).  There
>is more information about tools to use (especially C++ development, which is
>how many UCB's are developed) at
>(http://development.openoffice.org/#COMPONENTS).
>
>There is an SDK with more information, including the Developers Guide, at
>(http://download.openoffice.org/680/sdk.html).  This is a larger download,
>the Windows version being about 50 MB.
>
>As I recall, if you develop in VC++, you will need to use Visual C++ .NET
>(2003) and you'll need a professional edition or else the full Visual Studio
>.NET (2003).
>

>2. Learn how to use and install an existing UCB.  Document what you
>discover.  Share what you did for testing that a UCB was installed and
>working.  This list is probably a good place.
>
>3. Learn how to rebuild one of the existing UCBs from source code and
>confirm that you have accomplished that.
>
>4. Look at open issues in the UCB project and see if there is anything you
>want to take on (including issues that you posted yourselves out of your
>early explorations).
>
>I think that would put you in a position to contribute from the very
>beginning as well as learn something about UNO and the UCP approach that is
>adapted for use in OpenOffice.org.
>
>Good luck.
>
> - Dennis E. Hamilton

RE: UCB Query

Dennis E. Hamilton
Thanks Matthias,

As the lone technical coordinator for ODMA, I am interested in any support I
can lend to making the ODMA Content Provider usable.  Although I don't have
the cycles for digging into OCP construction, I am happy to support anyone
in testing and troubleshooting such a development and also verifying the use
of the ODMA API in the Content Provider.

If Danny and funked want to work on stabilization and usability of the ODMA
Content Provider (OCP), I am happy to work along with them any way I can
(short of installing VS .NET 2003 - My C/C++ focus is entirely on the Visual
Studio 2005 Express Edition [;-).

 - Dennis

Dennis E. Hamilton
------------------
AIIM DMware Technical Coordinator
mailto:[hidden email] | gsm:+1-206.779.9430
http://DMware.info http://ODMA.info/ http://TROSTing.org

Many thanks to Dennis for your suggestions, and for responding to Danny's
and funked's queries (unfortunately, I've been swamped with other work, so I
missed to respond earlier; sorry).

Indeed, the below suggestions can be good starting points to get familiar
with the UCB project and its components.

In addition, there is also a (short) list of suggested ToDo's for the UCB
project on the ToDo's web page
(http://development.openoffice.org/todo.html). The UCB-ToDo's are most
probably better suited for more experienced developers, but experience can
always be built while dealing with a problem.

Recently, particular interest arose in the area of the (still
experimental) ODMA content provider. So, the respective ToDo (make it
usable) might be an area where efforts are most valued.

Hope this helps, and thank you all for your interest, Matthias

Dennis E. Hamilton wrote:
http://ucb.openoffice.org/servlets/ReadMsg?list=dev&msgNo=324

[ ... ]