Unable to Insert a Column

Vince@Gmail

AOO415m1(Build:9789)  -  Rev. 1817496
2017-12-11 17:25

Desktop Win10-64

____________________________________

Working with an existing Calc spreadsheet, I copied it in its entirety
to a new sheet. I now find that I am unable to insert a column anywhere
on the new targeted sheet. When I attempt to insert a column in the
targeted new sheet, I am shown the following error, which I have not
ever seen before.

/*Filled cells cannot be shifted beyond the sheet.*/

I am able to insert a new row.

Would like to find out what is causing this problem.  TNX.

Regards,

VinceB.

Re: Unable to Insert a Column

Brian Barker-2
At 11:03 23/05/2018 -0400, Vince Bonly wrote:
>Working with an existing Calc spreadsheet, I copied it in its
>entirety to a new sheet. I now find that I am unable to insert a
>column anywhere on the new targeted sheet. When I attempt to insert
>a column in the targeted new sheet, I am shown the following error,
>which I have not ever seen before.
>
>/*Filled cells cannot be shifted beyond the sheet.*/
>
>I am able to insert a new row.

In any spreadsheet application, there is a limit to the number of
columns (and rows) that you can use. The limits are so large that you
don't usually have to have any recognition of them. But when you
insert a column (or row), an existing column (or row) has to be
knocked of the side or bottom of the sheet. This is fine if that
column (or row) is empty - as will normally be the case - but not if
it contains a value or formula. If you cannot insert a column, there
must be something in the extreme right hand of the available columns;
that's *available* columns, of course - not just those you can see.

So why is there something in that column? Unless your active data is
unusually extensive, it is probable that you have used a technique to
fill at least one row indefinitely, perhaps using Edit | Fill > |
Series... or by selecting an entire row before pasting some content,
which will have put content into all the possible cells of that row.
The reason that you can insert new rows is simply because you have
not filled any column indefinitely in the same way.

There are various solutions:
o When filling the row or rows, avoid doing so indefinitely.
o Move to the right of the spreadsheet area that you are actually
meaning to use, and delete an unnecessary column or columns. This
will move the rogue material at the extreme right of the relevant row
in by a column or columns, leaving empty cells. You will now be able
to insert a column, dropping a new, empty column off at the right.

I trust this helps.

Brian Barker

Re: Unable to Insert a Column

Martin Groenescheij
Just place the cursor in row 1 of the column and it works.

Sent from my mobile device.

> On 24 May 2018, at 1:03 am, Vince@GMAIL <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

> AOO415m1(Build:9789)  -  Rev. 1817496
> 2017-12-11 17:25
>
> Desktop Win10-64
>
> ____________________________________
>
> Working with an existing Calc spreadsheet, I copied it in its entirety to a new sheet. I now find that I am unable to insert a column anywhere on the new targeted sheet. When I attempt to insert a column in the targeted new sheet, I am shown the following error, which I have not ever seen before.
>
> /*Filled cells cannot be shifted beyond the sheet.*/
>

> I am able to insert a new row.
>
> Would like to find out what is causing this problem.  TNX.
>

> Regards,
>
> VinceB.

Re: Unable to Insert a Column

Vince@Gmail
Cause of my problem has been found and removed! Yes; I had copied &
pasted an entire row from the original spreadsheet into my new targeted
sheet, and that filled every column.

On 5/23/2018 11:51 AM, Brian Barker wrote:

> At 11:03 23/05/2018 -0400, Vince Bonly wrote:
>> Working with an existing Calc spreadsheet, I copied it in its
>> entirety to a new sheet. I now find that I am unable to insert a
>> column anywhere on the new targeted sheet. When I attempt to insert a
>> column in the targeted new sheet, I am shown the following error,
>> which I have not ever seen before.
>>
>> /*Filled cells cannot be shifted beyond the sheet.*/
>>
>> I am able to insert a new row.
>
> In any spreadsheet application, there is a limit to the number of
> columns (and rows) that you can use. The limits are so large that you
> don't usually have to have any recognition of them. But when you
> insert a column (or row), an existing column (or row) has to be
> knocked of the side or bottom of the sheet. This is fine if that
> column (or row) is empty - as will normally be the case - but not if
> it contains a value or formula. If you cannot insert a column, there
> must be something in the extreme right hand of the available columns;
> that's *available* columns, of course - not just those you can see.
>
> So why is there something in that column? Unless your active data is
> unusually extensive, it is probable that you have used a technique to
> fill at least one row indefinitely, perhaps using Edit | Fill > |
> Series... or by selecting an entire row before pasting some content,
> which will have put content into all the possible cells of that row.
> The reason that you can insert new rows is simply because you have not
> filled any column indefinitely in the same way.
>
> There are various solutions:
> o When filling the row or rows, avoid doing so indefinitely.
> o Move to the right of the spreadsheet area that you are actually
> meaning to use, and delete an unnecessary column or columns. This will
> move the rogue material at the extreme right of the relevant row in by
> a column or columns, leaving empty cells. You will now be able to
> insert a column, dropping a new, empty column off at the right.
>
> I trust this helps.
>
> Brian Barker

Re: Unable to Insert a Column

David Robley
On 05/24/2018 09:54 PM, Vince@GMAIL wrote:

> Cause of my problem has been found and removed! Yes; I had copied &
> pasted an entire row from the original spreadsheet into my new
> targeted sheet, and that filled every column.
>

> On 5/23/2018 11:51 AM, Brian Barker wrote:
>> At 11:03 23/05/2018 -0400, Vince Bonly wrote:
>>> Working with an existing Calc spreadsheet, I copied it in its
>>> entirety to a new sheet. I now find that I am unable to insert a
>>> column anywhere on the new targeted sheet. When I attempt to insert
>>> a column in the targeted new sheet, I am shown the following error,
>>> which I have not ever seen before.
>>>
>>> /*Filled cells cannot be shifted beyond the sheet.*/
>>>
>>> I am able to insert a new row.
>>
>> In any spreadsheet application, there is a limit to the number of
>> columns (and rows) that you can use. The limits are so large that you
>> don't usually have to have any recognition of them. But when you
>> insert a column (or row), an existing column (or row) has to be
>> knocked of the side or bottom of the sheet. This is fine if that
>> column (or row) is empty - as will normally be the case - but not if
>> it contains a value or formula. If you cannot insert a column, there
>> must be something in the extreme right hand of the available columns;
>> that's *available* columns, of course - not just those you can see.
>>
>> So why is there something in that column? Unless your active data is
>> unusually extensive, it is probable that you have used a technique to
>> fill at least one row indefinitely, perhaps using Edit | Fill > |
>> Series... or by selecting an entire row before pasting some content,
>> which will have put content into all the possible cells of that row.
>> The reason that you can insert new rows is simply because you have
>> not filled any column indefinitely in the same way.
>>
>> There are various solutions:
>> o When filling the row or rows, avoid doing so indefinitely.
>> o Move to the right of the spreadsheet area that you are actually
>> meaning to use, and delete an unnecessary column or columns. This
>> will move the rogue material at the extreme right of the relevant row
>> in by a column or columns, leaving empty cells. You will now be able
>> to insert a column, dropping a new, empty column off at the right.
>>
>> I trust this helps.
>>
>> Brian Barker

For future reference, you can find the last row/column in your sheet
that has data in it with Ctrl+End

Cheers
--
David Robley

You can never get rid of a bad temper by losing it.